Quantcast

Fort William World Cup

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thanks a lot for that, nice to see that Gee took a different line in the first wood section, but mostly I enjoyed listening to those wacky commentators once again. :D :thumb:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
What's this about dodgy times? Never thought I'd hear that about a world cup? Wouldn't that be horrible. :O
I know Ben Reid and Bryn Atkinson did not receive proper times on the course. Apparently they passed riders who pulled out but were not given correct finishing times. Yes, this always happens at events, but you'd expect Fort William to have this all shaken out after what, seven years of hosting the event?

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Yep! agreed. They should use beam as back-up and chip as the norm. But, how accurate are they for time? to the thousandth? In an XC field it's just important who finishes in front of who, not the time differential.

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yep! agreed. They should use beam as back-up and chip as the norm. But, how accurate are they for time? to the thousandth? In an XC field it's just important who finishes in front of who, not the time differential.

-ska todd
up to 3 feet high off the ground and to 45mph. It's a self powered chip, not passive like Champion Chip. Mounts straight to your front fork leg.

It's what they use in the Tour de France so it's deadly accurate. But silly expensive unless you have multiple races like Diablo. Riders can actually buy their own chip. Hook the box to a laptop, the laptop to the internet..and get instant, live results online at www.mylaps.com. It would make an even better training tool than Fastlap too b/c at a ski resort, you could just hook it up, hand the rider their chip and let them do qualifying laps ALL DAY LONG. No wristwatch and no having to write your laps down. Just look online and every lap you did is right there.

If I could afford it, I'd run my races with open practice all day Saturday and everyone would be running qualifying laps the whole time without anybody being at the start or finish to track them. Sunday, seed them by their hot lap from Saturday.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If I could afford it, I'd run my races with open practice all day Saturday and everyone would be running qualifying laps the whole time without anybody being at the start or finish to track them. Sunday, seed them by their hot lap from Saturday.

was reading an article in the latest Dirt about just such a race in San Remo. course was open for 2 days with live timing the entire time. every run was timed so you could practice or take a 'hot lap' whenever you wanted. Fastest time posted over the weekend wins. sounds like a really fun way to run an event.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Will it calculate and pause for everyone stopping to watch people fall over each other at rock garden/drop off/chute/etc? :weee:

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Will it calculate and pause for everyone stopping to watch people fall over each other at rock garden/drop off/chute/etc? :weee:

-ska todd
only if you lay out a goat path and call it a DH.

Actually...I'd say guys would be more inclined to get up off the ground and out of the way if they knew a few hundred guys were breathing down their necks randomly pulling hot laps all day.

"Oh crap..if I lay here too long, I'm gonna be part of someone's track@"

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Well, then the course won't be g-nar enough and people will complain...

Agreed, maybe that will help up the level of competition and training and force people to ride faster in practice. I bet you can somehow set it up to wi-fi or bluetooth connect/email out run times to a cell phone or pda too :) mmm...dorkdom...mmm :nerd:

-ska todd

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Maybe every European who owns a DH bike doesn't automatically think it makes them a racer, or perhaps that isn't just an American problem. :cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well, then the course won't be g-nar enough and people will complain...

Agreed, maybe that will help up the level of competition and training and force people to ride faster in practice. I bet you can somehow set it up to wi-fi or bluetooth connect/email out run times to a cell phone or pda too :) mmm...dorkdom...mmm :nerd:

-ska todd
I was told you can do that. me making it happen is another thing...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

-ska todd
It would be a good way to document how the amateur practice at the US opens sucks. There is more riding in the parking lot than down the course during practice.