Quantcast

Four Ways to Open a Beer with Your Bike

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

On this special Bike Week (the Bike staffers and some of our industry friends take a week to ride and kick back at a Western Spirit-guided location) edition of Mechanic Mondays, Squirrel shows you four ways to open a beer with your bike.
---

Awesome. Have any others?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ever notice that indentation on the top of the elixir pad spacers? (to the right of the words "PAD SPACER")

It's a bottle opener!!

I love you SRAM

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
#1 works better with the bike lying on the ground, and the edge of the cap on the flat face of the grip clamp.

#3 is damn near impossible with Crank Brothers pedals, but works pretty well with Times or SPDs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
just get canned beer, cheaper, you don't have to f-up bike parts/waste beer, and get more recycle $$payback than bottles.
Plus you can put it in your Camelback bladder surrounded by ice water without the edges of the cap tearing the bladder up.

Though there are not nearly as many options for good beer in a can. And if you don't suck at it there's no reason you'll waste any with the lock on grip trick. I've gotten good at that one.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

Though I far prefer the use of my SPD pedals, as far less beer is lost.

And canned stuff in the iced Camelbak is tits.

HAB: look for some canned stuff from Oskar Blues Brewing. Well, once you get back stateside that is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
HAB: look for some canned stuff from Oskar Blues Brewing. Well, once you get back stateside that is.
I've had Ten Fiddy, Dale's, and Gubna. All awesome. I didn't say there weren't options, just not as many. :D

Maui Coconut Porter's another good canned one.

Edit: I know it's way too far out for you to really have any idea but I'm going to be back in NY briefly and doing a trip out your way some time late in August. I'll let you know when I'm actually going to be around, but if you'd be into meeting up for a ride that would be awesome. Plus we could have a big Spitfire convention- Barry, the guy I was with when we met a couple years ago is now on one too, and will likely be joining me again.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Cool. Just let me know when, I'll try to be free.

Still need to get you over to Millers Pond.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool. Just let me know when, I'll try to be free.

Still need to get you over to Millers Pond.
Will do. I'll be on that side of the country for about 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I'll be able to do Platty one weekend and Blue/ Millers/ something else for a long weekend on the other. I'll keep you posted in any case.