Quantcast

Fox 38

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah I've been running the enduro-40 for the better part of two years now, it's a non-issue.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When? I have a 2015/16 36 on my bike and I wonder if that's one with a good chassis or not. 170mm travel and can take both kinds of axles, 20mm and 15mm.
That's the first gen of lightness.

And weakness.

Go find a 2010 somewhere and just hold it up. You'll understand.

That design came around with 26" wheels. Wheels are bigger and brakes are better these days. They need to return some burly. In addition to my 6 year old fox 40, I've also ovalized the lowers on my 36 apparently. On the brake side, so that's a problem.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’d like an OG Monster T chassis with modern internals. That had fantastic turning radius for a dual crown.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I was afraid so. I've noticed the fork flexing fore/aft like crazy during heavy braking.
What travel do you have it set at? The one at 120mm on my hardtail is pretty solid, but the fore-aft flex was pretty bad at 180mm on bigger bikes. That length makes a difference.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I highly doubt you turn your bars *that* far...I did this for years and it was never an issue.
I mean, as long as we aren't talking about SID XLs and those narrow Super Ts...I mean, aren't there just as freaking tight switchbacks in DHing when people are actually using DH bikes? It's not like they make the trails harder when you get on your enduro rig...

1569203281152.png

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
What travel do you have it set at? The one at 120mm on my hardtail is pretty solid, but the fore-aft flex was pretty bad at 180mm on bigger bikes. That length makes a difference.
It's set to 170mm travel, the standard setting for the GT Sanction it's on. I'm a fat fuck though with powerful brakes, which I'm sure doesn't help.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As much as I like the stiffness of a dual crown I wouldn't want to deal with the steering lock issues on tight switchbacks that would come up on my enduro/trail bikes.
You're just riding bad trails then if they have switchbacks that tight.

Here's what I do when encountering super tight switchbacks:

1. Stop and set my bike down
2. Drop'em
3. Squeeze deuce on apex
4. Leave a lighter and happier me hoping enough people get disgusted someone reroutes the trail better

It helps.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wait, wait, WAIT...so what you're saying is I can blame my flexy 180 for noodling around and destroying my knee and not my hacktastic riding "skills"? such a relief. THX BROS.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You're just riding bad trails then if they have switchbacks that tight.

Here's what I do when encountering super tight switchbacks:

1. Stop and set my bike down
2. Drop'em
3. Squeeze deuce on apex
4. Leave a lighter and happier me hoping enough people get disgusted someone reroutes the trail better

It helps.
So what do you do for the second, third and fourth in a row? :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I mean, as long as we aren't talking about SID XLs and those narrow Super Ts...I mean, aren't there just as freaking tight switchbacks in DHing when people are actually using DH bikes? It's not like they make the trails harder when you get on your enduro rig...

View attachment 137263
I'm sure some have to deal with that, but my DH bikes rarely saw the same trails since to get to the top they'd have to climb. I've also never been to a resort with tight switchbacks on their DH trails. Super Ts were pretty tight, the Dorado was better but had a tall axle to crown. The 40 was better, the RV1 is middle of the road.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I rode DH bikes at all kinds of places on DH trails, not just ski resorts. Pretty sure that riding on super-wide flow-line trails at ski resorts is a much newer thing than dual crown DH forks and general DH-bike worthy riding.

I just don't see this as a real issue. If someone wants to do bar-spins...ok then, but this falls more under one of those "perception" issues rather than a reality one, like the perception that the trees are really close so you need skinny bars or the perception that the terrain drops off to the side of the trail so you have to go real slow. That may be why we haven't seen a resurgence of these forks, because the perception will be the turning radius, that they will be heavier, bulkier, etc., even when they will be better for the purpose. It's about selling after all, not riding...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just don't see this as a real issue. If someone wants to do bar-spins...ok then, but this falls more under one of those "perception" issues rather than a reality one, like the perception that the trees are really close so you need skinny bars or the perception that the terrain drops off to the side of the trail so you have to go real slow. That may be why we haven't seen a resurgence of these forks, because the perception will be the turning radius, that they will be heavier, bulkier, etc., even when they will be better for the purpose. It's about selling after all, not riding...
agree 100%

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
why the fuck does the bartlett use a 15mm axle?
How else would you know it's for trail bikes instead of DH bikes?

We were very drunk last weekend and talking about forks, since the 38 is now a thing, we decided that the all new 42 should be also, make it a light weight freeride/park dual crown, and the 44 or 46 can be a true DH rated 29er race fork. It made a lot of sense at the time, but then we ran out of whisky and Ubered to Oktoberfest, so that's about as far as we got with it.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Boxxer, 40 and RV1 all go down to 180mm and are within 100-200g of a Bartlett.
Even the Bartlet is 100-200g heavier than I'd like and plenty of people would like 160 or 170mm. If this was a market segment pursued by the big brands for years I bet we could have a fork within 150g of the current 36, stiffer, and quieter. Look at Maverick's "steerer bolt" as an example of how weight could be saved

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
That thing looks remarkably similar to the RST Mozo Pro from about 15 years ago. I wonder if the insides have changed at all?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
nope

two forks, two 20s yo
You are literally the only one.

Me, I DGAF, just stick with one standard here. 20 doesn't make the fork some ultra-rigid chassis, stanchion size, dual crowns, crown design, lowers and the actual clamp design does that.

Wankers wanting quick releases will render any "improvements" in the area of axle size null.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
20 doesn't make the fork some ultra-rigid chassis
But it does make it more rigid.
I've owned 3 different forks and ridden them with 15mm and 20mm axles. Same lowers, same CSU, same wheels. It makes a difference, along with every other component. They lightened these things in 2015 trimming material off everything else which made them noodles compared to the old ones. Anything you can gain back is good.

I'm not the only one, just in the minority. But don't confuse 'popular' with 'what's available'. I had to go out of my way to get 20mm axles. Most people are like you and 'DFAF.' That doesn't mean they're doing it deliberately or for a reason however, they're just grabbing what's by far the most prevalent system.

Last edited: