Quantcast

Fort William World Cup DH 2012- official?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So excited to have back to back weekends of World Cups!

1 Gwin
2 Hill
3 Minnar
4 Cole
5 Peat

Hopeful for Hill, I know, but I'm rooting for him! Gwin seems a bit inevitable at the moment...

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
What is the best track for spectating in Europe? My wife and I will be traveling around Europe next summer, so I'd like to plan the trip around the best WC to see in person.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
What is the best track for spectating in Europe? My wife and I will be travelling around Europe next summer, so I'd like to plan the trip around the best WC to see in person.
You'd be hard press to pick a bad one... I've only been to Ft. William: It's an awesome event with a great atmosphere, Scotland is amazing to visit - awesome scenery, great history, great mountain hikes, distilleries, etc. Bad thing is weather, mosquitoes, and somewhat pricey. France and Italy would be awesome too, but with better weather and better food!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
1. Gwin
2. Minnaar
3. Hart
4. Gee
5. Cole
Mick, Hill, Blenki close behind.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
What is the best track for spectating in Europe? My wife and I will be travelling around Europe next summer, so I'd like to plan the trip around the best WC to see in person.
I've been to world cups for 20+ years, and I make it a point to get to Fort William every chance I get. Unmatched energy in that place, must be an ancient alien landing site. You have to go with the usual suspects on this track, but I am expecting Brook Mcdonald to get on the podium, he is riding well. I always thought you HAVE to be big and burly to succeed at Ft. william, but Hart proved me wrong, in addition to other little guys of the past.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i heard that sam hill guy one a big one there one time. you know, back when he was skinny

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I heard that Greg guy has won there 4 times, 3 of last 5 races, podium 5 of last 5.
Gee won in 2010, and has been on podium the last five races.
Gwin qualied 1st last year, was up by 4 secs at second split, crashed and took fifth.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I hear that Kovarik once won there by like 14 seconds back when he used to race bicycles down mountains for a living...wait...what were we talking about?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I cant seem to find the Rider Entry list anywhere, id like to see whos on it so far.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Manon is out with a broken collarbone.
OK, that could slow her down a bit - I didn't realize she was actually broken.

It would be nice to see Jonnier have a good run, but she seems like she is really slowing down. Or the field is getting faster... hard to say. Looks like some nice new talent coming up though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Gwin
Minnaar
Gee
Hart
Cole

with Hill, MacDonald and Mick as wildcards. I think Smith, despite (or maybe because) of his hand will be in the top 10. Spagnolo too actually. I think if he stays as methodical and focused as he has demonstrated he can be, he could be right up there.

Rach'
Ragot
Nicole
Pugin
Hannah
With Carpenter as a wildcard

I think if Gwin keeps it together he will win by over 5 seconds again, but I hope Minnaar puts in the run of his life here... goddam I hope I can watch this race, it should be really exciting. I think it will be a good barometer for how the rest of the season will be with races like MSA and Windham on tap again... Hafjell sounds similar to Fort Bill: long, rocky and fitness oriented... Anyone know what the Val d'Isère track is like?

edited to add:
Manon is out with a broken collarbone.
there goes my womens wildcard... Sucks for her, she seems to really have put the work in, and this is as close to her home track as you get. I hope she heals up soon (and doesn't follow in Rachel's footsteps in the injusry department).

Seigenthaler is my wildcard then I'd say.

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Can I make the next rounds '-official' thread?
yes.

Leogang World Champs - only an hour away from salzburg.......
oohhhh, World Champs is tempting!

You'd be hard press to pick a bad one... I've only been to Ft. William: It's an awesome event with a great atmosphere, Scotland is amazing to visit - awesome scenery, great history, great mountain hikes, distilleries, etc. Bad thing is weather, mosquitoes, and somewhat pricey. France and Italy would be awesome too, but with better weather and better food!
Glad to hear it's hard to pick a bad one- atmoshphere and other activities will be an important thing since my wife itsn't quite as psyched on the racing as I am!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I've been to world cups for 20+ years, and I make it a point to get to Fort William every chance I get. Unmatched energy in that place, must be an ancient alien landing site. You have to go with the usual suspects on this track, but I am expecting Brook Mcdonald to get on the podium, he is riding well. I always thought you HAVE to be big and burly to succeed at Ft. william, but Hart proved me wrong, in addition to other little guys of the past.
Second vote for Ft. Bill, especially from a guy who has been to many is pretty convincing! I think I'll be setting my sights on that to arrange the trip around. Thanks everyone for the input-

so psyched to watch the race this weekend!!!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I made a spreadsheet of the top 10 finishers at the last 5 UCI races at Fort Bill.

Minnaar has won 3 of 5, podiumed all 5.

Gee won once, podium all 5.

Sam won once, podium 3. DNS, injured 2010, 9th 2011 hampered by injury, fat, "head not in the game".

Gwin podium twice, top 10 3X, didn't race before 2009, his first UCI world cup, finishing top 10. 2011 got 5th WITH A CRASH.

Mick has podiumed twice.

No one else has been on the podium more than once in the last five years.

Blenki has been on the podium once, and top 10 all five races.
Cole has been on podium once, top 10 last two races.

Attachments

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so what's going on over there? teams rolled in and set up shop? course walk today? or is it UCI technical inspection? other than that new "motorway" bit, anything else new to the track? Any word on Stevie Smith's hand?

I feel like a crack addict, I need another fix after that great hit from VdS! this lack of coverage is making me itch!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Did anyone watch the VDS race through the redbull app and use airplay to project it to a TV? I did this but everytime I sat my ipad down for more than 3-4 minutes the feed would stop on the TV and I'd have to turn the ipad back on and hit the play button again.