Quantcast

Fort Willy

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do some of them really run no bash guard/plate?

Seems absurd to risk ending a race run for something that weighs a few grams and doesn't really hinder anything? What's the benefit of not running one?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
even with a bash guard, if you just have the plate on the inside of the chainring, a rock strike from the outside could be enough to break some teeth or even bend your chainring.
I don't know about todays guard but a few years ago a lot of them were made of cheesium or of brittle plastic... it might be ok for chain retention but not so much for bashing

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
even with a bash guard, if you just have the plate on the inside of the chainring, a rock strike from the outside could be enough to break some teeth or even bend your chainring.
I don't know about todays guard but a few years ago a lot of them were made of cheesium or of brittle plastic... it might be ok for chain retention but not so much for bashing
I find that highly unlikely.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
do you even read the thread?
I missed a post, put it on my annual evaluation. I hope this doesn't affect my chances for promotion.

On the commentary: Reece Wilson was very good last year, and that's with no training. Red Bull has their presenters go through a crash course before they get on the mic, and that seemed to help Warner.

On chain retention, I recall seeing a few non-idler bikes in the past couple of years without guides, even, which is interesting.

And check this out, funny af: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cd59238lMuM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Seems absurd to risk ending a race run for something that weighs a few grams and doesn't really hinder anything? What's the benefit of not running one?

Apparently product managers decide what racers run.