Quantcast

fourth job interview?????

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
wtf people??
am currently employed, but very interested in a position in another company (not direct competition).

1st interview. with headhunter. solved many psych tests, did pretty good. was sent to talk to the division manager.

2nd interview. with division manager 3 days later. went great. he seemed very interested, he showed me my place in the company chart, the people i´d be in charge of and even talked money and tentative starting date. he sent me to the CEO

3rd interview. with CEO. 4 days later. guy asked me a lot of very personal questions (what my parents/sisters/wife did for a living, at which companies, and what titles they had). interview didnt go as well. guy tells me, he cannot give me an answer. it would take 1-2 weeks to have one.

4th interview. with head of HR. 6 days later. went very well, he wanted to know me as a person, since the "technical" part was covered by the division manager. he said the division manager pressed him on this matter, and asked him about me. he seems very interested too and we talked starting date. he said he was certain my employer would not let me go, and asked whether i was serious about the position, and indirectly asked if would not leverage my current employer into raising my salary. i said i would not, and his company fits my future expectations. guy said i would get an answer "soon".

then, 2 days later, yesterday, the headhunter calls again and asks how did the interview go. she said she heard pretty good things, and that she would call me back as soon as she had news, whether good or bad.

geez..... wanna flip a coin and see how this ends up?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I think I had 7 interviews for my current position. And I think I answered maybe 2 technical questions the entire time - all just schmoozing the higher-ups.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So you've had to actually go to the employer three times? That's not excessive. Two should be enough, but three isn't bad. At least you've made it that far along in the process. I had to visit this employer three times before getting offered this job:

Visit 1: Two interviews) Recruitment office and the hiring manager.
Visit 2: Three interviews) Director of Finance, Director of IS, HR Manager/HR Analyst
Visit 3: One interview) Lunch with director and VP

Plus the meetings with the external recruiter before and after the three meetings above. Sometimes the employer just really wants to be sure they got the person they want.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So you've had to actually go to the employer three times? That's not excessive. Two should be enough, but three isn't bad. At least you've made it that far along in the process. I had to visit this employer three times before getting offered this job:

Visit 1: Two interviews) Recruitment office and the hiring manager.
Visit 2: Three interviews) Director of Finance, Director of IS, HR Manager/HR Analyst
Visit 3: One interview) Lunch with director and VP

Plus the meetings with the external recruiter before and after the three meetings above. Sometimes the employer just really wants to be sure they got the person they want.
And after you they added a fourth round to prevent further issues, right? :rofl:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well. today, the saga ends.

i called the headhunter for an update, since tomorrow will be 2 weeks after my interview with the CEO.

She said they division manager and HR manager were very pleased with me, but it was the CEO who made the decision to not hire me. she said, this is because i lack experience in a very specific area they were looking for. The position was Head of Technical Issues for the country, and the responsabilities are warranties/training/service bulletins/recalls and implementation of authorized shops over the country.

i lack experience in the last part, since my company is just starting a nation-wide authorized shop network.
They want somebody with 2-4 years of experience developing dealers around the country.

well... good luck to them with that. very few companies (less than 10) have the marketshare and finantial muscle to open dealers around the country, and from those, very few key, an expensive, people have the knowhow.

thats usually reserved for country-level service managers, who make at least twice of what they are paying for this position... they have been looking to fill the position since may.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
4 interviews is strange to me. But your story makes me not feel so let down. I had 3 interviews once; the last of which was 4 hours long where they even showed me where my office will be. They were already talking design ideas with me.

Got the call 2 weeks later, no deal. The HR lady didn't even have a reason to give me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow four interviews is insane, my last interview was with a guy that was sporting a sweet mullet and a fancy sweatshirt.

I said I wouldn't be much use to him and he offered me a job.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hate this.

Makes me think it is all who you know, not what you know and what you can do.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They wasted 4 paid days at your present job over something that could have been determined during a phone screening?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Sorry to hear this.

Thought it was funny when you put up this thread because I'm going through the same thing as far as waiting to hear. I've been with my current company almost 15 years and was contacted by a recruiter a few times during the last few years but always turned it down. I was comfortable with where I am in my current position. But no place for growth in the near or even farther future. So this time I decided to follow through with the recruiters potential employment possibility and had an interview set up 3 weeks ago. He calls me yesterday saying the company is still considering me but they have been busy lately. Not sure what that means but I'm here just chillin on idle.

