Quantcast

Fox 40 Difference between years

CombatSanta

Chimp
May 28, 2007
JamRock
Howdy folks!

Im on my way of buying a used fox 40, have not decided wich year yet.

But i was wondering what the major difference is between the models, what year where there major upgrades to the fork itself.

I believe that i read that 2008 had some new dampening system or some **** like that.

Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this matter for me.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
if i recall correctly, fox made large improvements to the damper for the '09 year to quiet people's complaints that the fork was under-damped and that the adjusters were not entirely useful.

before that, i have no idea... '09 started with the Direct mount upper crown as well. i dont know if there were any tweaks for '10, although i'd like to because the 09 i bought supposedly is shipping as a '10.

CombatSanta

Chimp
May 28, 2007
JamRock
Okay, i see.

Thing is that i have ssen a few ads where the seller says that the fork has the new 2008 system whatever that means.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasn't the damping tune for 08 and 09 is internaly the same as 08?

BTW. Wellcome combat santa. Nice to see you outside of EB ;)

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Just got off the phone with Fox. Here's the deal with the 40rc2

launch-'06: no changes
'07: tweaked damping in the cartridge, changed hydraulic bottom out setting to "high" from "med"
'08: no changes
'09: tweaked damper again, added direct mount upper crown
'10: no changes

:)

no more nonsense floating around.

CombatSanta

Chimp
May 28, 2007
JamRock
Wasn't the damping tune for 08 and 09 is internaly the same as 08?

BTW. Wellcome combat santa. Nice to see you outside of EB ;)
Yeah thats how i figured, regarding 08 and 09.

Must be another santa you are thinking about, cause i have heard thet the one you are thinking about is a douche. :banana:

CombatSanta

Chimp
May 28, 2007
JamRock

'07: tweaked damping in the cartridge, changed hydraulic bottom out setting to "high" from "med"

Awsome, thanks for the information.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

slightly more lsc than 05-06, better transition from lsc to hsc.

you sure? as far as i know there was a big jump in the hydraulic bottom out this year, put in new wiper on it with a tighter fit.

big difference this year, best 40 imo. new bladder that doesn't blow up like previous years. quite a big bump up on compression damping. lower crown is new too.

basically try and get as new a 40 as you can. that being said, you can always get a new damper for them, or get it worked on since fox has its pro tune program. you cant put an 09 damper into pre 09 forks tho, the damper is 15mm shorter. well i say cant, it can be done, just depends how friendly your local fox service centre is.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
launch-06': Stronger arch
06'-08': shim and bottomout position changes that can all be done on the older cartridges with some tools, oil and shims.
09': Shorter damper rod and stantions, direct mount crown, different bladder design, much heavier valving.
10': Same valving as the WC limited model in the normal one.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I rode a friends '06 40RC2 on my Session and found that I had to back all the compression settings off completely and run the lightest spring to get it comfortable and to use all the travel. I ran the rebound in just a bit to keep it from bucking me.
Is the '09/'10 going to have too much damping for a Sport/Expert class rider in the 150lb range now that the valving has been increased?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I rode a friends '06 40RC2 on my Session and found that I had to back all the compression settings off completely and run the lightest spring to get it comfortable and to use all the travel. I ran the rebound in just a bit to keep it from bucking me.
Is the '09/'10 going to have too much damping for a Sport/Expert class rider in the 150lb range now that the valving has been increased?
At 150lb, you'd want to run the extra soft spring. Your going to need to be bloody fast to use all the travel. I'm over 220lb, so manufacturers never valve too heavy for me.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^ i am 140lbs and use the soft purple spring, the extra soft black spring is way too soft! end up getting close to 40% sag.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
^ i am 140lbs and use the soft purple spring, the extra soft black spring is way too soft! end up getting close to 40% sag.
I'm going to go ahead and say that body positioning on the bike as well as head angle and weight bias is going to have a very large effect on the sag and travel usage.

I didn't have a purple spring. I remember there being Green, Yellow and maybe blue? Whatever the softest was of those I had in there. The fork actually felt good initially maybe 25% of the travel. After that I just wasn't using much travel at all. I'm really tempted to try a 40 on my new bike.
Are the Extra light springs available in Ti?