Quantcast

Fox 36 Float RC2 v. Van RC2

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm debating between these two to hang off the front of a frame I'll be picking up soon for all around AM/light DH use. Anyone have significant ride time on both? All previous 32mm Fox air forks I've owned (all 06ish and older) have admittedly felt pretty craptacular...lots of stiction, especially TALAS models, but I'm under the impression things have significantly improved.

Enlighten me.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I had an '06 Van 36 RC2 in 2006. I have an '09 TALAS 36 RC2 now. Never ridden a 36 Float.

The Van had better small bump compliance and plushness overall. The overall plushness was only a tiny bit better. The small bump compliance was noticeably better at slow speeds (i.e. climbing) but once speeds picked up it was about the same.

The weight difference between the Float and Van isn't that great is it? If I didn't need the travel adjust I'd run a Van, just because coil is more reliable and a tiny bit smoother.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would run a Float. The TALAS seems to feel worse to me in all their forks. A VAN will be the best feeling, but heavier and not as adjustable in terms of spring rate.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's about a half pound lighter than the Vanilla. I had a Van RC2 that I really liked, but it was before the damping was updated and it blew through its travel quite quickly on bigger hits.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have run the 07 08 and 09 Float forks, never seemed to Stiction they just feel plush.

But I have not rode a new Van so I do not know how that compares.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I have been running an 09 TALAS RC2 for the last season and a half. The small bump compliance is a non issue for me (running slightly less low speed than on a coil) but the coil is slightly better. If the Float feels even better than the TALAS then I don't think you would be giving up enough performance over the Van to not justify the weight savings you would benefit from getting the Float. Either way you will end up with a really good fork.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know you're only asking about 36s, but I'd look really hard at the Lyric coil. I've ridden a Lyric coil and 36 Float (and Talas) and own a 36 Vanilla and a Totem. Unimpressed with the Talas, tons of stiction, no small bump sensitivity. The Float is loads better, but not quite up there with the Vanilla. But I like the Lyric better than either of them. The damping is every bit as good, but it's easier to work on, has adjustable travel, and the bushings don't tend to eat the stanchions a-la Fox.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I know you're only asking about 36s, but I'd look really hard at the Lyric coil. I've ridden a Lyric coil and 36 Float (and Talas) and own a 36 Vanilla and a Totem. Unimpressed with the Talas, tons of stiction, no small bump sensitivity. The Float is loads better, but not quite up there with the Vanilla. But I like the Lyric better than either of them. The damping is every bit as good, but it's easier to work on, has adjustable travel, and the bushings don't tend to eat the stanchions a-la Fox.
Just ordered a Lyrik Coil to put on my Specialized Pitch. Found it dirt cheap on ebay......

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had this dilemma this year actually. I ended up going with the float over the van. It wasn't the weight or color but the fact that you can adjust the float's travel. I ended up changing mine to 150mm so my bike climbed a little better.
I didn't want a Talas at all, I don't need to change travel on the trail, but I wanted to adjust the bike geometry.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had this dilemma this year actually. I ended up going with the float over the van. It wasn't the weight or color but the fact that you can adjust the float's travel. I ended up changing mine to 150mm so my bike climbed a little better.
I didn't want a Talas at all, I don't need to change travel on the trail, but I wanted to adjust the bike geometry.