Quantcast

Formula Cura + Shifter Mount options for small hands

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've gotten my wife hooked on mountain biking and we're starting to ride some rowdier trails now that we've gone through a job change and she has less time on call and we've moved back out west to Seattle.

She's also starting to notice the finer details of cockpit ergonomics, and the current generic clamp I have for her GX shifter kind of blows, and has the shifter paddles way to close to the grips (or too far away for her hand to reach).

She has relatively small hands to what I'm used to and think is great, and I wondered if anybody has any opinions on the Cura Mix Master vs the SRAM Matchmaker as far as positioning goes. I know I preferred the SRAM Matchmaker when I was comparing them, but my hands are much bigger. If anybody has particularly small hands, or has set this up on their kids/wifes bike, I'd love to hear any thoughts before I start throwing my credit card at things until they work.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
One cool thing with the SRAM matchmaker stuff is if you get the pair of clamps you can use either the LHS or RHS side to position the shifter closer or further, plus there are two mounting holes on most of the shifters for more fine tuning. I don't think the Cura vs SRAM mounts will change position any more than those options will.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I think Formula shares the same half-bar clamp as Magura and Hope. Magura makes "ShiftMix" adapters that give you a decent range if you get both the right and left options.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I used to have the Formula version with my RO's and SRAM shifter on my DH bikes. I think they had a reasonable ability to rotate around the bar. I don't know if there's much of a difference for reach changes between the two systems, My RO levers would have been bad for small hands though.