Quantcast

Fort Williams 2018: The Lizard Rockgardening.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I honestly don't remember what they were. I just remember that they were the lightest weight tubes my shop sold for MTB sizes, and they weighed out at 90-100g, and I one tube the entire summer, even though I went through said 6 rims. I guess my point is, flat avoidance was largely solved with tubes, and for some reason we switched to a shittier system that gets more flats with the extremely dubious claim of weighing less.
Oh... I agree. when I rode way more DH I always took 2 wheelsets (the spare was tyred with discs and a cassette) with me ready to fit in seconds. I fully expected rims to fail and treated them as disposable items as much as tyres. Nowadays folk think nothing of spending hunderds on Carbon rims and clearly aren't treating them like consumables anymore.
Just surprised at the weight of the tubes you used. If you remember the make post it up. cheap, super lightweight tubes would be handy for carrying derp style on bikes that are reliably tubeless.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Me too. Had a puncture on the all mountain bike every now and then, if not running lots of air, too much for my liking. After switching to UST and then tape and sealant later, i got a total of three punctures in 7 years.
On the DH bike I still use dualply and tubes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Would be cool to see the data on this. Anecdotally though, every time there is a platform shift, things get crappy for a bit. Remember 27.5 and all the wheels flexing all over the place, flatting like mad?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
And snapped chains in DH, those didn’t happen in the 8 and 9spd days.