Quantcast

Fort William World Cup - Live Thread

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I bet he kills it at the next round.
Either that or he will do poor this year and get pissed then come back next year and blitz everyone!

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I think you may have hit the nail on the head in that one sentence. How many years has he been chasing those rainbow stripes? He finally got them last year in Canberra, and I don't think anyone could argue that he hasn't been quite the same rider since (including last year's only WC after the World Championships - Schladming - where he was further off the pace than most of the other WC's last year).

I'm as big of a fan of Peat as anyone - I love the guy - but it's only human nature for there to be at least some small amount of let down in 'drive' after you've achieved a goal you've been chasing your entire life.
I completely agree that the internal fire is key.

The strongest guy on hill will not win if he's not hungry, but the most hungry guy on the hill can win even if he's not the strongest.

That said, I sure as heck am not counting Peaty out. Let him have a down season, train like heck all winter and come back swingin'!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Let him have a down season, train like heck all winter and come back swingin'!
screw that! don't call him off for two races - just hope his head isn't right and he'll come back this next round. I think fitness level is pretty high through the entire top level, I don't think you could do as well as he is without being super fit. I'm betting he just needs to chill out a little, binge drink a bit, and it'll be all good.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Cant remember where I saw or read it but Peaty in an interview once said that he seems to do poorly the year after he wins the world cup overall (the interview pre dated his world champs win). Perhaps just the same thing - whether its "goal achieved" or pressure to back up on the performance, it just may not gel with his head.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would have thought tallent would never decline. Some guys are just hella fast.
Fitness will get harder to handle pushing 40 but natural talent will never fade I dont think.
wouldn't have though fitness would drop too much at 40 (especially endurance fitness needed on longer rougher tracks).. motivation/drive to pin it every week with a couple of growing kids and the lifestyle change that brings might tho. look at most of our top 40+ Vets, they are all very fit and obviously talented but most ride in a consistent/calculated manner rather than pinning everything like the younger guys and to watch they rarely get loose or even look stylish. Peat managed to get uncharacteristically loose and rode with style last year and it was an amazing year for him, but I honestly can't see him keeping that up for many more years. (it'd be amazing if he does tho)

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
wouldn't have though fitness would drop too much at 40 (especially endurance fitness needed on longer rougher tracks).. motivation/drive to pin it every week with a couple of growing kids and the lifestyle change that brings might tho. look at most of our top 40+ Vets, they are all very fit and obviously talented but most ride in a consistent/calculated manner rather than pinning everything like the younger guys and to watch they rarely get loose or even look stylish. Peat managed to get uncharacteristically loose and rode with style last year and it was an amazing year for him, but I honestly can't see him keeping that up for many more years. (it'd be amazing if he does tho)
Just look at Ned Overend! :eek:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I remember his foot getting turned backward, what other serious ones (honestly interested). I have it in my head that he's been pretty light on injuries, especially given the length of his career...
There was a one pager in Dirt, Peaty in his skivvies, arrows to all his past injuries. There were plenty, although perhaps not as serious as say Fabien or Matti.

Not sure I'd consider Peaty a light drinker, at least not on the American scale. Maybe on the British scale. Not that I've ever had a pint with him.

One thing is that cycling is lower impact on your joints than a lot of other sports, so longevity is a bit more feasible.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Here's a thought. Since a quarter of the points per round that the scoring system is based on are no longer available to riders, shouldn't they reduce the gap on points for each position by the same percentage to maintain the integrity of the scoring system?
If the UCI did exactly as you suggest, then it will make no difference other than appearing to be a close points race when in fact it is essentially the same. If they reduce the gap between positions by the same percentage the result is no different than what happens when you reduce fractions. The gaps between numbers gets bigger or smaller but the actual ratio stays unchanged.

you could have a point spread for 1st -3rd that goes 200, 160, 120 or it could be 5, 4, 3. the latter makes the points race seem tight (like F1 and Supercross) but they are actually both the same.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Re Sam Hills crash, sorry if it may have been asked but was he wearing his Leatt Brace at the time?

Just interested to know seeing the damage to the bike and him not riding afterward s to compete, such a crash, be good to know if this prevented worse injury or if he wasn't wearing it might have had some contribution to him not being able to race in the end, cheers! This is a serious question not stirring appreciate serious replies thanx :thumb:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Re Sam Hills crash, sorry if it may have been asked but was he wearing his Leatt Brace at the time?

Just interested to know seeing the damage to the bike and him not riding afterward s to compete, such a crash, be good to know if this prevented worse injury or if he wasn't wearing it might have had some contribution to him not being able to race in the end, cheers! This is a serious question not stirring appreciate serious replies thanx :thumb:
ummm... he did't ride because he hurt his shoulder, not his neck

riders have been getting injured and bikes broken long before the Leatt Brace came along. playing the "would a rider be better/worse after a crash if the did/didn't wear one" is pretty useless.

this was a serious answer.

And yes.... he was wearing it. If you looked at the same pictures in the same that have been posted all over the place you would have seen the pics of him walking down to the pits carrying his helmet and Leatt Brace.
http://dirt.mpora.com/news/sam-hill-fort-william-smash.html

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
ummm... he did't ride because he hurt his shoulder, not his neck

riders have been getting injured and bikes broken long before the Leatt Brace came along. playing the "would a rider be better/worse after a crash if the did/didn't wear one" is pretty useless.

this was a serious answer.

And yes.... he was wearing it. If you looked at the same pictures in the same that have been posted all over the place you would have seen the pics of him walking down to the pits carrying his helmet and Leatt Brace.
http://dirt.mpora.com/news/sam-hill-fort-william-smash.html
Thanx, I think

Yeah I know that, Ive been racing for over 30years, Ive had most injuries myself, I was not looking for justification, just interested to know!

Thanx for your serious answer though.

Some of us don't have all day internet access either, appreciate the typical RM response :thumb:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

It seems obvious to me that the Leat Brace must have been the cause of Sam's crash at Fort William, he's only a little guy so sticking a heavy brace high up on his neck must have altered his centre of gravity so much that rather than railing corners no-one else could make, it caused him to not even make a relitively easy turn. the change in weight distribution from choosing to wear lycra had a similar effect in Val de sol. ;)

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
It seems obvious to me that the Leat Brace must have been the cause of Sam's crash at Fort William, he's only a little guy so sticking a heavy brace high up on his neck must have altered his centre of gravity so much that rather than railing corners no-one else could make, it caused him to not even make a relitively easy turn. the change in weight distribution from choosing to wear lycra had a similar effect in Val de sol. ;)
But what of his crash in Maribor? The elevation at Maribor would have offset the extra weight from the Leatt. There has got to be something more going on. I'm calling it now, a UCI conspiracy to give their favorite riders WC wins.