Nikon D40X (costco kit with 2 lenses, and some shwag) $979 + tax
Rebel xti (costco also, but only 1 lens, no shwag) $749 + tax

which one????

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the XTi body is far more capable than the D40...i'm not sure of the lenses that come w/ the Nikon, but the canon kit lens is pretty good if you are shooting w/ lots of light (ie, if you can stop down to ~f/5.6 or f/8). good walkaround focal length too (18-55).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
the XTi body is far more capable than the D40...i'm not sure of the lenses that come w/ the Nikon, but the canon kit lens is pretty good if you are shooting w/ lots of light (ie, if you can stop down to ~f/5.6 or f/8). good walkaround focal length too (18-55).
:stupid:

The cannon is a no brainer there!

if you were talking about the d50... that would be more along the line of the Rebel xti...

If you have no other lenses... spend the coin on the Rebel, then get yourself a nice short lens (prime) with a good apperature!

I have the D50, and like it a lot. But I also have some money into a nicer lens than the kit lens...! the D40 is a nice camera... but if you intend to have it for a while... get one that will progress with you and not leave you needing another camera! (in other words get the cannon plus another lens)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I've seen some reliability issues with the electronic hardware on Nikons that I've not seen on Canon.

I don't use Pro SLR's anymore [sob] but my ears still work fine. One complaint about some Nikons [D40's i think, but might be a D50 in the mix] was date reset to 2000-12-01 every time it was shut down. No firmware update online was available and they all had to be sent back to Nikon for a 'fix'.

5 week turnaround average.

no thanks.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I LOVE MY NIKON D40 the d40x is a little better only thing that they chaged that sucks is the d40 was fasted shutter speed with flast of 1/500 the d40x is only 1/250. the iso was dropped to 100 and the fps was increased to 3 in the d40x. nikon is also better imo. (start nikon vs canon war now)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Unless you buy an external flash the flashsync doesn't really matter, the flash just isn't powerfull enough to do any good. I would forget the swag that Costco gives you, probably a crappy bag, lens cleaning cloth and a duster, and just get the Canon and a used 55EX. With the 550 flash you get plenty of power at a reasonable price and high-speed sync mode that lets you shoot as fast as you want, there isn't as much light, but it has never let me down.

There's also a huge market in used low-cost Canon gear from people who buy off-brand or inexpensive lenses and upgrade later.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Try them both out.

IMHO, both cameras suck ball in terms of ergonomics. Neither of them feel good in my hand. The Nikon is marginally better to me with regards to feel, but you can't autofocus with non AF-S lenses.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IMHO, both cameras suck ball in terms of ergonomics. Neither of them feel good in my hand. The Nikon is marginally better to me with regards to feel, but you can't autofocus with non AF-S lenses.
:stupid:

I tried out a D40 and was happier with it, I really didn't like the Rebel. Cheap, awkward to hold and the controls weren't where I wanted them. Even after using it quite a bit, I still felt like I was fighting the camera to take a picture.

With the Nikon, you will need to consider what lenses you want and may want in the future. Nikon has made a commitment to AF-S, so I don't see them putting out another lens without it, but until they get around to updating the whole line, look through their lenses and the third party lenses and make sure the ones you want have AF-S (Nikon), HSM (Sigma), or whatever the equivalent is in the Tokina/Tamron world.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i have also used my Nikon 40 in 0* weather for a whole 10 hours shooting snowboarding events, had it rained and snowed on, used it in for a few hours shooting inside a "rain forest environment" at a zoo and some of the worst dust i have ever seen shooting biking. only twice i had problems with it. once the lcd got really messed up but once the camera sat overnight it was fine, and the other time the wet snow made my f/ button stop working but once the camera dried it was fine. the d40 is really rugged.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I would look for a used 20D if it were me, but if you don't want to go used, I agree with most here, go with the XTI.

For more information on Canon stuff, you can check out www.photography-on-the.net. I don't know what the best Nikon board is, but I'm sure you can find it and ask some questions there.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i found a Canon 20D with a 18-55 EF-S lens and some other freebies... for $999

is it a better option than the Xti ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i found a Canon 20D with a 18-55 EF-S lens and some other freebies... for $999

is it a better option than the Xti ?
well, it depends...the ergonomics are better on the 20D, due to quick dial on the back. that price for the 20D isn't so good...at this point, you could just about get a brand new 30D for close to $1K, and if you want the kit lens, there are plenty of people off-loading them (including me).

the XTi has more megapixels (not significant), automatic sensor cleaning (the manual method is pretty straightforward if you get dust on your sensor), and a less rugged body. you can get the body + kit lens for roughly $800.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, studies have shown that even the best automatic sensor cleaning is only about 50% effective. So.... sensor cleaning isn't a great reason to choose one camera over another.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
if you buy one of my 20D's they will turn you into a professional photographer(if you take good photos)....

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
well, i could buy one of your cameras, but you gotta work that price up.... 999 brand new 20D with lens in amazon.com

youre asking 800 for the body alone....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well to be fair to derek, i believe that also comes w/ a battery grip, which is close to $200. i love using the grip; makes portait orientation photos much easier.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
well, i could buy one of your cameras, but you gotta work that price up.... 999 brand new 20D with lens in amazon.com

youre asking 800 for the body alone....
What lens comes with? I'm sure it's probably a $40 cheapo :) You get the battery grip with mine which is an extra $200(roughly) If you are interested though, pm me and I'm sure we can arrange something:cheers:

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
so i bought an XTi...

now what?

whos unloading lenses...?

not into getting Pro, more like i just wanna play arround with it and get creative....

Tips? tricks? etc.?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did you get a body only, or does it come w/ a kit lens?

if you didn't get the kit lens (18-55 f/3.5-5.5), i've got one i am not using and could sell for cheap. if you are interested, PM me.

www.photography-on-the.net is a great canon-centric site, and has a wealth of info in its stickied FAQs. start digging in.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
well then you don't need mine. :D

a good cheap entry into the world of fast glass is the canon EF 50mm f/1.8; it's plastic, but very inexpensive and at $80 you will not find another lens w/ that wide an aperture.
I totally second the 50mm 1.8!

They call it the "nifty fifty" :D

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
if i wanted to have only 2 lenses to work with.... the 18-55 i got for free is out of the picture.....
seems to me that the short one should be the 50 f/1.8

which should i get for the distance shots? 75-300 ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the canon lens i just sold (70-200 f/4 non-IS) is an awesome lens for what you just described. it's kinda pricey at $550 or so, but well worth it...image quality is outstanding.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I second the 70-200 f4, although as Narlus said, it's pricey as hell. I just figure if you like taking pictrues, it is worth it to get somethign that will make you stoked on your shots, not end up wishing they were a bit sharper, had less CA or were a bit more saturated and contrasty.