Quantcast

Formula RX Brake

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Been looking at the new RX brake. Its supposed to be an AM brake, not DH break, but considering its low price, I was wondering if it was any good. Anyone have any miles on these? I've been on Formula the ones loved them, used to love my K-18 which had loads of power. Im thinking these are kinda in between? Any input?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Just put my brakes on today and did a short ride around the block. So far it seems they are proper brakes, but they really need to be broken in yet. My front brake has some weird setup issue where I can't adjust the lever reach close enough to the bar, it's just a tiny bit from my desired position. It might be the Hayes rotor too... Hopefully after some pad wear, this will become a non issue.
They are not rated for DH but they do appear on some DH bikes (e.g. Summum). Formula has bigger brakes in their line up (Mega, The One), but if you are looking for fair price, low weight, quality and reliable operation, these might win over other 2-pot offerings like Juicy, Elixir and SLX. If weight is your primary issue, I'd go for the R1 instead, but overall I hope the RX was a good choice for my AM/FR rig.
Not sure about the aftermarket pricing, but they are definitely more expensive than competition. I was lucky enough to get a new OEM pair with 6'' discs for less than 160€.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I've seen a pair on ebay for a real good price, just wondering if they will hold on DH abuse. My k18 did. I saw them on the summun today and thought about them again. Just want to hear real world experience.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I've been running them on a turner flux "trail" bike for about 7 months now, no issues what so ever. I'm only running 160mm rotors but the power from them far exceeds a juicy with the same size rotor. Saying that I haven't had any big stacks, but I can't see them being any more fragile that the new one lever?

I wouldn't have any concerns running them on my dh bike with 203mm rotors.
For being Formulas "budget" brake they are impressive.