Quantcast

Fox 38 grip 2 high speed spike

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I picked up my fork this morning and nothing was out of the ordinary with the bushings or cartridge itself. But I did learn something which may be contributing to problems out there (but I don't see how it could cause a damper to lock out on its own):

If you do a lower leg service, make sure you cycle the fork a bunch of times. This will get oil circulated up from the bottom of the fork and into the damper to ensure it's filled properly. Otherwise you're pulling off the lowers, losing the damper bath oil and potentially ending up with a cartridge that's not 100% full. So when you re-install the lowers and put in the specified 5w oil on the cartridge side, you still wind up with not enough oil on the damper side (cartridge and bath).

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I picked up my fork this morning and nothing was out of the ordinary with the bushings or cartridge itself. But I did learn something which may be contributing to problems out there (but I don't see how it could cause a damper to lock out on its own):

If you do a lower leg service, make sure you cycle the fork a bunch of times. This will get oil circulated up from the bottom of the fork and into the damper to ensure it's filled properly. Otherwise you're pulling off the lowers, losing the damper bath oil and potentially ending up with a cartridge that's not 100% full. So when you re-install the lowers and put in the specified 5w oil on the cartridge side, you still wind up with not enough oil on the damper side (cartridge and bath).
What? It's a sealed damper. It inhales through the sealhead by design at a microscopic rate. Pushing the sealhead down into the oil bath won't do anything.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If it was just lube, I figure they'd use Fox Gold in both legs, not just the air spring side. For the cartridge side, they specify you need to use the Fox Teflon 5w stuff. I was told it actually pulls the oil up from the bottom of the cartridge that's submerged under the small oil bath.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If it was just lube, I figure they'd use Fox Gold in both legs, not just the air spring side. For the cartridge side, they specify you need to use the Fox Teflon 5w stuff. I was told it actually pulls the oil up from the bottom of the cartridge that's submerged under the small oil bath.
Yes, it does. At a rate that is 1000x slower than what you're describing though.