Quantcast

Found a used DJ bike for $275 in my town.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
There's this guy who works at one of the bike stores in my town who is selling a used Trek Bruiser set up singlespeed with a Shimano Saint crank, E13 bash, long travel Marzocchi Dirt Jumper fork (can't tell if it's a 1,2 or 3 because the paint wore off), maxis tires, and dual Hayes MX2 disk brakes, for (I'm not kidding) 275.

Has anybody had any experience with the frame?
No matter what anybody says, unless another incredible deal comes up, I'm gettin' it this coming weekend. The frame breaking isn't an issue, I can just get a new one. This price is just too good to pass up.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey for 275, thats a steal. The parts alone are worth more than 275. but that trek frame leaves some to be desired. Buy it for the parts and take 600 bucks and hook up a sweet frame, then you've got a good bike for under 1,000

and hardrock frames are piles. no one who's into riding should buy one.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
frame should be decent enough for now.

but you can buy used hardtail frames for cheap. I think that there's a .243 in the classifieds on here for $225 right now. And then you can have a sweet rig.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I'm planning on picking up a used 04-05 P. Series frame. I love those frames. My friend has an 05 P.1, and I'm jealous of the frame (but definitely not of the grips, seat, crank or fork).

I sure hope grom-dom doesn't get it. I don't even have a bike i can beat up on right now!

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Come tuesday, this sucker is mine! One of the guys who works at a local bike shop says he rode his Trek bruiser (his first jump bike) with a bullet hole in it and it STILL took a long time to break.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
Eatmyfood! said:
Come tuesday, this sucker is mine! One of the guys who works at a local bike shop says he rode his Trek bruiser (his first jump bike) with a bullet hole in it and it STILL took a long time to break.
ahahahaha. marshall. yeah, that thing was a tank. dude pm me when you get the bike and mebe we can ride

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Woah, I think I know you (grom-dom). Yeah, I want the fork lowered really bad. It's set at 130 mm, and since it weighs roughly 8 pounds (or feels like 8 pounds) it's really hard to throw around or pull up. When I get it shortened, it should be much easier to do stuff with.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
Eatmyfood! said:
Woah, I think I know you (grom-dom). Yeah, I want the fork lowered really bad. It's set at 130 mm, and since it weighs roughly 8 pounds (or feels like 8 pounds) it's really hard to throw around or pull up. When I get it shortened, it should be much easier to do stuff with.
i rode a p2. now a steelhed with a pike 26/24

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
bcd said:
i loved my bruiser
but then you painted it bitch blue...

They are good frames, and really strong. The people that have them here are all hand-me-downs and have been through 3 people, and still going really strong. I inspected one two nights ago, and besides from the powdercoat being messed up, the frame was fine.

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Could the length of the fork be the difference in how easy the bike is to bunnyhop? I'm casing curbs off and on! This isn't good. I also thinking of change the rear cog from a 16t to and 18t. It's a bitch to pedal uphill as well as wheelie on this thing.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
Eatmyfood! said:
Could the length of the fork be the difference in how easy the bike is to bunnyhop? I'm casing curbs off and on! This isn't good. I also thinking of change the rear cog from a 16t to and 18t. It's a bitch to pedal uphill as well as wheelie on this thing.
ive got a 34/15 and i think the gearing on that thing is a 34/16 or 36/16. so yeahl, i think youll be fine. and go to the clean machine and order a lowering kit to 90 mm for the fork. anything else, ummm it might be the frame, my bro didnt exactly love his, but w/e. pm me if you got any ?'s on bike stuff dude. peace

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
I'm ordering some new grips (specialized enduros. I practically swear by those things). Not only do they feel kinda gooey and weird to me, the gave me blisters THROUGH gloves. I definitely am going to change the cog. It's really hard to pedal uphill in. I don't mean a little bit, I mean like 28:10 BMX hard. Though, I might not do something quite as much as an 18t. I think I'll get a 17t. When this bike gets on reasonably flat ground, it's beastly fast. I don't want to lose that. I can go faster than this guy with gears where my bike's gear is set.

Right now the frankenfork is the by far the least of the 3 modifications i want to do. As long as the long fork isn't what caused me to fall on some jumps today, I'm okay with it. I highly doubt that was the case. I sort of landed with my wheel tilted to the left in some grass, lost traction, and crashed on my chest. It kinda hurts right now, but nothing big.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Eatmyfood! said:
I'm ordering some new grips (specialized enduros. I practically swear by those things). Not only do they feel kinda gooey and weird to me, the gave me blisters THROUGH gloves. I definitely am going to change the cog. It's really hard to pedal uphill in. I don't mean a little bit, I mean like 28:10 BMX hard. Though, I might not do something quite as much as an 18t. I think I'll get a 17t. When this bike gets on reasonably flat ground, it's beastly fast. I don't want to lose that. I can go faster than this guy with gears where my bike's gear is set.

Right now the frankenfork is the by far the least of the 3 modifications i want to do. As long as the long fork isn't what caused me to fall on some jumps today, I'm okay with it. I highly doubt that was the case. I sort of landed with my wheel tilted to the left in some grass, lost traction, and crashed on my chest. It kinda hurts right now, but nothing big.
just think... in a couple months that will be an easy gear. youll get stronger and have tree trunks for legs.

i rock a 30 10 on my bmx and a 36 16 on my hardtail. it is really all relative to leg strength

Eatmyfood!

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
Yeah, this is Zach.

I found out today when I got back from my vacation that after one day of riding, my gear setup is suddenly so much easier to pedal. Unfortunately, I threw my back out on the vacation doing backflips over the waves at the beach (somehow), so I can't ride again quite yet.

When I say frankenfork I'm more or less referring to length. 03 DJ2's are heavier than anything I've tried, but of course I've only tried 05 MX comps, 06 Stance statics, and 06 Dirt Jam Pros other than 03 DJ2's. So far I'm liking the DJ2 the most.