Don't want to get into anymore details, this is your thread. But reading all this has me believe my experience is sort of common practice.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
They wasted 4 paid days at your present job over something that could have been determined during a phone screening?
yup. exactly.

interview 1: had to leave early, and had a 2 hour inteview + round of tests with headhunter.
interview 2: had to take the day off, for a 1pm interview 30 miles away. (prospective job site) with Division manager.
interview 3: had to take half day off for a 10am interview with CEO.
interview 4: had to call in late 3 hours for a 9am interview with HR.

plus 3 or 4 small phone interviews over 3 weeks.

according to the Division Manager, i know they have been looking to fill the position for over 3 months and he needs to fill it asap... he also told me I was the 3rd person to make it as far as interviewing with the CEO. (1st was a flake, did not show up... 2nd already worked with the CEO in another company, and I was 3rd).

seriously... i do now know how are they going to fill the position, considering they are looking for a very very specific experience, and this industry in Peru is fairly new and small, with no more than 10 big players.
to get somebody with that experiencience, they w have to snatch someone senior to me (like a country manager), from another company... and that its not going to happen at that salary and title. or they would have to hire somebody from abroad... but that aint going to happen for $50k a year 48/hour workweek.

yeah, sour grapes and all that... lol

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sorry to hear this.

Thought it was funny when you put up this thread because I'm going through the same thing as far as waiting to hear. I've been with my current company almost 15 years and was contacted by a recruiter a few times during the last few years but always turned it down. I was comfortable with where I am in my current position. But no place for growth in the near or even farther future. So this time I decided to follow through with the recruiters potential employment possibility and had an interview set up 3 weeks ago. He calls me yesterday saying the company is still considering me but they have been busy lately. Not sure what that means but I'm here just chillin on idle.

Don't want to get into anymore details, this is your thread. But reading all this has me believe my experience is sort of common practice.
I´ve talked with a few friends who work in HR.

they told me, its kinda common for companies to stall good, but not perfect candidates for a while.... while they wait for the perfect ones to reply, or appear.
when a perfect fit shows on the market, no matter how busy the companies are, they are snatched rather quickly.

eventually, if they cannot find or afford a perfect one, they will settle for a good one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I´ve talked with a few friends who work in HR.

they told me, its kinda common for companies to stall good, but not perfect candidates for a while.... while they wait for the perfect ones to reply, or appear.
when a perfect fit shows on the market, no matter how busy the companies are, they are snatched rather quickly.

eventually, if they cannot find or afford a perfect one, they will settle for a good one.
That can't happen in my industry in the Portland area. I interviewed over the phone with 5 companies, went to see 3 of them, turned down the 2 offers I didn't take all in 2 weeks. If you are hot, you are damn hot right now. There are so many shops looking for solid senior level engineers that they will drop an offer quick because they KNOW you have others either on the table, or on the way.

It was like this back in '99. My salary has gone up 35% in 2 years, but I know I am near the level off point unless I finish my masters and go into management.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Makes sense. And good insight. I thought there could be a strategy to it. And it matches my situation perfectly being the interviewer seemed to like me a great deal. But also stated that me lacking experience in a specific design department had him hesitant. In saying that he verbally addressed he wanted to see me for a second interview a few times during our meeting. But I know and feel he could be pondering or waiting for a other possibilities.

life rolls on... we shred another day! Good luck to ya man.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I just bring people in for a full day. Knock out 6-8 interviews at one time. The only hassle worse than having to sneak out of work is having to do it multiple times.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No joke. One company said they wanted to do 3 interviews with me on separate days, and that at the 3rd interview there would still likely be a bunch of candidates to choose from. I declined.

At my last job they tricked everyone into attending a group interview for the first interview. Meaning, didn't tell anyone about it until we were all sitting there in the lobby realizing 6 of us were interviewing for the same job. If I had other options at the time, I would have walked right out. 4 hours of the day spent at the facility for 10 minutes of face time with the interviewer.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I had four interviews to work behind the counter at Starbucks. My last two haven't had interviews at all. It's much better since I don't interview well, but perform well.