Quantcast

Fort William World Cup DH 2012- official?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did I hear that right? Hill almost made up a 20 second deficit over the middle section? Holy cow...
Clearly, I heard wrong. Hill was 1.4s back at split 1 and lost a further 1.5s by split 2. A solid effort, but not the crazy stat I thought.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Broadcast seemed to be over real quick, was it just me or are there less cameras and less coverage of each rider since redbull took over from freecaster?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Interesting how much difference there was in the splits, Gee putting 1.6 into Gwin in the bottom 35 seconds. Hart 0.6 faster in 1st split, 0.8 faster in the bottom split.
Just doesn't look like a whitewash this time.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Tactical stopping used to be common. Isn't that why points started to be awarded for qualifiers?

Just taking it to the next level. IMO, Martin Whitley told Monkdawg to put the new tyres on, then told Gwin that they were a special compound you he could definitely go around the outside on turn 4 using them! Gwin probably mentioned that "nobody goes round the outside on turn 4", but Whitley insisted that it was all good..... or something to that effect ;)

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
woke up at 8am pst, watched the top 5, went back to bed.....lame-o coverage, glad I didn't get up especially to watch....awesome to see bryceland in the mix!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great to see Hill really getting into his grove again I think that is really good for the WC. Also great to see Danny great representing as the world champ. I am still surprised he did not do better last weekend.

Sucks today that the rain ruined the camera visibility not the most interesting feed. Warner sounded very laid back today but again great feed quality and sound. With lack of cameras I wish we would get better split times on the screen. Is that available online live during the race?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yes it is on the UCI website

www.uci.ch

easier: just search for "uci live timing" during the event. this will bring you there.
today it bugged out at least did so for me, did not refresh anymore at a certain point of the event

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Great to see Hill really getting into his grove again I think that is really good for the WC. Also great to see Danny great representing as the world champ. I am still surprised he did not do better last weekend.

Sucks today that the rain ruined the camera visibility not the most interesting feed. Warner sounded very laid back today but again great feed quality and sound. With lack of cameras I wish we would get better split times on the screen. Is that available online live during the race?
the soundmixing was terrible today. 2x the previous shown interview could be heard again and various counts of the start beep when they showed scenes from the bottom...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I guess I have to admit I was wrong, gwin only won by .8 seconds, not the 3 I was predicting, and hill didn't get 2nd, or even 3rd, he got 4th.

Still though, rock jesus and eyebrows...mixing it up on the podium.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Great race. A bit bummed for Slugger, he definitely deserves it. But that's racing I guess. Glad to see Hill and Hart back on the podium. Also glad for Ratboy. The rainmen definitely made it.:thumb:
I would have loved to see Bulldog and Smith in the top ten too. What happened to Smith? It didn't seem like he had a crash.

The good thing is that the gap to Gwin is getting smaller. That's definitely good. Not that I don't like him but it gets boring with only one guy on the top step.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Not sure the gap is getting smaller or larger. Gwin won huge on his favorite track last week. This week he was sick on Friday and only took a couple runs. Then has two get offs in qualis, and still pulled out a winning run. He said he never really had it all weekend and that he was just trying to get down on the bottom. Sounds to me like an elete athlete doing what he has to do to win.

Hart pretty much said he had a banger run, and didn't beat an under the weather Gwin.

I thought the overall feed kinda sucked. I'm grateful to be able to watch for free but the lack of cameras sucked. They clearly had the cameras but for whatever reason chose not to use them on most of the riders. I really can't complain though. I'm off the bike with a broken clavicle so the coverage is all I have.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Oh, I didn't know that. But at the other hand, he always says that he could have done more. As for getting sick before the race, winning is more than impressive.
He definitely owns it at the moment. Second Nicolas Vouillouz?

alienconsistency
Is he from Roswell? That would explain a few things...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Oh, I didn't know that. But at the other hand, he always says that he could have done more. As for getting sick before the race, winning is more than impressive.
He definitely owns it at the moment. Second Nicolas Vouillouz?
Gwin's on a roll, but that rainbow run of Vouilloz's will be tough to match.

Also, Vouilloz brought a certain focus on technology that Gwin may not have an opportunity to bring.

