Quantcast

Fox 38

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm more excited to see the current arch design go away rather than seeing the members get a bit more swollen.
A nice curved arch should be a bunch better for lateral stifness compared to the previous almost 90deg "arch" with a straight bit in the middle.
Looks like we're finally back to function over form, yay!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm more excited to see the current arch design go away rather than seeing the members get a bit more swollen.
A nice curved arch should be a bunch better for lateral stifness compared to the previous almost 90deg "arch" with a straight bit in the middle.
Oh great...now we got engineers designing sh*t.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
curved like a m?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Do reviewers not take stuff apart? You'd think writing for one of the biggest sites theyd take a look at the guts and review how it is to service especially since the writer mentioned he had it for months

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Do reviewers not take stuff apart? You'd think writing for one of the biggest sites theyd take a look at the guts and review how it is to service especially since the writer mentioned he had it for months

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
NSMB reviews are pretty awesome for that. They'll often start by doing a tear down of stuff, and most reviews include at least something in terms of a service assessment.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just came across RST's 38mm stanchioned Stitch fork, it has a 20mm boost axle and you can get a 1.5" straight steerer.
Wonder if it would be put together well enough to be a candidate for an Avy swap?
I'd still love to see tapered steerers, 15mm axles and their insignificant weight savings fuck right off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just came across RST's 38mm stanchioned Stitch fork, it has a 20mm boost axle and you can get a 1.5" straight steerer.
Wonder if it would be put together well enough to be a candidate for an Avy swap?
I'd still love to see tapered steerers, 15mm axles and their insignificant weight savings fuck right off.
Which is great except pretty much only dh frames have 1.5 headtubes anymore, and that's not so they can use a 1.5 steerer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
TBH most of the RST forks I've dealt with had two major issues: the stanchion/bushings friction was a "constructive feature", and the same stanchions had a strong tendency to divorce themselves from the crown in a very unannounced manner.

After those RST space forks years ago that's all I can think about as well. They still making that feature?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Also a tapered steerer is not an insignificant weight savings.
It is if you don't care, also, now I flat out wouldn't buy a frame that didn't have a 44mm ID for the upper cup.
For fatties like me I see Intend's Stiffmaster as a necessity, and adding it no doubt takes away the exact amount of weight savings that going to tapered saves.

The thought of a tapered steerer and a drop in headset in a plastic frame brings tears to my eyes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Stiffmaster is stiffer than a slammed stem, no spacers, flat headset cap?

It is if you don't care, also, now I flat out wouldn't buy a frame that didn't have a 44mm ID for the upper cup.
For fatties like me I see Intend's Stiffmaster as a necessity, and adding it no doubt takes away the exact amount of weight savings that going to tapered saves.

The thought of a tapered steerer and a drop in headset in a plastic frame brings tears to my eyes.