Quantcast

Fox 36 2015+ volume spacers

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Where the fuck can you actually buy these things? I've called about 10 different shops in my area with no luck, and they don't really seem to exist online either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks, I'd found the PN for the blue one somewhere, but not the orange.

Nobody on this side of the pond seems to have the orange ones in stock, Maybe I'll make some.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I just started running 2 blues. Need to dial it in, was ramping up too hard but I think pressure and comp fiddling can sort it. May drop to just one orange to see if its a better feel.
Either way, my fork shipped with 4 orange so I've got a spare if you need one.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If they're anything like the rear shock reducers when they came out, you pretty much just need to go to a shop and say 'here, order these numbers'.
I tried that without having the part numbers at hand, and the guy kind of just blinked at me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I am doing the same for my X2. I contacted Fox via their website and they told me I can order the parts direct. Call them at:

800-369-7469 x4801

(I have not called them yet.)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a question for 2015 fox 36 owners. It seems a lot of you are running the volume spacers. I am taking it that you are running the fork at the travel that you bought the fork at right? The reason that I am asking is that I had to buy the 170mm version and space it down to 150mm for my Scout. It works great but it is super progressive when you do this. In order to get even close to full travel, I have to really drop the air pressure, and then use a good bit of LSC to keep it controlled. Luckily the 36 has a really good LSC to I can set it up to work well, but there is no way I could run it with volume spacers in it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a question for 2015 fox 36 owners. It seems a lot of you are running the volume spacers. I am taking it that you are running the fork at the travel that you bought the fork at right? The reason that I am asking is that I had to buy the 170mm version and space it down to 150mm for my Scout. It works great but it is super progressive when you do this. In order to get even close to full travel, I have to really drop the air pressure, and then use a good bit of LSC to keep it controlled. Luckily the 36 has a really good LSC to I can set it up to work well, but there is no way I could run it with volume spacers in it.
I have two, one at the original 160mm, one at 120mm on my hardtail. Measuring sag on fork is kind of a crapshoot with stiction, but I'm not running much. I actually think the short travel one needs the spacers more. I have a single blue one in each and it isn't enough.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I have two, one at the original 160mm, one at 120mm on my hardtail. Measuring sag on fork is kind of a crapshoot with stiction, but I'm not running much. I actually think the short travel one needs the spacers more. I have a single blue one in each and it isn't enough.
Interesting. I wonder if there is something up with my fork then. When I initially setup my bike, I added the volume spacers in my inline to dial it in, but my 36 has always been very progressive.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Interesting. I wonder if there is something up with my fork then. When I initially setup my bike, I added the volume spacers in my inline to dial it in, but my 36 has always been very progressive.
I haven't found my 36 to be all that progressive, but I'm changed my setup approach from when I first got it. I'm running a single orange volume spacer now and slightly less pressure than when I first got it. I also have backed off HSC a bit to compensate for the volume spacer - any chance you're running too much HSC?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I haven't found my 36 to be all that progressive, but I'm changed my setup approach from when I first got it. I'm running a single orange volume spacer now and slightly less pressure than when I first got it. I also have backed off HSC a bit to compensate for the volume spacer - any chance you're running too much HSC?
Not unless zero is too much.
Ha, maybe they knew I post here, so they stuffed in some MOAR shims for me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Wait you're running the HSC wide open too? How much air pressure are you running?
Lulz, I just checked the chart. I am supposed to be running 72 psi for my weight and I am running 'bout fiddy.
And still not bottoming out running no volume spacers and no HSC all while taking a tremendous joy in smashing g-outs. Maybe my dog shit in my lowers while I was changing the travel last year.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1. the Fox charts aren't accurate. Their recommended pressure was WAY higher than I settled on.
2. at least with my 36 you have to have a near death riding mishap to get full travel.
3. try it now.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
[looks suspiciously at dog...walks over to bike...briefly smells fork...looks back at dog, still mildly suspiciously, but somewhat relieved]

FWIW, which of course is almost nothing, my fork ('15 RC2 FIT Floater) was pretty hard to get full travel out of until it seemingly "broke in" recently. It may be related to the 2 big step downs I waaaaaayyyy over-sent to flat, but who knows...It may just be getting there from enough ride time, which admittedly has been limited to almost nothing this past winter. Anyway, mine felt like it went from very, very progressive at the very end of the travel to a divey mess practically overnight. I've since added a buncho high speed compression, as well as cranked down the low speed compression for jump seshes. This seems to have addressed the divey, weirdness that was happening on lips and in hard berms, and I've been reducing LSC when I'm purely trail riding. No complaints really, but I still may add a blue token to see what happens.

Ninja dog poops and (extremely) poor speed management aside, this is still hands down the bestest bumpstick I've used. Well, I mean, for a fork that has 1930 era Russian tolerances and outrageous bushing slop it's not bad.

EDIT - I actually use slightly higher air pressure than Fox suggests, but I'm still playing with this since adding a lot of compression damping.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Huh. I'm running pretty damn close to the recommended pressure, a decent amount of HSC, and want moar spacers. You guys need to smash shit harder. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm running right about on par with the chart, one blue spacer, 130mm travel in a niner fork. I have trouble getting the last inch of travel, but not so much that i notice. I think that's just the bumper saving my ass. My bike is pretty settled at this point so I plan on playing with progression a little more.

And stiction? Really? This fork is the smoothest I've felt aside from the practically undamped lefty I had. It's probably the gold ano.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lulz, I just checked the chart. I am supposed to be running 72 psi for my weight and I am running 'bout fiddy.
And still not bottoming out running no volume spacers and no HSC all while taking a tremendous joy in smashing g-outs. Maybe my dog shit in my lowers while I was changing the travel last year.
Sounds like you might have air trapped in the lowers. When you changed the travel, did you compress the fork to remove the air before you sealed it up by tightening the lowers? If not, try it now...

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Wait you're running the HSC wide open too? How much air pressure are you running?
If it is an early '15 fork, they had way firmer compression & rebound settings. It has since been softened considerably.

I have maybe 1-2 clicks of HSC, and 2-3 max of rebound (wide open).
Air pressure is just under 60 psi in 180mm travel setting with one blue spacer. No harsh bottom, ever.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Going to one blue, one orange in the 120mm one on my hardtail was a big improvement. Haven't ridden the 160mm one yet since adding a spacer.

FWIW I'm running 77psi, HSC 7 clicks in from closed, LSC 11 clicks in on the 120mm one. I weigh about 160#. I have a little less air in the 160mm one, but I think the compression settings are pretty similar.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
How can you tell if you have an early model one? Mine was an oem 2015 36.

If it is an early '15 fork, they had way firmer compression & rebound settings. It has since been softened considerably.

I have maybe 1-2 clicks of HSC, and 2-3 max of rebound (wide open).
Air pressure is just under 60 psi in 180mm travel setting with one blue spacer. No harsh bottom, ever.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Amazing, different people with different fork settings! :o

That said, I now have mine at 5 clicks from closed for HSC and 12 or so from closed for LSC (trail riding, less for teh hux), with ~80 psi. I'm 185 lbs with endurope kit, and at times believe that landers are really just small Egyptian burial tombs and best avoided. #freeride

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I weigh 185# (and rising......) and am running about the same. 50PSI and 1 click from open on HSC. 10 clicks from open on LSC.

Occasionally I do find full compression scenarios. Overall it still feels stiff though. Might back down on pressure even MOAR!!!!