Quantcast

Fox 38

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Check it. Nevermind the decals. New 20mm axle config. Potentially useless air bleed ports. Giveaway is the compression knob. It's roughly the same diameter as the stanchions on the 36, but here it's slightly smaller then the stanchion. Also, Matty posted the photos in a folder called fox-38. Plus him and Ritchie go way back

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I want one, but I'd rather just stick some Avalanche magic in the 36 I got for the time being.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
This is a new chassis, not damper.
I'm well aware of that, but the 36 I got is the OEM Performance/elite 2015 version. So if I'm upgrading, a new cartridge is more realistic on my budget even if the new chassis and Factory internals are much nicer than what I've got.

I do wonder what travel increments this new fork will come in though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
38 will help transfer more stress to the crown-steerer junction, thereby hastening the adoption of 1.8...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
38 will help transfer more stress to the crown-steerer junction, thereby hastening the adoption of 1.8...
Maybe it'll be a unicrown like X Fusion stuff.
Or at least they could go with ano instead of paint so the headset bearing seat sits on something that's uniformly flat and non compressible.
This should have been the Z1 instead of the piece of poop that I bought, Fox shit on the Marz name when they released the Z1.

Oh, bring back the 1.5" steerer, steerers are hugely long on new slack bikes and they flex like fuck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting that one has Fox's r&d decals on it and Richie's had 36 decals despite clearly being the same fork (at least the chassis)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
So Fox couldn't stand Manitou having a 37mm one and went for 38?
Meanwhile RS doesn't go bigger than 35mm even on their dual crowned forks and their single crowned forks are stiffer than 36s from Fox...

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
anyone else notice the tapered "vein" on the backside of the lowers? this. It goes from where the foam ring sits and past the bleed port. Could this be some sort of oil circulator that keeps the foam ring and bushing lubed? I remember someone mentioning this was something fox was working on for their new forx. this 38 looks like an improvement over the current long travel single crown fork out now but I can't help but wonder how it would compare to a Mojo'd MORC 36 dual crown with the older dual pinch bolt 20mm axle clamps. also, fuck 1.8" that shit is bunk.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
anyone else notice the tapered "vein" on the backside of the lowers? this. It goes from where the foam ring sits and past the bleed port. Could this be some sort of oil circulator that keeps the foam ring and bushing lubed? I remember someone mentioning this was something fox was working on for their new forx. this 38 looks like an improvement over the current long travel single crown fork out now but I can't help but wonder how it would compare to a Mojo'd MORC 36 dual crown with the older dual pinch bolt 20mm axle clamps. also, fuck 1.8" that shit is bunk.
Could just be a fore-aft stiffener too.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Does anyone besides possibly Richie really need a single crown fork that's stiffer than a current 36? Those things are stiff as hell.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Is anyone else out there loving the fact that you can buy a good chassis cheap, like some RS and Marzoocchi stuff, put an Avy/push/whatever in it, and end up with a better than any off the shelf suspension product? I am!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, for one, when pinch bolts were used instead of stupid screw-on axles. Of course, they struggled to get some kind of QR on there so that thieves could easily steal your wheels, cuz that's important, eventually settling with the screw-on axle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When? I have a 2015/16 36 on my bike and I wonder if that's one with a good chassis or not. 170mm travel and can take both kinds of axles, 20mm and 15mm.
Those aren't bad, but the older chassis with the lower legs that extended well past the dropouts was stiffer. (And also a bunch heavier, so there's that.)

And yes, lots of people, myself included, could use a stiffer single crown.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, yeah, a lighter dual crown would probably be better. I already have a lowered 40 on my enderpo bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As enduro bikes get more capable, it only makes sense to go to DC. Has anyone ever put a 170-180mm 29er single crown fork up against an 8" boxxer? It's freaking mind-blowing how long the axle to crown is on these single crowns and it's no mystery why so much creaking and problems with the interface are happening...all of which would be easily solved with a DC.