Quantcast

Fort William World Cup

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
So... will this stay a forum about world cup racing
or will it become a blog about each person loosing freecaster.
Hahahah, I think that the actual time commentary during races from all the monkeys is what is fun with these threads.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Hahahah, I think that the actual time commentary during races from all the monkeys is what is fun with these threads.
unless you visit the thread to get some current info and all there's posted is 3 word comments about the live feed.

May 12, 2008
So excited... got some rental glass coming in and getting some new radio slaves sorted so I don't have to rely on Nikon CLS like last year. 4 days of photography in the highlands, with the best mountain bikers in the world, and a ****load of ale.

Bring it! Be up there Thursday onward.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
looks like kyle strait is racing... haven't dont really pay attention to the freeride world save watching some movies and watching crankworx when its online, but is he transitioning over to racing? I think he used to be a pretty fast junior, got 3rd at worlds a long time ago, it'd be cool to see him move up in the standings and start putting up solid results (24th at maribar was pretty cool).
I think he's scared that all the attention is going to be on the specialized decline team instead of him pulling sweet back flips while he downs a can of PBR.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think he's scared that all the attention is going to be on the specialized decline team instead of him pulling sweet back flips while he downs a can of PBR.
woah, no need to harsh on the guy, by all measures he's doing pretty well at whatever type of riding he goes for - redbull rampage, crankworx, worlds, world cup circuit. I donno, he seems like a pretty solid rider for sure, it'd be nice to see an American up there on the podium, cool to see him move back to racing.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
You gotta remember how few on the circuit are 'world class' (train like pros, eat like pros, visualisation in their sleep, etc) athletes. I hear one particular drinking partier is on the verge of getting booted off a program. People are dumb.
hmmmm.... wonder who that could be :busted:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
woah, no need to harsh on the guy, by all measures he's doing pretty well at whatever type of riding he goes for - redbull rampage, crankworx, worlds, world cup circuit. I donno, he seems like a pretty solid rider for sure, it'd be nice to see an American up there on the podium, cool to see him move back to racing.
i'm not harshing on him at all. I think it is super sweet to see more 'mericans racing world cups. i personally think our best chances of having an american on a podium are luke ( strobel) and jd in a couple of years. It surprised thr crap out of me to see him on the start list. Go 'merica

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Kyle Strait has been racing for at least a few years on the circuit as I recall...mostly 4X, but have seen his name on several DH results as well. 'Merican DH is definitely on the rise in a big way. You can only get so low before things have to go up...I hope.

R

rb92078

If you didn't know Strait has gotten top 20 at more than a few world cup DH's in the last 3 years or so. The only difference is he's so good at the freeride stuff his race results often go unheard. I really hope he gives racing the attention it needs, cause he is definitely fast, and has proven himself just as much, if not more than Strobel, JD, or any other youngster in DH.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If you didn't know Strait has gotten top 20 at more than a few world cup DH's in the last 3 years or so. The only difference is he's so good at the freeride stuff his race results often go unheard. I really hope he gives racing the attention it needs, cause he is definitely fast, and has proven himself just as much, if not more than Strobel, JD, or any other youngster in DH.
this is indeed the first i've heard of him doing races in recent years! it'd be awesome to see him become a top contender in DH! not gonna be holding my breath for it with all the fast guys on the circuit, but it'd be cool to see anyway

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Is it just me or does it seem like the merican racers are more focused on trying to qualify than trying to win? There is a definite mental block that needs to be shattered for the boys to start racing like they know how to ride.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Is it just me or does it seem like the merican racers are more focused on trying to qualify than trying to win? There is a definite mental block that needs to be shattered for the boys to start racing like they know how to ride.
You're probably right to a certain degree. It HAS been a while since we've (Mericans) been in the habit of perching upon WC podiums (at least DH). I think we may have forgotten how to carry the swagger at that level, but I see a little spring in the collective stride as of late that makes me think those days may soon pass.

