Quantcast

Fox 36 180mm Float

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
Since I only ride bike parks I figure that I don't really need my dual crown so I'm looking in to the new Kashima coated Fox 36 180mm. Has anyone tried the Float version? opinions? Much stiction? Flex?

I've only seen opinions on the van so far.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
Read that, I'm just wondering if it would be a mistake to go the airsprung route to save some weight. I have no experience with air springs at all. My previous forks has been Junior T, 888rcv and now the Bos Idylle. All of them open bath coil.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've had a 2010 36 160 float for about a year and I haven't had to adjust the air pressure once. The fork feels great.

It's on my trail bike that gets ridden like a mini dh bike, so I do beat on it fairly hard. Maybe I'm a hack, but I can't tell the difference between my current fork and a coil fork as far as performance goes.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a TALAS 160 and have ridden a Float. The Float feels pretty incredible, and I'd definitely buy another Fox air-sprung fork.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
No issues with longevity? I ride quite a lot, usually like a month or so in Whistler and every weekend at my local mountains the rest of the season so I don't really want a fork that will just die on me despite regular maintenance.

I know that a lot of people say that coil is the best but it seems that air tech has come a long way.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If you've got concerns, then why even bother? If you're riding in a park anyways, just get the coil. You aren't saving enough weight to make a massive impact, so go with what feels best and give syou peace of mind.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
It's not really concerns, it's more that I don't know anything about Float forks so I just want to know if anyone has any input on them before I spend the money.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I don't get it through, why do you HAVE to get the Float? It sounds like its your only option, or you're stuck or something. I don't get it. :)

Are we in communist Russia or something?

IN SOVIET RUSSIA FORK CHOOSE YOU.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I've been on a 180 Float for about 6 months and have about 10 solid days on it between Windrock, Snowshoe and other NC locations. The fork has worked perfect in all conditions. My previous fork was a 05 66RC and it was the plushish fork I've have ever ridden. I can't say the Float compares to it when standing behind the bike and pushing down on it but I haven't notice any difference when riding. I have yet to bottom it out and I'm still fine tuning it but it feels great, I love it. I haven't ridden the Vanilla but I'm sure it feels great also. The Float is only 3/4 lbs less than the Vanilla so thats really not much. I was just really impressed with a 2010 Float that came on another bike I bought (never ridden Fox stuff before), when the 180 came out I went that direction on my long travel build. So far so good and the maintenance on the 2010 was simple. Hope that helps.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
No, of course I don't have to get the Float. But I am interested in it, is that a problem?
No, it just seems like you're fixated on it and you're hoping that it works as well as the vanilla, but for some reason refuse to go the vanilla route even though its got none of the problems that the float might *potentially* have that you're worried out. Just seems odd.

Also, just trying to clear things up. No need to get pissy. ;)

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I run the 2010 36 Float RC2 and its stellar, a great performer for sure, feels as good as any coil fork I've owned over the years

I prefer air forks / shocks because I can get the spring rate and setup 100% correct with shock pump for my body weight and riding style rather than falling between available coil spring rates as I experienced with my RS Totem Coil (I then owned a Totem Solo Air which was better to setup)

we've been selling loads of 180mm 2011 Fox 36 Floats to customers, they seem very happy...

all Fox forks benefit from regular "lowers" servicing with 7wt suspension fluid and Fox Float (75 wt) fluid, takes 10 minutes with practise and basic toolset

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
When I was selling my Talas 36 150, I realized how amazing it was that I've had to pump the thing like five times over about 3 seasons. Not once was it due to losing pressure, always tuning. Pretty awesome if you ask me- I'm sure the new fox stuff is even better.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had two 36 TALAS' in the past 5 years. and they are perfect. only time I have to add air is for fine tuning.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between the Vanilla and the Float is the spring. The damping, stanchions, castings, arch, steer, axle, bushings etc... are all the same. If all those things are equal, and you want to save a bit of weight, but are concerned that the air spring isn't durable, I would say that you needn't be worried, the air springs are plenty durable.

Just remember to do the regular maintenance on them (as is the subject of tech tuesday over on PB today...: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-fox-36-service-2010.html)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
No, it just seems like you're fixated on it and you're hoping that it works as well as the vanilla, but for some reason refuse to go the vanilla route even though its got none of the problems that the float might *potentially* have that you're worried out. Just seems odd.

