Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So, couple of options:

Front: brand new ST 2.5 High Roller
Rear: brand new ST 2.5 High Roller

Front: slightly-worn few-years-old (will the rubber still be good?) Comp 32
Rear: brand new ST 2.5 High Roller

Or should I think about buying one/two 2.7" 'rollers?

Course is essentially dry I think, and forecast is for breeze and sun over the weekend, so any residual dampness should dry up. No idea what the bottom woods will be like, but the race is won/lost on the open top section I'm sure.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I have no idea why you would consider anything bigger than 2.5 up there. Stick the HRs on and go - the last thing you want is some massive heavy tyre on either the first or last (especially the last!) sections

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Because I'm scared of the rocks mark! And of the punctures, more to the point. Last year I was over 40psi before I stopped flatting! :) Apparently Cathro runs 50!!!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Always Minions for me. Doesn't matter whether it's wet or dry up there.

Last year size wise I ran a 2.5 front and 2.35 rear with no problems, I'm a slow arse senior tho!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'm gonna try my front one this year for ****s and giggles if it lasts Glencoe!

Anyway, have you tried a 721? They are more likely to dent a little bit and not puncture rather than pinch a tyre/tube like the 823's can.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've not - I have 823s so I'll stick with them, not going to rebuild my wheels just to avoid a possible puncture. If I run the new 2.5s I'll set them up tubeless to minimise punctureness - the comp32 is probably tired enough that it would need a tube. Hope my sealant's still good, not used it for a while...

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seb, if you're spending your own money buy yourself a couple of DHFs - V much doubt you'll regret it. I agree with Mark n MonkeyFeck on size, and 40psi is about the minimum I ever run a rear tyre there too.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I bought some before but got 2.35s and never got around to trying them, and ended up passing them on to a friend who needed some tyres at a race that had none for sale. You reckon DHFs roll better than high rollers? I won't be able to get any at a decent price before the weekend anyway, so it's a moot point I think :) Next year!

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You reckon DHFs roll better than high rollers?
Too hard for me to tell, every tyre I run rolls faster than my lightweight low tyre pressure running riding mates and I only ever use HRs as a rear tyre
I've never liked a high roller upfront, kinda weird coz I loved comp 16s

there is a noticable difference in rolling/acceleration speed by switching from a 2.5 to a 2.35 rear tho (partly down to the size/weight but also from having to run slightly higher pressures I'd imagine and probably more noticable for me since my local is the not exactly gnar, inners)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How the hell you manage to puncture anything with sealant? Imho the best option for no flats would be a thick tube + sealant + a good tire. In my days of puncture 3times a day it fixed all my problems for over 1.5 year.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
tbh i rock higher pressures than normal at ft.bill and I only weigh 9.5st! (Monkeyf*cker aint much better, we've seen him getting blown clean off the track ;) ) As gary says DHFs are the way forward, but HRs would be fine too