*crosses fingers*

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So, what odds can I get for my £10 on the Athertons to pull off another clean sweep, two in back-to-back World Cups? :D

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
this is indeed the first i've heard of him doing races in recent years! it'd be awesome to see him become a top contender in DH! not gonna be holding my breath for it with all the fast guys on the circuit, but it'd be cool to see anyway
Google this:
strait site:uci.ch

You'll see he's been in a ton of races over the last few years.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
To be fair there were 50 brits at Maribor too! Admittedly out of 300ish as opposed to 200 this time, still a massive turnout though!
The UK is a giant slow creeping blob that will quietly take over the DH world....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

He showed up at the US Open and they said his DH bike didn't show? So anyway...not sure why, but he didn't feel the need to make other arrangements to race DH and just freerode on his small bikes all weekend.

I was told Decline riders offered their borrowed rigs and he "declined" to on grounds he would risk breaking their bike and outing them for the race. I called lazy ass shenanigans on that one. Not because I dislike the guy...but there is no way Spec couldn't get him a bike to race if they truly gave a crap.
This reason (again, secondhand info) to me was a load of crap if he has an ounce of seriousness about racing. I know nobody who is an elite racer who would sit out the Open for that reason.

Not to mention, Sunday night as some of us were packing up the Morewood tent, Neko's little brother was carrying what looked like a new Team Decline frame with him back to the car that they were letting him borrow to race Mt. Snow the following weekend. So if they had a frame to give that kid, Strait could have pieced together something.

But seriously, if any of you have any aspirations of thinking Strait is dedicated enough to make a dent in the World Cup for an extended period of time, you're kidding yourself. He's placing where he is on talent alone, not training.

What really bugs me is that his sponsors foot the bill. No other sport do I know of a sponsor who would drop several grand on a kid to race without being 100% commited to it. I mean...half ass exposure?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
He showed up at the US Open and they said his DH bike didn't show? So anyway...not sure why, but he didn't feel the need to make other arrangements to race DH and just freerode on his small bikes all weekend.

I was told Decline riders offered their borrowed rigs and he "declined" to on grounds he would risk breaking their bike and outing them for the race. I called lazy ass shenanigans on that one. Not because I dislike the guy...but there is no way Spec couldn't get him a bike to race if they truly gave a crap.
This reason (again, secondhand info) to me was a load of crap if he has an ounce of seriousness about racing. I know nobody who is an elite racer who would sit out the Open for that reason.

Not to mention, Sunday night as some of us were packing up the Morewood tent, Neko's little brother was carrying what looked like a new Team Decline frame with him back to the car that they were letting him borrow to race Mt. Snow the following weekend. So if they had a frame to give that kid, Strait could have pieced together something.

But seriously, if any of you have any aspirations of thinking Strait is dedicated enough to make a dent in the World Cup for an extended period of time, you're kidding yourself. He's placing where he is on talent alone, not training.

What really bugs me is that his sponsors foot the bill. No other sport do I know of a sponsor who would drop several grand on a kid to race without being 100% commited to it. I mean...half ass exposure?
I think you might have just learned that the US Open is not as big a deal as some make it out to be:poster_oops:

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
strait's half-assed effort is still a lot better than most people's 110%. that's why they keep footing the bill. i think he's racing just because he feels like it, not because someone at a head office is telling him to.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Seems like as the money shifts back to racing and names like Strobel, Beyttagh, etc, etc are becoming more recognizable than the freeriders that were so popular a few yrs ago, Strait is planning ahead by keeping his foot in the door of the racing scene, so he can continue making a living riding bikes. Riding for a company like Specialized who is likely to fire all their Freeriders tomorrow, and be a race only company as long as it's the in thing, has got to make him sweat a bit.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
FW world cup Preview video on Freecaster - what was that all about?

The Maribor track walk with Julien and Andora track description with Rob was pretty cool - but this one fell a bit short. Is the track any different than last year? new sections? longer? shorter? etc...

Cheers!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
FW world cup Preview video on Freecaster - what was that all about?

The Maribor track walk with Julien and Andora track description with Rob was pretty cool - but this one fell a bit short. Is the track any different than last year? new sections? longer? shorter? etc...

Cheers!
There is a proper course walk coming. That was just us wasting day 1 and getting some content up.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
super :thumb: can't wait to check that out. very curious to see if there has been any changes to the course since last year.

thanks!
- Luc
One change, no rockgarden, they have put in a new line which bypasses, so you now enter the motorway faster than before.