Pioneer vs. modern-day master.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was a little disappointed by the coverage too. I guess there wasn't much they could do with the weather at the top. I also imagine it's a function of how great the coverage was at PMB and VDS. I'm also a little pissed that they put the results of the race in the title of the link to watch the replay. FFS folks, is is that hard to figure that people who want to watch the replay don't want to know what the outcome of the race is before they invest two hours to watch it? Nevertheless, I'm still grateful for the coverage, and the quick turnaround in uploading the replay. I will continue to purchase Redbull.

As for the race itself. It seemed anticlimactic; and not because Gwin won again, but more because for whatever reason, all others (except for Hart) didn't perform to their potential. It was good to see Hart put a good effort and get a good result. It's great to see Sam start to click again. I was disappointed that a mechanical slowed Greg down on a course that's well suited to him. Oh well, that's racing I guess...

Looking forward to MSM

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I was disappointed that a mechanical slowed Greg down on a course that's well suited to him. Oh well, that's racing I guess...

Looking forward to MSM
I am not so bummed about that after hearing his last interview. Anytime you gamble with tactical 2nd place finishes, or hoping someone else pushes too hard and crashes, in hopes of winning the overall...well sh1t happens as they say. Maybe that statement was an excuse for being beaten so badly, but I would rather see everyone of the top contenders putting it all out there on their race runs.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Putting it all out there? Yeah, he put it all out there. He knew that he could be over his head at 1% more, so he backed off and played it smart but still insanely fast. It was brilliant strategy.

As for the mood of things, I don't think the weather was the big mood killer. It was Gwin crushing so early in the live broadcast and the other top contenders missing their mark so far up the hill. Live timing is great when it pans out that the times are close the whole way and people slip back at the end.

But when the best come down already off Gwin's pace for 20+ riders in a row, you can't put drama into that moment. The only way that happens is if the guy sitting there for 20+ riders is a junior.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I am not so bummed about that after hearing his last interview. Anytime you gamble with tactical 2nd place finishes, or hoping someone else pushes too hard and crashes, in hopes of winning the overall...well sh1t happens as they say. Maybe that statement was an excuse for being beaten so badly, but I would rather see everyone of the top contenders putting it all out there on their race runs.
So are you suggesting that Greg just made up his mechanical issue? Awesome...IMO, Greg thought he had a real chance to win here (vs. VDS) and was going to "let it all hang out", and for all we know he was a little too aggressive and may be smashed up his chain guide. I have no problem with his "strategy" at VDS, especially in light of what happened to Ced and many other riders being a little uneasy about really pinning it there. And FWIW, Minnaar (the scared little girl) managed to win the first round, finished second at VDS, and almost end up on the podium at Bill (mech or not), which doesn't seem so terrible to me. I wish I was that big of a poon.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Interesting to see that he is running Times. Crank Bros on Gee and Rach's bike. Maybe Shimano needs to think about updating their DH pedal?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
why would shimano re-design the best pedal ever made? the dx is pretty much the most reliable product I've ever owned. lasts through years of hard abuse and keeps on trucking with no maintenance required.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
why would shimano re-design the best pedal ever made? the dx is pretty much the most reliable product I've ever owned. lasts through years of hard abuse and keeps on trucking with no maintenance required.
Accidental release is a problem for some riders on SPD's. That's why the Time and Crankbros stuff is on bikes- the lateral float on those systems nearly eliminates blowing off the pedals and it's why Shimano has made a few pair of extra heavily sprung DX pedals for some riders over the last 4 years.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Accidental release is a problem for some riders on SPD's. That's why the Time and Crankbros stuff is on bikes- the lateral float on those systems nearly eliminates blowing off the pedals and it's why Shimano has made a few pair of extra heavily sprung DX pedals for some riders over the last 4 years.
That plus in case of a mud apocalypse newer dx can still clog easier than time.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
what? accidental release? I dunno about that man, CB was the absolute worst for being not clipped in when you thought you were....adjustable tension pretty much ensures you know exactly when you're at the end of your float. agree to disagree I guess....dx's are pretty much the only pedal on all my bikes...save truvativ flats on the dj/pumptracker