Quantcast

FOX 40 DH fork,is that fully US made?

9point5MY

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
Hey guys!I am a weekender Dh rider....
I have questions for the FOX 40 DH fork.
1) Is this fork fully made in USA?
2) How come there are few small parts inside the fork made in Taiwan?
3) I found a Taiwanese fork manufacturer,the lower tube look the same with this fork.
4) Is this fork better than others?Marzocchi or Manitou?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
9point5MY said:
4) Is this fork better than others?Marzocchi or Manitou?
when you get to parts that are the quality of the fox 40 or a 888 or a travis, it comes down to personal opinion. thats why theres more than one fork on the market. no one high end fork is neccisarily "better" but different forks suit different people better

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Really, who cares?
Does it help if it's an American company that runs the sweat shop?

It's better than anything you've ridden.....way better!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i also was a link to the pics of a manutature that cast most everyone lowers. including marzocchi's manitou's rockshox's and even fox's. the thing is casting magisium is not easy and there are few places that can do it right. trust me when i say no fork company has the money to own the equipment. also its just way cheaper to out source things like that

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Sir_Crackien said:
i also was a link to the pics of a manutature that cast most everyone lowers. including marzocchi's manitou's rockshox's and even fox's. the thing is casting magisium is not easy and there are few places that can do it right. trust me when i say no fork company has the money to own the equipment. also its just way cheaper to out source things like that
are you talking about suntour? because i know they do marz's lowers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
lovebunny said:
when you get to parts that are the quality of the fox 40 or a 888 or a travis
This is a good point. I haven't opened a Travis yet, but generally the parts quality of manitou is far below Fox and Marzocchi. Both of the latter companies are known for making percision metal parts in their forks and dampers. I've seen plastic manitou parts jam together more than once, and they simply aren't built to last years like the Marzocchi's and Fox forks. I haven't opened up a real high end RS lately either (just some older psylos and newer low-end stuff like pilot's and dukes). RS is usually about the same as manitou as far as the small-parts quality and machining.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Actually I think the oil is from Texas and George Bush licenses the stuff to Fox exclusively. Which of course is why its so expensive, being American made and all.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
one of my riding buddys just got a travis and he says its the best fork hes ever ridden. even above his 888 and shiver
i know this guy, from a friend of a friend. everything he says just has to correct. i believe him all the way.........:bonk:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Our voice nowdays has little power. You can however vote with your money,if the guy doesn't want to send money to Taiwan or China for his own personal reasons (eg because they like eating endangered animals)then good for him.
The quality of machining in taiwan exceeds the quality of American machining because of a higher industry turnover, but the company has to be prepared to pay for the higher quality. Taiwan has the biggest amount of hi tech machines running at cheaper rate than the U.S. Taiwan also offers very low quality cheap.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The manufacturing quality of the big 3 (rs/marz/fox) are adequately high. Fox and RS are made in taiwan, Marzocchi's highend stuff is made in italy.

All 3 have their issues, and most are related to design rather than manufacturing. Fox's cheesy loctited axle and larger bushing tolerances causing damper rod wear... Marzocchi's non-anodized cartridges contaminating oil... Rockshox's leaky gate knob due to tolerancing...

Manitou are pretty good too from what i've seen, their sealed dampers in swingers and dorados seem quite well made. Again any issues would be in the design phase. Leaky 6way adjusters = incorrect o-ring size or bad seat design. Broken travel adjusters = horrid design, and perhaps poor materials specification.