Quantcast

Fox 40 coil negative spring plate

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Yo, I'm building a fox 40 and can't get the top out spring plate into the stanchion. I'm pretty sure I have 2014+ butted stanchions and same for the spring plate and coil internals. is this part supposed to be a really tight fit? I measured and it's about 0.3mm bigger than the stanchion.

appreciate any help.
1590516309790.png

Last edited:

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
you have butted stancions with narrow groove for a spiral snap ring?
Yeah there's the spiral type snap ring and the butting that's the same length as the topout plate. I also tried to fit it in the damper side stanchion and it didn;t go.
Could I have gotten a first gen air 40 stanchion? they also use the spiral rings iirc. I was thinking of just sticking one of the preload spacers under the topout spring to stop the plunger from rattling on the butted part.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
the old plate had less going on, I've had the old plate in new and old stancions, Don't remember the old plate being loose new stancions. but I've never tried to put the new plate in old stancions so maybe???

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
yeah i just bought an old plate since i needed a few bits from the uk service center anyway, hopefully it fits.

For now I just stuck on an extra preload spacer under the topout spring. Should make it ridable for a bit.

i wonder if this is just a badly made plate, because fox 2016 fork info mentions a new spring plate but there's no note about incompatibility with the 2015 one.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
the old plate had less going on, I've had the old plate in new and old stancions, but I've never tried to put the new plate in old stancions so maybe???
yeah i just bought an old plate since i needed a few bits from the uk service center anyway, hopefully it fits.

For now I just stuck on an extra preload spacer under the topout spring. Should make it ridable for a bit.

i wonder if this is just a badly made plate, because fox 2016 fork info mentions a new spring plate but there's no note about incompatibility with the 2015 one.
You have the plastic spacer against the snap ring?
Maybe don't ride that..... that's mainly what holds the uppers and lowers togeather....

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
If you take a look at this drawing it shows a negative plate that looks quite substantially different to the one you have and I believe that is the one you actually need; 234-04-052 https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=591#part6056

Edit: Or maybe it's just the funny angle you took those photos at that makes them look different?
nah you're right . i have 234-04-951 which is for 2016+ performance elite forks. 234-04-052 is 2005-2015 neg spring plate.

You have the plastic spacer against the snap ring?
Maybe don't ride that..... that's mainly what holds the uppers and lowers togeather....
yeah now that I think about it the topout spring will be compressed and pushing that spacer into the retainer. fuck that I have another dh bike anyway

Last edited:

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
My other bike has 2011 40 that is overdue a service so i took the plate from that on the right. Its 37.2mm od and left is 37.7.

So stanchion model years up to 2015 need the old part and 2016+ ones with the different retainer clip need the new one, and the old maybe works with both? and the plunger assembly works with all of them hope this helps anyone else trying to encoilify 40s.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
My other bike has 2011 40 that is overdue a service so i took the plate from that on the right. Its 37.2mm od and left is 37.7.

So stanchion model years up to 2015 need the old part and 2016+ ones with the different retainer clip need the new one, and the old maybe works with both? and the plunger assembly works with all of them hope this helps anyone else trying to encoilify 40s.
Hi there, greetings from Germany,

I just found your post because I ran into a similar issue. For me it is just the other way round. I have tho older part and need the new one with 37.7 mm. This is because I needed new parts and did not find any for the 2015 modell. So I bought the newer standpipes (hope that's the correct word) and now the older spring plate is too small and therefore is loose. I am deperatlely looking for the newer plate but it is nowhere available.
So I wanted to ask if you want to sell the newer one in case you don't need it any more. If you would know a shop where I can get it would be also highly appreciated. I so far found "ActiveSport" but they do not have it in stock and also say they will not get it.
So an offer for yours or a hint where I could get it would be great.
Thanks
Stefan

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Hi there, greetings from Germany,

I just found your post because I ran into a similar issue. For me it is just the other way round. I have tho older part and need the new one with 37.7 mm. This is because I needed new parts and did not find any for the 2015 modell. So I bought the newer standpipes (hope that's the correct word) and now the older spring plate is too small and therefore is loose. I am deperatlely looking for the newer plate but it is nowhere available.
So I wanted to ask if you want to sell the newer one in case you don't need it any more. If you would know a shop where I can get it would be also highly appreciated. I so far found "ActiveSport" but they do not have it in stock and also say they will not get it.
So an offer for yours or a hint where I could get it would be great.
Thanks
Stefan
I definitely have mine somewhere, If I find it and you still have no luck finding locally it's yours for cost of postage!
normally for hard to find parts I got onto Flotech suspension up in scotland who had everything you could think of. They've shut down now sadly.
Fox have their eu service center based in Germany so might be worth giving them a call directly, my experience is a lot of service centers have loads of spares and can get them but never list it on their online stores.
1607899542544.png

Pretty sure you'll need a new non-spiral retaining ring as well if it didn't come with the stanchions

Dec 13, 2020
I definitely have mine somewhere, If I find it and you still have no luck finding locally it's yours for cost of postage!
normally for hard to find parts I got onto Flotech suspension up in scotland who had everything you could think of. They've shut down now sadly.
Fox have their eu service center based in Germany so might be worth giving them a call directly, my experience is a lot of service centers have loads of spares and can get them but never list it on their online stores.
View attachment 153589

Pretty sure you'll need a new non-spiral retaining ring as well if it didn't come with the stanchions
Hi,

I contacted Fox already and they don't have any in stock also no used ones :-(.

The stanchions I ordered at Fox and they should arrive today :-)

So still there is the plate missing. If you would send it to me that would very nice. There is no problem to pay for it.
I can send you the money for postage and if you want also for the part right away with Paypal.
Please send me a Private Message (I hope that's possible here in the forum) with your Paypal account then I also can reply to you with my Address here in Germany.

Thank you very much :-)

Greetings from Stuttgart
Stefan

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Hi,

I contacted Fox already and they don't have any in stock also no used ones :-(.

The stanchions I ordered at Fox and they should arrive today :-)

So still there is the plate missing. If you would send it to me that would very nice. There is no problem to pay for it.
I can send you the money for postage and if you want also for the part right away with Paypal.
Please send me a Private Message (I hope that's possible here in the forum) with your Paypal account then I also can reply to you with my Address here in Germany.

Thank you very much :-)

Greetings from Stuttgart
Stefan
No worries dude pm sent

Sucks fox don't have it. Covid has wrecked parts supply so I guess making old spares is not priority nowadays.

I'll measure mine up as best I can as well for any lathe kings on here.