Quantcast

Found a cute furry critter in our yard

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We house-sat for my wife's uncle in the last few summers. Those spiders are EVERWHERE around his house. (as well as wolf and red house spiders).

The cool thing is they would build a web in the middle of the night - SPANNING THE ENTIRE FRONT PORCH. Real nice surprise in the morning running out the door for work.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
We typically call those "writing spiders" you can often find words written in the web with the heavier weaving they use. Old wives tale was if you saw your name in a writing spiders web you would be dead before sundown. They are also super fun to run into on the trail at mach 1, on a sketchy downhill with a 6 foot drop at the bottom...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
SkaredShtles said:
I'll bet it's even better when a yellowjacket goes down your shirt on that DH. :D
uh i had that happen once at diablo. somehow made it past my chest protector and stung me right in the middle of the chest. i was just about to get air on this jump. weirdest thing

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cool spider. I have similar ones in my yard but they have long skinny abdomens. Same zig zag in the web.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Bushwhacker said:
We typically call those "writing spiders" you can often find words written in the web with the heavier weaving they use. Old wives tale was if you saw your name in a writing spiders web you would be dead before sundown. They are also super fun to run into on the trail at mach 1, on a sketchy downhill with a 6 foot drop at the bottom...
like Zuckerman's Famous Pig??? What...is that spider Charlotte or something? Charlotte...the only cool spider in the world...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
nice additions to this thread! The spider in my first pic was there for about a month, but she's gone now. I wonder where she went. I hope she comes back. :(

I ran over a frog with my lawnmower a couple weeks ago. I didn't mean to. I was mowing when suddenly I saw frog parts shoot out from under the mower. He was big fella, too.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
nice additions to this thread! The spider in my first pic was there for about a month, but she's gone now. I wonder where she went. I hope she comes back. :(

I ran over a frog with my lawnmower a couple weeks ago. I didn't mean to. I was mowing when suddenly I saw frog parts shoot out from under the mower. He was big fella, too.
Ewwwwww!!!

Loved watching my dog play with the frogs in our yard as a kid. They totally mesmerized him. Every time they jumped, he'd get startled, didn't matter how many times in a row it happened....lol! Then he'd look all sad when they finally jumped away for good!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Velocity Girl said:
Ewwwwww!!!

Loved watching my dog play with the frogs in our yard as a kid. They totally mesmerized him. Every time they jumped, he'd get startled, didn't matter how many times in a row it happened....lol! Then he'd look all sad when they finally jumped away for good!
my dog was amazed by frogs too... until he picked him up with his mouth and shook it a little... he spit him right back out and walked away

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I saw a spider like that in the desert of southern california last week, but it had a red designs on it...sorta looked like 2 triangles up against each other at the points...cool stuff.