Quantcast

Fox 40 aftermarket valving

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Anyone ever have any experience with an aftermarket re-valve of the fox 40?

My 40 RC2 cart needs to be rebuilt by the weekend, so I was planning on having Adrian Cortina do it (CR1 Engineering) as he is local. Although for an extra $80 he said he could throw in a different valve, which is very tempting.

In the past he has done re-valves (similar to Push) to my friend's DHX and Swinger 6-way, both felt a lot plusher after the service, although I never had anything more than a parking lot test on them.

I am just looking for any wisdom on the subject, I've never rode a fork that has been "pushed" or the like, so I don't really know what to expect, or even know if it is worth it.

BTW, I searched but the search feature is broken, all the old threads are non existent at the moment.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Priority 1 should be getting rid of the retarded bushing/seal drag the 40's have. That way you can get a realistic feel for the damping since 75% of your low speed damping will have been removed.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
How heavy are you and do you ride aggressively?
Weight: 175 + gear

Riding Style: Its my race bike, so I ride as aggressively as needed. Although my favorite part of any trail is when its steep and rocky.

Hacktastic - LSC isn't my problem, I actually like the fork to dip into the travel under braking/weight, helps me weight the front (I should probably be riding a Boxxer). It would be nicer if the fork had usable HSC without sacrificing the low speed plushness. When I run a stiffer spring, the high speed is good, but I have a hard time weighting the front.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'd go for something like this on the base:

17x0.1
17x0.1
15.5x0.1
14.5x0.1
14.5x0.1
13.5x0.1

If you want more dive and g-out control then change the 17x.1's to 17x0.15's. I also put a 13x.1 on the comp side of the mid-valve, but I weigh a lot more and don't like brake dive.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

My 40 RC2 cart needs to be rebuilt by the weekend, so I was planning on having Adrian Cortina do it (CR1 Engineering) as he is local. Although for an extra $80 he said he could throw in a different valve, which is very tempting.

In the past he has done re-valves (similar to Push) to my friend's DHX and Swinger 6-way, both felt a lot plusher after the service, although I never had anything more than a parking lot test on them.

I am just looking for any wisdom on the subject, I've never rode a fork that has been "pushed" or the like, so I don't really know what to expect, or even know if it is worth it.

BTW, I searched but the search feature is broken, all the old threads are non existent at the moment.
You could do that with just different shims like Dilzy said. You don't need to change the valve to get more HSC. If you know what you want then tell Cortina and see what he comes up with.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away

Just have Adrian do your fork. I personally have had my fork rebuilt and I have met many people with revavled fork/shock. He is very good at what he does.

Bert

Chimp
Jan 17, 2002
Cincinnati
I agree, have Adrian do your fork and you won't regret it. He did my old bike, but I just got a new rig and will have him do the fork and shock before race season, it makes that much difference. Just talked to him the other day, believe he has the new cartridges in for the 40, if not soon.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Yeah, he did it for me on Friday. Fork was in sad shape, compression valve was destroyed, and he was kickass enough to take the valve out of his personal fork to get me ready to go for the Fontana race over the weekend.

I'm going to have him do a "sunday tune" on my new Double Barrel when I get the funds to get another one. I had to sell the one from my V10 when I got my Sunday. as the sizes are different.

The fork feels a lot better, still has the same small bump compliance, but is able to handle the larger hits nicely. Still need some more ride time on the SB trails before I have it setup better. I'm stuck here in SLO at school during the week.

He showed me the solidworks drawings for the carts, they look pretty sweet, I felt the proto on his friend's bike and it felt really nice. My friend Tim is doing all the machining for him, and they have a lot of cool sh*t in the works.

Last edited: