Quantcast

Fox '06 TALAS system Updated! (Including 36)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Fox has bumped the TALAS 36 up to 160mm travel, made it black and updated the TALAS system to have only three settings. 100, 130 and 160mm. You just flick a switch and select which one. No more 3mm incriments. The same goes for the TALAS 32mm fork. It is now available with a trail tune terra logic and 3-position TALAS of 90, 100 or 130mm. There are a few other minor changes across the board but that's the best changes IMO.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hmm, interesting. People I know have had problems with TALAS forks (32 and 36) gradually not getting full travel, something about the oil packing up in the TALAS system but I'm not sure...any info on this and whether the newer forks are a fix? Also, anyone got info on the new trail tune terra logic stuff? I am looking at a 32mm talas for my xc.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Where'd this info come from?
Just got back from the Yeti dealer meeting and there was a fox guy there tellin us about the 06 stuff and no info on this.
It's great if it's true.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This info is straight outta Fox's '06 print catalog that we just recieved at the shop a few days ago. The new TALAS knobs are more like a RTA Manitou knob in their shape also FWIW.

"Trail Tune" is a milder platform than the race tune terra logic.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
OGRipper said:
Hmm, interesting. People I know have had problems with TALAS forks (32 and 36) gradually not getting full travel, something about the oil packing up in the TALAS system but I'm not sure...any info on this and whether the newer forks are a fix? Also, anyone got info on the new trail tune terra logic stuff? I am looking at a 32mm talas for my xc.
I just got a Talas R for my hardtail and am having trouble adjusting the travel back up from the 90mm minimum. I have only ridden the fork once, and hear that as it breaks in this will go away. The knob on top doesn't turn but maybe one or two detents and feels crummy.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Colin said:
I just got a Talas R for my hardtail and am having trouble adjusting the travel back up from the 90mm minimum. I have only ridden the fork once, and hear that as it breaks in this will go away. The knob on top doesn't turn but maybe one or two detents and feels crummy.
Its scared you might ride it! :p

What are you doing for the game Saturday?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
My buddy is a shop manager and just got an '06 Talas RLC 32 and it has the 3mm click knob. I'm confident it's the '06 b/c when he tried to EP it they said they were out of stock of the '05's.

Are the decals the same in the new catalog as the '05?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have sold early '06 Fox forks already and the only difference from '05 is that the decals say 36 TALAS RC2 as opposed to the '05 which said only 36 RC2. :)

I would scan the pics but we don't have a scanner here at the shop.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Its scared you might ride it! :p

What are you doing for the game Saturday?
Ha ha ha, you're so funny...

I don't know. Rach mentioned going to Bru's again, but I'd like to save some cash. But, if she wants to drive, then who am I to complain. You?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
FWIW I saw the '06 TALAS 36 in person at the show and it's still poo brown. The image in the dealer catalog is just dark and it looks black.

Fox will only offer the 3-position TALAS in the aftermarket for '06 beginning around the first of the year and the it will be OEM for '07.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
punkassean said:
Fox has bumped the TALAS 36 up to 160mm travel, made it black and updated the TALAS system to have only three settings. 100, 130 and 160mm. You just flick a switch and select which one. No more 3mm incriments. The same goes for the TALAS 32mm fork. It is now available with a trail tune terra logic and 3-position TALAS of 90, 100 or 130mm. There are a few other minor changes across the board but that's the best changes IMO.
cool, thanks for the info. recently i weighed an uncut van36 coil fork which as we know doesn't have travel adjust...just 2450 g, which is only about 110 g heaver than the air-sprung TALAS fox 36R 2005 model.

anyway i hope the 2006 air talas forks a) solve the travel reduction creep issue so many have complained about b) lighten things up a bit compared to the 3mm increment talas (i doubt it, but you can always hope).

the intense 6.6 plus the fox 36 talas 160 mm sounds like a good trailbike/light FR bike for 2006.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i have an 06 36 talason my bike and none of that stuff is on it is still has the 3mm stuff and yes it works great. and to one of you ?'s yes i think it isn't quit 6 but it is very close and the talas air is worth that 3mm loss. but if it is major problem send it in and they will fix it up for you

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Adam Novatt said:
the talas still has 150mm to not 160 but it would have bee nice if it did
Adam, read the WHOLE thread. The TALAS fork WILL indeed have 160mm as of January on '06 aftermarket models, all OEM '06 models will have 150mm's.