Quantcast

Found a spot to chill.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Nuff said...

Back story is...I took over one over our local trail systems, not just for the trails, but the 100 year old farm they reside on. Got some chickens, have goats on the way, built some raised beds and scoped the whole 108 acres for food.
Some restoration projects will be under way on the barn, chicken coop and the original outdoor kitchen/smokehouse as well as the house.

As soon as I added the little moon to the crapper...I knew I had to post the pic here. :D

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Sounds amazing but we need more pictures.

The best I can do is a FB album at the moment. We have limited web access and limited electricity.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.450972254633.246649.561079633

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150207840939634.328548.561079633

A venue for a monkeyfest would be great. With 10 miles of trails on the farm side and around 20 on the river side, a bike shop, bunk house and 108 acres to spread out on..I'm sure a good time would be had by all.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Let's see if I can clear this up before my battery dies. This is one of our more infamous local trail systems, privately owned and fairly far away from everyone and everything. I've been riding, building and maintaining the trails out here since 2003 and have always considered this a "home" trail.
A few years ago, the owner kind of hinted that he might move on and that I should think about moving in and running the trails. He just rents from an absentee landlord that has never seen the place, as long as the rent is paid we are free to do what we want. I really didn't think much of it at the time and wasn't sure if I wanted the responsibility on top of a 9 to 5.
In summer of 09, the quarry I was working at started laying us off quite a bit and it steadily got worse. On a ride out here one day, Bryan(the owner) says he's moving and wants me to take over. I finally saw the opportunity to quit messing with a 9 to5 and got to 7 days a week, sunup to sundown...take over Tar, get my organic/sustainable/educational/off the grid stuff off the ground and put all this **** that's in my head to use.
This was supposed to happen, possibly, in February. It got pushed to May and then August. All no big deal, until our current landlord informed us that our lease was up in June....I told Bryan that we were moving in right now. He and his family have been very gracious and are really loving all the things I am doing to get this place back to its old self.
We have been here 8 days now, survived our first big thunderstorm last night. I have 4 raised beds built and planted, I have 2 HUGE hugelkulture beds being built. This week we are getting 6 more chickens and a rooster, next week a pair of milk goats.
Hope this answers some questions....time to go build my outdoor, solar shower/hot water system. Great for washing large quantities of smelly monkeys...cheers.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Here's a pretty good write-up, some pics and a video.

http://www.sirbikesalot.com/TarRiver20050523.php

A google map link to show where in the world we are.

36.163878,-78.540829 - Google Maps

You can call it hippy or whatever you want..my kids think I'm a hero for being anti-establishment and giving them an opportunity at a lifestyle many only sit in their cubicle dreaming about. The work is never ending, laborious and at times, painful, but the smile has been impossible to remove from our faces since day one.

Battery dying....thanks for the questions!!