Quantcast

Fox 36 is back

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

Digging the '70s look. Starting at 1900g, it supposably accepts 15 and 20mm axles.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Will it run 27.5 with 2.4 tires with enough realistic clearance?
Do you have a link to specs?
it's not up on the Fox site yet, from what I can tell....

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Will it run 27.5 with 2.4 tires with enough realistic clearance?
Do you have a link to specs?
it's not up on the Fox site yet, from what I can tell....
I suppose the 36 should be laid out to handle a decent size tire, but i cannot find any specific info anywhere.

Pics are from a German mag that also doesn't have any technical specs, other than that there is only the leaked maintenance video on Vital.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
curious to see if this is a Pike-crusher, or just a 'too little, too late' with just CTD tech.
One bit of info i was able to find was the fact that the 32s and 34s will have a "on the fly CTD" featuring a trail mode with 7 different settings. The entire range will get new seals that are supposed to siginificantly lower stiction.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Glad if didn't go away. And my old 36 was bolt on axle, which was never a problem.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Who cares about tire clearance, it has orange decals and "a redesigned air spring system that equalizes rider weight for increased traction". WTH does that mean? :confused:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Life is not an XC race.
but your buddies might get pissed at you while you dig around in your camelbak for your multi tool and have to loosen, then tighten 5 bolts... probably with two different allen key sizes, all while they are being eaten alive by mosquitoes while watching the seconds tick away on their strava KOM times.

At 1900 grams, if this fork had been available last year, I might have chosen it over the Pike. As long as it kept the RC2 cart and didn't have CTD. Though I have to admit, now that I've gone Pike, and know what "supple off the top, good midstroke support, and controlled bottom out" feels like. This new 36 is up against significantly improved competition. It has big boots to fill.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
but your buddies might get pissed at you while you dig around in your camelbak for your multi tool and have to loosen, then tighten 5 bolts... probably with two different allen key sizes, all while they are being eaten alive by mosquitoes while watching the seconds tick away on their strava KOM times.
Not to mention the chances of losing said parts whilst horse-packing your bike to the trailhead.

I believe this fork has a version of the Float 40 air spring, which is cool.
Any # of CTD levels; not cool.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Who cares about tire clearance, it has orange decals and "a redesigned air spring system that equalizes rider weight for increased traction". WTH does that mean? :confused:
They're basically doing their own version of RockShox's SoloAir. An air negative spring which equalizes pressures on topout. More info at BikeRumor.

EDIT: Vital states the 36 will be offered in the good ol' RC2 configuration. Looks like Fox has half-learned CTD was a POS.

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Not to mention the chances of losing said parts whilst horse-packing your bike to the trailhead.

I believe this fork has a version of the Float 40 air spring, which is cool.
Any # of CTD levels; not cool.
Em no, actually the Float 40 had the same air spring as the 2014 and 2013 single crowns. This new spring is basically a Solo Air system.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Em no, actually the Float 40 had the same air spring as the 2014 and 2013 single crowns. This new spring is basically a Solo Air system.
Weren't you the guy who said the RS-1 wasn't a USD fork? ;)

Thanks for clarifying.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
curious to see if this is a Pike-crusher, or just a 'too little, too late' with just CTD tech.
i am fairly certain the 36 still doesnt come with ctd.. i dunno about you guys, but i am excited about those new lower stickers (seeing as how my 40 is now sticker-less)

stickers!!!! i am excite!

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Actually, now that I see those service videos posted earlier, it seems like this new air spring system is basically a glorified air Talas (I to IV) with no quick travel change. It has a negative seal head with option to thread travel spacers, a main piston with no scraper seal and an air transfer tube to equalize.

This kinda sucks, instead of using 1 dynamic seal like on the old Float systems, now you have 3 dynamic seals (main piston to stanchion, air transfer tube to main piston and seal head to shaft).

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.28.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.27.21 AM.png

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
my 2014 fox 34 was half a pound heavier than the fox claimed weight. so when I read "The new 36 RC2 fork is the lightest ever made by Fox. At a claimed 4.19 pounds, it is a half-pound lighter than its predecessor" I'm thinking why would I believe these liars.

meanwhile the actual weight of pikes in 2014, IME, was exactly what SRAM claimed.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
"27.5 – FLOAT and TALAS 160mm and FLOAT 170mm"

No 180mm for 27,5"? Bummer :(

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Necessary for the Creak-O-Matic axle system.
The good news is, looks like it's only the 15mm gets the Moar Shimz Creak-O-Matic system, if you just run it with the 20mm it's exactly like the axle on the 40 (and old 36) which works totally fine.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
They increased the amount of low speed compression damping. So its less plush. So it beats the crap out of you on long rides. Just like the Park 180!
All that feed back from riders complaining that the fork moves too much. Cant have that.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
They increased the amount of low speed compression damping. So its less plush. So it beats the crap out of you on long rides. Just like the Park 180!
All that feed back from riders complaining that the fork moves too much. Cant have that.
They are also taking a lot of friction reducing measures like the 20wt lube, new seal head, etc. If it is much smoother than before a little more compression damping could be called for.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No problem, they'll be plenty slow when thieves steal their bikes or wheels because all they had to do was flip the QR. That's one reason I loved bolt-through axles that required tools, easier to secure.

Last edited: