Quantcast

Fort William World Cup - Live Thread

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I understand that its downhill and last time I checked, part of being a pro downhiller is not to push so hard as to crash out and potentially ruin your race during practice. Sure, this is e-spec but generally you crash when you're pushing the limits(Hill at worlds last year, Fairclough at schladming last year etc.), not saying freak accidents dont happen though. Hill has never been known to put it all on the line for a timed run. Before this year, Hill wasnt known for crashing. He's always been one of the smoothest, tidiest riders on the circuit before 09. And suddenly why all the crashing?(le bresse(I think, might have been andorra though) last year, worlds last year, maribor this year). The top boys are pushing harder than ever and theres no doubting that. When last did Minnaar, Hill, Peat or Gee crash this hard or even close during practice?

Im not taking a stab at him, just commenting on what I've noticed in general among all the top riders, it was just Sam's luck that I chose this crash to use as an example.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I understand that its downhill and last time I checked, part of being a pro downhiller is not to push so hard as to crash out and potentially ruin your race during practice. Sure, this is e-spec but generally you crash when you're pushing the limits(Hill at worlds last year, Fairclough at schladming last year etc.), not saying freak accidents dont happen though. Hill has never been known to put it all on the line for a timed run. Before this year, Hill wasnt known for crashing. He's always been one of the smoothest, tidiest riders on the circuit before 09. And suddenly why all the crashing?(le bresse(I think, might have been andorra though) last year, worlds last year, maribor this year). The top boys are pushing harder than ever and theres no doubting that. When last did Minnaar, Hill, Peat or Gee crash this hard or even close during practice?

Im not taking a stab at him, just commenting on what I've noticed in general among all the top riders, it was just Sam's luck that I chose this crash to use as an example.
Gee spends quite a bit of time on the ground during practice actually, and the rest of those guys crash in practice too. their bikes usually dont get destroyed and it isn't caught on camera so you don't see it, but they all crash. Sam hit a big rock going fast (we presume) and broke his wheels to bits, that much seems apparent, but you're taking a lot of liberties in suggesting there's some bigger conclusion to be drawn from it.

heck, he might not have been going hard at all for all we know and just crashed in a rather unfortunate spot with big consequences. you don't have to be going balls to the wall ragged with your hair on fire to destroy yourself or your bike.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Gee spends quite a bit of time on the ground during practice actually, and the rest of those guys crash in practice too. their bikes usually dont get destroyed and it isn't caught on camera so you don't see it, but they all crash. Sam hit a big rock going fast (we presume) and broke his wheels to bits, that much seems apparent, but you're taking a lot of liberties in suggesting there's some bigger conclusion to be drawn from it.

heck, he might not have been going hard at all for all we know and just crashed in a rather unfortunate spot with big consequences. you don't have to be going balls to the wall ragged with your hair on fire to destroy yourself or your bike.
I think it's pretty clear that we can tell exactly what he's thinking from the other side of the world. His girlfriend's obviously pregnant if he's crashing hard enough to destroy wheels AND IT ISN'T EVEN A RACE RUN. Jeez, I never crash unless it's a race run. Or unless I make a mistake.

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Thank you for that. Found a couple of USA riders in the mix.
CARNEY Blake
USA19910128
30 Q
46.186 +04.685
JAKUBIAK Jarrod
USA19830520
31 Q
46.309 +04.808

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Ok, I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the top guys generally kept away from the ground on race weekend, especially Sam. I'll go back to studying for my engineering maths final in 2 hours:eek:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
So any word on Hill's status?

As an aside, does he armor up for practice? I saw he was wearing the Leatt.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Supposedly he's "ok" but with possible shoulder ligament damage. Dirt are saying he plans to start his qualifying run (required) but then pull over and rest up for his finals run (he doesn't need to qualify, after all). As far as I know the rules can be interpreted as "roll through the start gate, then exit the course and walk across to the gondola and get that down".

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
123 KPH for Blenky, not bad! :)

whatever the issue it doesn't seem to be affecting times. Although I did see a 4 minute interval for Hill come up and disappear.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, they're having some issues. Look at blenki and cole in 2nd and 3rd at the moment? Not with those middle-split times they're not! Something's gone wrong.

Cathro on it, fastest top split so far :)

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England
Watching the live timing, funny results, and subsequent corrections is entertainment in itself. Julian was showing a minute plus on the field for a few seconds.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Right now it looks as if hill didnt even start. no time and a DNF. Guess he doesnt want to quali and wants to rest up for tomorrow

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Matti 5th at the moment... So happy for this!!! He's such a great person, hope he can keep it tomorrow, greatest news!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah they kept on showing hill with slow split times, but then removing them. I think whenever someone went through a split whatever system UCI uses was trying to tag it as a rider who hadn't yet come down - i.e. Hill. Might be linked to the dodgy times we're seeing for Cole/Blenki too. Blenki MIGHT have qualified that well, even though I'd say the course doesn't play to his strengths, but I'm not buying Cole placing that highly at all - he's been ~60th in previous years.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Surprised you;re not all going mental at Gwin's position! Showing as 4th at the moment, though I think he's maybe higher, and only Kovarik/Affy still to come that can challenge, unless I've missed a name?

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
More impressed with Needles. Must have been the intense training and racing on the East Coast (USA!).
Nothing like a couple nights at the Vernon Inn to get you pumped up for World Cup action!!

Stoked for Needles, what a great guy.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That said I've just seen Cole was 9th at Maribor, so maybe he's pulled something out of his ass this year! And he was 6th at the pedalfest that's Pietermaritzburg last year, so clearly has power.

Bit of a result for him if it's right, good stuff!!

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England
Cole has been quietly moving up the ranks the last year or so. The other two MadCats showing some restraint? How many extra frames are lugged around by these teams?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Yea Gwin! Amazing hes become so consistent already, that seems like the type of thing that takes years of racing experience to be able to do.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Matti 5th at the moment... So happy for this!!! He's such a great person, hope he can keep it tomorrow, greatest news!!
Just gotta keep that thing on 2 wheels man, poor Matti hasn't been healthy in years..

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yeah they kept on showing hill with slow split times, but then removing them. I think whenever someone went through a split whatever system UCI uses was trying to tag it as a rider who hadn't yet come down - i.e. Hill. Might be linked to the dodgy times we're seeing for Cole/Blenki too. Blenki MIGHT have qualified that well, even though I'd say the course doesn't play to his strengths, but I'm not buying Cole placing that highly at all - he's been ~60th in previous years.
He got 3rd at Ft. William last year I believe