Quantcast

Fox 38

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
yes, but because the damper was hot garbage. it would need a rebuild after a parking lot test.
I was going to say it was because it had a service interval of about 13.7 seconds, but you beat me to it :D

Good idea, flawed execution.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Frontal: 236.1/262.8/284.8
Interesting, with no real need to keep stack heights low on trailbikes these days, a full 1.5" steerer makes sense if it really offers an 8% jump in lateral / braking stiffness. Shame frames ditched compatibility but maybe again someday, if someone doesn't make an external cup adaptor already.

For all the e-bike hate here, I think e-bikes will be what forces stiffer forks and better brakes from the industry, which can be enjoyed by self/gravity-propelled folk too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
For all the e-bike hate here, I think e-bikes will be what forces stiffer forks and better brakes from the industry, which can be enjoyed by self/gravity-propelled folk too.
Get out of my head.

that's the first thing I though of when rockshox started making e-bike forks two years ago.

It took 60lb trailbikes to make slow people realize that components could be built better. Whatevs....at least it's happening. The shittiest part will be that my purchase will register as:

"See? ebikes are popular! People keep buying these forks for them!"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Get out of my head.

that's the first thing I though of when rockshox started making e-bike forks two years ago.

It took 60lb trailbikes to make slow people realize that components could be built better. Whatevs....at least it's happening. The shittiest part will be that my purchase will register as:

"See? ebikes are popular! People keep buying these forks for them!"
I wonder if the 36 on my Pivot Shuttle is an e-bike specific version. I guess I'll find out when/if Push refuses to work on it (I think their parts aren't compatible).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
So a Lyrik weighs 2000g and isn't stiff enough, but a 2500 gram Boxxer is too heavy?
Well, no one said they were stoked on the Lyric's light weight, and yes, an extra pound+ on the front end can be felt. These days it's almost impossible to get a proper enduro bike under 30lbs. Considering an enduro bike is a trail bike that needs to be climbed and hopefully is fun on flatter trails, 30lbs is kinda porky. Not many people are looking for ways to add a pound to their bike. They're looking ways to shed weight to make up for the gains from 29" rims & tires, cush cores, and 200mm droppers.

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I was always curious about running an SC Nomad with some reduced travel WC Boxxers. I imagine that could be a pretty lightweight build if you chose wisely.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I was always curious about running an SC Nomad with some reduced travel WC Boxxers. I imagine that could be a pretty lightweight build if you chose wisely.
I've thought about it a lot . . . just haven't found a good deal on a used fork yet . . . my 36 @ 180 feels relatively solid thus far but the potential for extra smashability is intriguing for sure.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I know no one cares, but I decided to use my beloved dorado fork on my E29 for gravity riding. For trail messing still gonna use the shitpile Pike. Why the big fork? Because I don't give a Fcuk and the extra 1 kg at the front will make me stronger. An additional benefit is the increased chance of a cracked frame! :D

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Interesting, with no real need to keep stack heights low on trailbikes these days, a full 1.5" steerer makes sense if it really offers an 8% jump in lateral / braking stiffness. Shame frames ditched compatibility but maybe again someday, if someone doesn't make an external cup adaptor already.

The+Smash-Fram-5.jpg

I don't understand why you wouldn't use a 1.5 headtube or a 20mm fork axle. Did Fox go back to 20mm with a 15mm adapter option right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Like I keep saying: TOTEM

Remember all the little tribal graphics on those things? That's because they knew they'd come back from the dead with a bunch of chanting around a camp fire.

totem.....totem.....totem......totem

Shit, now I said it too may times and that word sounds weird.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Like I keep saying: TOTEM

Remember all the little tribal graphics on those things? That's because they knew they'd come back from the dead with a bunch of chanting around a camp fire.

totem.....totem.....totem......totem

Shit, now I said it too may times and that word sounds weird.
I have a pair of Totem's.

1570069224199.png

:D

They are Mani-2's so you got the whole spirit thing down.

:busted: I'll get me coat.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When was the last time someone made a fork with a straight 1.5 steerer? Some Manitou abomination?
Haha, I emailed Manitou to see if they'd do a Mezzer with a 1.5" HT and they referred me to the NZ distributor who said it may be possible, seemed like too much work to still end up with a shitty 15mm axle though.

Magura dropped their E bike fork after a year, the auto turning under brakes feature was not a quality E bikers wanted.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, I emailed Manitou to see if they'd do a Mezzer with a 1.5" HT and they referred me to the NZ distributor who said it may be possible, seemed like too much work to still end up with a shitty 15mm axle though.

Magura dropped their E bike fork after a year, the auto turning under brakes feature was not a quality E bikers wanted.
after owning a mattoc pro i gotta say i like the looks/specs of the mezzer, and early review are very positive.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Guys.

I just got a '19 Grip2 36 and it feels great. At first I though the whole high- and low-speed rebound thing was too much, but it turns out it's pretty amazing. Am I allowed to like this fork?

You guys.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Guys.

I just got a '19 Grip2 36 and it feels great. At first I though the whole high- and low-speed rebound thing was too much, but it turns out it's pretty amazing. Am I allowed to like this fork?

You guys.
Is that what came on the orange julius?
I'd like to test ride that bike one day.