Quantcast

Fox 38

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yesterday I was actually thinking "should I sell my 38 and get the Zeb" only because I actually like my '19 Boxxer WC a lot. I was listening to some reviews on the way home and RS only increased the fore and aft stiffness by 2%, whereas Fox increased theirs by 17% or something (the Zeb can go up to 190mm travel vs the maximum 180mm on the 38). Something about RS not thinking the fore and aft stiffness was as important. Really?? I know even with the 38 the fore and aft stiffness isn't as good as a reduced travel dual crown, but after hearing those numbers, I don't quite get why RS wouldn't want to increase that number.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yesterday I was actually thinking "should I sell my 38 and get the Zeb" only because I actually like my '19 Boxxer WC a lot. I was listening to some reviews on the way home and RS only increased the fore and aft stiffness by 2%, whereas Fox increased theirs by 17% or something (the Zeb can go up to 190mm travel vs the maximum 180mm on the 38). Something about RS not thinking the fore and aft stiffness was as important. Really?? I know even with the 38 the fore and aft stiffness isn't as good as a reduced travel dual crown, but after hearing those numbers, I don't quite get why RS wouldn't want to increase that number.
i don't get why they used 15mm axles either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Without a baseline measurement for each it's all kind of meaningless ain't it?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No that would indicate some sort of parity in US measurements.

Forks have nothing to do with mining.

We call them chopper sticker outer units.
You should dedicate your career to inventing a new non-standard standard for your industry. Because.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a 36 and a lyric, albeit on different bikes. The Lyric seemed to track a hell of a lot better than the 36 which I assumed to be from being more rigid. Then I realized I was running 20mm of spacers under the stem of the 36, removed them and it felt almost the same. So it could have been steerer rigidity, or just having more weight over my front wheel.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah, I'd love to see some sort of stiffness testing results for both Zeb and 38. It seems to me like different length versions of the same single crown fork will have diff fore-aft stiffness.

2% is such a marginal gain as to be embarrassment.

I'm buying a new fork in the next month or so, and am debating trying to find a Zeb vs a used Lyrik Ultimate.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah, I'd love to see some sort of stiffness testing results for both Zeb and 38. It seems to me like different length versions of the same single crown fork will have diff fore-aft stiffness.

I'm buying a new fork in the next month or so, and am debating trying to find a Zeb vs a used Lyrik Ultimate.
Why u no faux?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver

I think someone out there needs to test that fore and aft stiffness. What if the Zeb's fore and aft stiffness is the same as the 38's, even though RS only had to increase theirs by 2%?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Remember all the guys that bought vpfrees, turner highlines, sx trails, knolly whatever those were etc, and then rode them as xc/trailbikes because singletrack trails are scary?

That's what enduro bikes are now. And with coil shocks, 29" wheels and Double down casings they weigh the same as they did 15 years ago :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Remember all the guys that bought vpfrees, turner highlines, sx trails knolly whatever those were etc, and then rode them as xc/trailbikes because singletrack trails are scary?

That's what enduro bikes are now. And with coil shocks, 29" wheels and Double down casings they weigh the same as they did 15 years ago :rofl:
i definitely took my sx trail to lift access parks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Remember all the guys that bought vpfrees, turner highlines, sx trails, knolly whatever those were etc, and then rode them as xc/trailbikes because singletrack trails are scary?

What seems to be categorized as the "real" enduro bikes are quite confusing, usually 170mm or more, crazy slack, less than 64 degrees, and I literally see no one riding these up trails/access roads. Oh, they'll shuttle them and ride them at the park and I definitely see them out and about. Enduro races? Yeah right, people go for lighter rigs, most of which aren't nearly as "enduro". Turns out that pedaling up does take a shitload from you and being able to fit a few more pedal strokes in on the DH is still faster.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

also on this subject, i recently dropped my mattoc to 120mm and put it on my scott spark along with some proper tires. the mattoc made a huge difference over the Fox 32 Spaghetti edition that was on it. so far i've been riding it almost everywhere i'd been riding my megatrail without issue. to be fair though, the MT was overkill for most of the trails.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I rode my Highline from Whistler village and did the full Comfortably Numb once...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You fools actually rode the bikes as they were meant to be ridden. I had two the bikes of what I listed as well and loved them.

I'm talking about primal scream jersey, do rag under the giro switchblade helmet, mtbr guy who just rides xc trails.

Or in todays fanny pack, welder shades, "pads for pedaling", bell 2R terms: toodles

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i rode an uzzi from 2009-2018 because i'm a cheap bastard and am willing to pedal harder locally to have something that i can take to other places and not worry about. i don't ride real park stuff often enough to justify a real dh bike. it was happiest with a 20mm axled 36 on steep backcountry chunk, but also did admirably well at windrock, snowshoe, beech, and bailey.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
You fools actually rode the bikes as they were meant to be ridden. I had two the bikes of what I listed as well and loved them.

I'm talking about primal scream jersey, do rag under the giro switchblade helmet, mtbr guy who just rides xc trails.

On in todays fanny pack, welder shades, "pads for pedaling", bell 2R terms: toodles

Ha, I see that all the time. Some dude out on flat xc trails wearing a roost protector.
The reason I raced that sx trail all year was because I got the demo 8 first and that model
year was absolutely horrible.