Quantcast

Fox 36 Van rebuild

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, all I really want to do is change the lubrication oil. I have no leaks or anything. I'm actually really impressed at how well this fork has held up to use and general neglect...

So, my question: The manual says that in order to do this I need to fit new compression washers etc. Is this REALLY necessary or can I get by with just pulling the lowers and changing the oil, as I would for a boxxer? I'm pretty sure when I rebuilt the 32 forks I re-used the compression washers...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If it is the same plastic washer that the Float 36 uses it gets compressed and semi destroyed when used so it shouldn't be reused.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya the compression washers really should be replaced. You can sometimes get away with it, but 90% of the time it will leak like a sieve if you reuse it. It crushes to get a nice tight fit, which renders it useless for a second application.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've always reused mine and I've never had mine leak. What's the worst that can happen? It leaks oil and you have to replace the washer.
Changing the oil only takes about 15-20min max.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I reuse the crush washers most of the time, I only change them when replacing seals and I'll probably change the semi bath fluid twice between seal changes. They leaked a little bit once but stopped pretty quickly. If you make sure the washer, bolts and bottom of your fork is super duper clean before you do the bolts up you should be sweet. It's dirt getting under the washer that causes it to leak

In saying this you really should replace the crush washers every time the lowers come off, its not any more effort its just I usually don't have any new ones except for the ones that come with seals.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
my washers have lasted ages, the last ones stayed fine for 2 years and over 15 oil changes. i only changed them becuase new ones came with the seals.