Also, just trying to clear things up. No need to get pissy. ;)
I think he's just as fixated on getting the float version as you are of him getting the van...

Float works well, why not shave off 3/4 of a lb?

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference between the Vanilla and the Float is the spring. The damping, stanchions, castings, arch, steer, axle, bushings etc... are all the same.
The Float and Van 180 have slightly different dampers - the Van has a hydraulic bottom out system like the 40s, although I'm not sure if it adjustable in the same way as the 40s. I'm guessing Fox figured that it wasn't necessary in the Float as you can achieve a similar effect by adding moar oil to the air spring chamber.

Also, the Float is white and the Van is black:p

I have a 180 RC2 Float. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but it certainly feels smooth with a good damping range. I do feel that the spring rate feels a bit non-linear in that it blows through its mid stroke a bit, but maybe it's just me. Can mostly be tuned out with the damper though.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I have a Kashima 180 TALAS, and it's great. Stiff, light, supple, plenty of adjustments... I really can't complay. Well, I wish that "low travel" was a bit less travel, but that doesn't concern you and your FLOAT ways.... You really will be happy.
I also have a Kashima 40 for comparison - the 40 does feel better, and it's not just the extra inch of travel. It is more supple throughout travel. I just feel like it it better at sticking to the ground. The 36 is more poppy and fun - don't get me wrong, it's not a DJ fork or anything; it's super plush. But as those of you know who have ridden the Kashima 40, it's probably the plushest fork in existence, so that's a pretty high bar. With my riding I need the TALAS, but if I were you and I didn't, I'd seriously consider the Van as that coil plushness is pretty freaking awesome. 3/4 lbs is actually a lot of weight if you ask me, but it's not rotational weight, so I guess it all comes down to how bumpy your trails are, and how important it is that the bumps don't throw you off course. I'm sure that the FLOAT would work great for Whistler, but if I was riding Whistler for a month, that alone would motivate me to get the Van.
One thing I can say is that from what I've experienced and heard from others, you won't have a problem with longevity, but hey, it's a pretty young fork, so who knows?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I ride DH type trails on Floats and Talas forks all the time and never have problems with the air springs. The difference in stiction is not noticeable after a run or two and you can get the spring rate perfect with the air pressure. I'd get the Float and not worry about it.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys, stop staying that 180 Float is that good, cause I might change my mind and buy new fork instead of AVA cart for my Totem Solo Air ;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Not that I would get the TALAS for this bike but is there a difference in performance between Float and Talas?
They are all capable of attacking a DH trail if you are. I noticed a tiny bit more stiction in the Talas than the Float and the Float more than the Van. If you crank up the LSC, the difference is not very noticeable. I love all 3 and think they are very capable forks. If I had to pick one I would probably go with the Float but I like the Talas a lot. They have come along way with regards to reliability and stiction.

I have never had a problem with a Fox air spring in a fork except when I over inflated a Talas for some steep lipped jumps.

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
I think I've made up my mind. The Idylle is going on the market and an order for a Float will be made. Looking forward to trying it out on buckoW's trails this summer.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Guys, stop staying that 180 Float is that good, cause I might change my mind and buy new fork instead of AVA cart for my Totem Solo Air ;)
Its a good fork but the chasis difference between a totem and it are pretty solid. The 36 does flex more than a totem and the totem/Avy would be a solid set up.... Im looking for a totem now to slap an avy cart in and start tuning it...

New fox vs Avy is a bit different the fox is adjustable and makes tuning simple it does alot of stuff really good. BEST production fork I have ever ridden out of the box hands down.... Now the Avy cart is different in a sense you tune it and then just fine tune slow speed from there and it does that GREAT... It is dialed specifically for you not a wide range of riders so its alot more solid when its tuned for you. If someone thats ALOT lighter than you buys it they will need to reshim it to their weight thats the custom part but it will be DIALED for that person.... I love the custom stuff, its dialed for me and if I want to change it up Craig made it SUPER easy... 15 minutes to pull the cart and reshim/install and ride... Its that simple... Both high and low speed comp and rebound can be done as well as a mid speed valve to assist brake dive or jumps...

I will not knock the 2011 fox 36 its a little beast for sure and the kashima is super smooth.....