Quantcast

Found some jumps in Serra Mesa

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Located off of Kobe Dr. I found some jumps that looked like they needed a little TLC. I'm not really a huge DJ'er but I did notice a little wall ride feature that looked like something I'd like to try. Anybody else ever ridden this spot who wants to teach me how to do wall rides?

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
any other trails in that area beside the jumps... im getting bored of noble and sweetwater....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
some...

The trails I rode were pretty boring compared to Noble, I've never ridden sweetwater so I can't comment there. I'd only ride these trails on an afternoon where I was strapped for time and really wanted to get a ride in. Just about anywhere in the county is going to be better than this place.

Attachments

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Sure, where's it at? Is that the area south of the 94 east of the 15 somewhere? Honestly I'm not really into pedalling up hills, I've ridden to the top of Noble under my own power once and decided that it wasn't for me, I've done a few shuttles and some out and backs as far as I can handle climbing on Noble, my favorite part of the trail is the last couple of miles or so from the stairway to the lower trailhead anyway. I like the fast singletrack up top but if it's not worth the effort to get there unless I've got a shuttle. What's sweetwater like?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
There's also Martha's Grove in Clark Canyon back up between Scrippts Poway Parkway and Santee Lakes. It's a short little loop you can do a few times if you want, but the climb back up the fireroad can be a little rough if you're not into that sort of thing..

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i ride a 38 pound 8 inch travel bike.... i, under any circumstances like to pedal "UP".....

theres "other" options in SW....

im hitting Noble this sunday.... anybody in for a shuttle?

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
SW is quite Flat, lost of curling singletrack..... is a fast track...

no DH tough... but, there is this "option"...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bdamschen said:
There's also Martha's Grove in Clark Canyon back up between Scrippts Poway Parkway and Santee Lakes. It's a short little loop you can do a few times if you want, but the climb back up the fireroad can be a little rough if you're not into that sort of thing..
Last I checked Martha's grove is off limits to bikes, I've ridden it and it's a fun loop but I wouldn't suggest others ride it on a public forum. The Sycamore Canyon area adjacent to Martha's grove is pretty vast, you can easily get in a dozen or more miles of rolling hills if that's your thing.

Schwin01, I don't ride sundays but I'll keep you on my list of guys who like to ride. Have you ever ridden with the SDMBA group, Mark, Steve, Tom and that crowd. They are at Noble every weekend rain or shine, Steve (posts here as Aquaholic from time to time,) is a freakin ripper for an old guy on a beat up Huffy:p. Mark (posts as BullitX) is a nice guy too and won't leave you as far behind on the uphills but will still give you a good workout to keep up on the downhill. PM me and I can get you their email addresses.

Lately I've been commuting to and from work on my beater bike so ridding after work hasn't sounded very exciting, that and the fact that I'm still trying to get my pedalling legs back after taking a long break while my wife was on bed rest. I too have a upper 30 pound long travel bike and I really prefer to pedal up whatever I ride down, so long as "pedalling up" isn't 7 miles of torture, that's where shuttles are preferred.

I rode Oakzanita Peak in the Cuyamaca State park a few months ago and thought it was a fun ride, the climb is somewhere in the range of 5 miles but it's not nearly as steep as Noble, most of the climb is on fireroad with the last mile or so on a poorly maintained singletrack. The views from the peak are great and it's suprisingly quiet. The day I rode up was one of the beautiful saturdays we had in late September, from around 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM I didn't see a single person. The ride down from the peak has about a quarter mile of techy rocky singletrack much like Noble without the trees followed by a flowy smooth but incredibly overgrown singletrack back to the fireroad that is a wide open downhill for at least 3 miles with just a couple of short uphills thrown in. Not too techy but it's fast. You don't need a long travel bike by any means, in fact I'm thinking next time I ride Oakzanita I might do it on my commuter.

Of course you probabally know about Anderson, but if you don't regularly ride there you most likely don't really appreciate it. It's still a don't ask don't tell trail so PM if you need more details.

The California Hiking and Ridding trail is a waste of time for ridding but it does exist, you can catch it from the parking lot at Loveland Reservoir near Alpine.

Those are the trails I've ridden, some I reccomend more strongly than others, I haven't really ridden much at all in the last year or so, trail conditions and access may have changed a lot.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bicycleman said:
what are the shuttles like at noble?
Do you think it is worth to take the shuttle if i'm going to be riding with my lazy ass dad?
Thanks,
Noble is a challenging ride even as a shuttle. It takes a lot of endurance to ride down the long boulder strewn trail, once you've had about all the fun you can take there's a couple miles of rolling stuff followed by a good mile long grinder then more chunky trail to the lower trailhead. I wouldn't reccomend the trail to a novice even as a shuttle.