Quantcast

Fox 36 Talas

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Been thinking about putting on on my STP. It's less travel than the drop off I have on there now but the a-c looked somewhat long when I was playing with it in the shop.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
nice review. sounds like its time to upgrade my old 03 talas. only problem with it is that when you run into a 3 foot ditch at full speed they break... :bonk:
Yup, that'll do it. :busted:

Been thinking about putting on on my STP. It's less travel than the drop off I have on there now but the a-c looked somewhat long when I was playing with it in the shop.
How big is the drop off?? The TALAS will do around 4"/5"/6.3" travel. I didn't they they did a drop off with more than 5"? In any case, I'd go with quality over quantity any day. The 36 was buttery at 5/6". I noticed a bit of stiffening up at 4", felt more like an air fork at that point. I let out a bit of air pressure and it helped, but still wasn't as plush as it was at 6".

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a 07 and a 08 Float, never noticed a stiffness difference, the qr is really cool, to bad I only take off the wheel for flats/new tires.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
how would a fox float and dhx air combo perform for a dh setup
i like these because theyre light but i dont know if theyre apropriate for a dh setup

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
very nice review I love my 2008 as well ...better than last year for sure...How do you have your set up in its full travel mode?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
very nice review I love my 2008 as well ...better than last year for sure...How do you have your set up in its full travel mode?
I can;t remember the exact settings, 6 feet of snow here now so won't be riding again for a bit and haven't been on it since late fall.

I do know I ran it a bit lower than recommended, and had 2 clicks of high speed compression, 3 of low speed. It felt friggin' amazing at 6".

I still am wondering if it just wasn't broken in enough at the 4" setting and that's why it felt a bit different. I found myself running it in 5" mode when riding trails, even on the hardtail just because I could. Let some air out, run it lower in it's travel and away I went.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
how would a fox float and dhx air combo perform for a dh setup
i like these because theyre light but i dont know if theyre apropriate for a dh setup
I am running a talas and dhx air on my downhill rig and so far it has turned out alright. very adjustable but you just have to make sure you like the feel of air (def not oil) before you do it. Which bike are you thinking about?

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
According to Fox, the new axle has increased the stiffness overall by 30%+ over the bolt on fork from last year.
How the heck? Do you mean the axle itself is 30% stiffer, or the entire fork is 30% stiffer solely due to the axle? Frankly I don't see how that's possible. My '07 Talas 36 is already so ridiculously stiff that I am aware of flex in other parts of my bike that I didn't notice before with other forks.

I could tolerate the self-installing axle with its lever, but I really hate the Tullio-style QRs. Give me bolts any day.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
How the heck? Do you mean the axle itself is 30% stiffer, or the entire fork is 30% stiffer solely due to the axle? Frankly I don't see how that's possible. My '07 Talas 36 is already so ridiculously stiff that I am aware of flex in other parts of my bike that I didn't notice before with other forks.

I could tolerate the self-installing axle with its lever, but I really hate the Tullio-style QRs. Give me bolts any day.
The axle interface has a lot to do with how stiff the fork is. If the axle can twist even the slightest, the fork will suffer. Apparently the new interface is much better than the old one. (It certainly is more travel friendly). Like I said, it is according to Fox. I don't have a flexometer handy and didn't ride a 2007 for comparison.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Interesting. I wonder if it's backwards compatible. :hmm:

The axle interface has a lot to do with how stiff the fork is. If the axle can twist even the slightest, the fork will suffer.
Yep, that's one reason I've always liked the Hex Lock axle Manitou uses. And loathed the Marzocchi QR20.

Oh, and the 36 is actually my XC fork. :biggrin:

Well, mostly XC. It's lighter than my last few forks that were 130mm or less anyway.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Drop off is 110 mm. I know I'd be better off running one of those slammed 65mm jobs but the bike would lose all its trail riding abilities.

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
woot! I order mine tomarrrrrow, finally! And I get to break it in spring break in so cal!! my am rig will finally be perfect!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea Love my 2008 36 talas. its my xc fork. run it mostly in the 130 mode. but bump it up for some dh trails.
love it.
bike still sits in at just over 28lbs. 2007 stumpy pro, xtr/xo parts

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
I am running a talas and dhx air on my downhill rig and so far it has turned out alright. very adjustable but you just have to make sure you like the feel of air (def not oil) before you do it. Which bike are you thinking about?
Im thinking about running this on a bottle rocket in the future, I want it to be my main dh rig but be a little lighter and have some trail bike capability as well