Quantcast

Found a vintage road bike.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well I stumbled upon an old road bike that was in really good shape so I snagged it for $100. Its an old 1982 (EDIT Scratch that, they said it was 82... I really cant tell) lugged Nishiki 12 speed (6 spd cassette + double chainring) with mostly shimano parts. Looks like someone cared enough to slap some ultegra brakes on it.

I'm going to see what I can do with it.

It needs new tires and some bar tape for starters. I'd like to modernize it a bit... maybe get some newer wheels on it, a nice derailer & cassette, bars, etc. Exentually I want to paint it.

I'll post pictures as I go :)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I did something like that...picked up a mid 80's Miyata 310 while I was still off the bike because of a broken ankle. Once the Doc approved me riding a bike again I rode it like it came then converted it to SS. I have now converted it to 7spd 105 with Sora brifters. It's a fun bike.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Leave it as it is. If you start trying to update everything, it gets really expensive really fast. The rear end will be 126mm which means you will have to have it spread to accept a newer 130mm hub so you can run a 10sp cassette so you can run STi, etc, etc.

Upgrade the parts using NOS 6sp stuff off of ebay. It will be more fun that way anyways.
Throw some old dura-ace bar end shifters on there and you're set.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Leave it as it is. If you start trying to update everything, it gets really expensive really fast. The rear end will be 126mm which means you will have to have it spread to accept a newer 130mm hub so you can run a 10sp cassette so you can run STi, etc, etc.

Upgrade the parts using NOS 6sp stuff off of ebay. It will be more fun that way anyways.
7spd stuff is still 126mm spacing. 7spd stuff (and 8spd for that matter) is fairly cheap on ebay. I picked up my full 105 7spd kit with Sora STI levers for $150 shipped off ebay.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
7spd stuff is still 126mm spacing.
You sure about that? If it is, it overlapped with 130mm. Or maybe I'm confused because my 7sp mountain bike had 135mm

Anyways. That was my point. If you try and upgrade it to the latest and greatest, it will be expensive and a pain.
I just put 8sp Ultegra on my new road bike. STi for $60. Derailluer for $5. The list goes on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did you just use "vintage" and 1982 in the same post? Wow, either I'm that old, or the whole idea of vintage is out of control.

My brother has vintage bikes from the 20's and 30's.

Steel lugged road frames rule...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i hate 27" tires. everyone i have worked on has been an absolute bitch.

i will never forget a certain pair. customer brings in his wheels and watch the tires replaced. the look to be in amazing condition. chrome wheels are spotless. then i try to take off the tires. solid as a rock. i fit my lever under the bead, and the rubber peels off. ended up having to cut them off with angle cutters. in the end, it took 30mins to replace 2 tubes and tires. then he got mad when i wouldn't air them up to 90psi (you know...rims weren't really clinchers...)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Yes. Up to 7spd rear spacing was 126mm on a roadie. When 8spd came out the spacing on road bikes bumped up to 130mm.

My Miyata had 27" wheels. Running 700c now though.
Turns out this baby was a Shogun bike, not nishiki. Sitting in my garage now. Anyway... it does have 27" wheels. I snagged some Conti tires for it put some new hb tape on it and rode it last night. Been a while since I was on a road bike... man can they fly.

Anyway... How did you get the 700c to work on your bike. When I went to the shop to get the tires I asked him if he had any cheap upgrade wheels for me and he said, no way. No one makes high end 27"ers now a days... so I asked him what about 700c. He told me that they will fit on the frame but the brakes wont grab them right.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Anyway... How did you get the 700c to work on your bike. When I went to the shop to get the tires I asked him if he had any cheap upgrade wheels for me and he said, no way. No one makes high end 27"ers now a days... so I asked him what about 700c. He told me that they will fit on the frame but the brakes wont grab them right.
I got lucky I guess. When I updated it to 700c SS wheels the factory brakes had plenty of reach so I just used them without any problems. The newer 105 brakes just barley reach in the front however. The rear is just fine. I probably should get a set of long reach calipers at some point. My frame uses recessed mounting bolts for the brakes so I can use more modern brakes. If your frame uses recessed mounting bolts I bet a 700c wheel and long reach calipers would work just fine.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Road bike build is trucking along nicely... collecting parts. Just won an auction for a Bianchi quill Stem from the early 90s and some Ultegra brake levers (non dual action type).

My buddy just rebuilt his road bike with all carbon stuff and he is basically giving me all his old parts. So that means nice ergo Handlebars Bars, Shimano 105 crankset (need a longer spindle for my BB witch will be
a bit of trouble)... and he is even giving me his old wheels... which is where it will get interesting. The bike is going to have to be spread to fit the wheels. That is going to suck... I'll have to get the hanger and the dropouts realigned.

Searching for a couple of things still on ebay. I need a 26.6 seatpost which is an uncommon size apparently. The old post is a boat anchor and was aluminum so it had bonded itself to the frame. I forced it out sanded the corosion off, greased it and put it back in. I also need some 8 speed (non dual action) shifters. I dont want to shell out a ton of money so I am just going for the old style downtube shifters.

After I have collected all the parts I am going to strip the paint and refinish it matte black. All it will need is a cool headbadge. All the chrome areas will remain chrome. Overall I should have built a pretty nice bike that fits me perfectly for just under $250.

Again... pictures will be taken when the parts start to arrive and the build begin.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California

Maybe a stupid question, but I have an old schwinn tempo road bike w/ 126mm rear spacing, 6-speed (I believe it's a 1987). I would love to ugrade the wheelset. Is it exspensive to have the rear spread out to fit modern road bike wheel spacing? Are road bikes 130mm or 135mm now? Or maybe I should just re-build the old hubs with new rims /spokes??? Any comments on the old school wheel dilemma appreciated. I've found several wheelsets on ebay w/ 126mm rear spacing, but they looked to be in worse shape than mine.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Maybe a stupid question, but I have an old schwinn tempo road bike w/ 126mm rear spacing, 6-speed (I believe it's a 1987). I would love to ugrade the wheelset. Is it exspensive to have the rear spread out to fit modern road bike wheel spacing? Are road bikes 130mm or 135mm now? Or maybe I should just re-build the old hubs with new rims /spokes??? Any comments on the old school wheel dilemma appreciated. I've found several wheelsets on ebay w/ 126mm rear spacing, but they looked to be in worse shape than mine.
WELL FROM WHAT I KNOW... (caps lock sorry)... the ones I just put on are 130mm. And no its not expensive. I just wedged the bastard in there. From what I am told the rear end width adjust on its own. However, I am going to take it in after a week or so and have the dropouts aligned (not sure what that will cost).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Score... $35 unused Flite Ti Saddle... 180 Grams of ass prop.
Newest challenges with the build are... BB that fits yet has a long enough spindle to keep chainline correct with the extra hub spacing AND 26.6 seatpost, cant find a good one anywhere but thomson, and I'm trying to do this on a budget... if I let myself go that route I would have paid for the seatpost nearly the same as I spent on the whole bike.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
tires I asked him if he had any cheap upgrade wheels for me and he said, no way. No one makes high end 27"ers :happydance: .. so I asked him what about 700c. He told me that they will fit on the frame but the brakes wont grab them right.
Not worthwhile to go 700c.

I'd try and find 27" wheel set in aluminum. Lighter wheels and better braking. You could also just lace some new rims to your current hubs.

There is one way to go 700c without the brake problem....go fixie. Lose tons of weight and make the bike more fun.

The Ito