Quantcast

Fox 40 + Enduro seals

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
After years of riding only Zokes, I finally switched to Fox. My main complaint so far is Fox' lack of an actual sealing system for the lowers. After searching posts, I found that Enduro Seals seem to be the only way to achieve a satisfactory (not constantly weeping) level of sealing on the 40s. Most people seem to be put off by the added stiction of these seals prior to (or even after?) break-in, however.

Could this be fixed by waxing the stanchions, adding teflon to the lubricating oil in the lowers, and putting Slick Honey between the oil and wiper seals in the fork (and oiling the foam ring)?

Are the Enduros that difficult to install, or should I assume that some people were installing the foam ring and oil seal out of order, making the process impossible?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Why is it a real problem that your fork weeps?

I have found that most of the time I can solve oil rings on my stanchions by simply popping off that seal spring, dabbling some teflon lube on my stanchions while cycling the fork, insert business card into dust seal to remove grime and replace the seal-spring.

I have ridden 40's for the past two seasons and have done this every 4 or 5 rides, and changed the oil about every 10 rides, and have had no issues whatsoever with seals. I only replaced the seals on my first 40 after about a year and a half as preventative maintenance because I was selling my bike to a friend of a friend.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I switched to the Enduro seals at the beginning of last season and noticed no difference in "stiction"
They lasted all year too. Granted, it was a slow year, but there was still 20+ days of hard DH riding.
Considering they really aren't any more money than stock seals, I don't see any reason to not at least try them. I know I was only getting 4 days out of stock seals before I switched.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I switched to the Enduro seals at the beginning of last season and noticed no difference in "stiction"
They lasted all year too. Granted, it was a slow year, but there was still 20+ days of hard DH riding.
Considering they really aren't any more money than stock seals, I don't see any reason to not at least try them. I know I was only getting 4 days out of stock seals before I switched.
What he said.

Yes, waxing the stantions makes a world of difference, you felt my fork didnt you? Also reference some of my stuff I have posted about tricks to keep forks working slickity smooth. Easy cheap way to get teflon is to seperate a bottle of teflon engine oil additive.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Why is it a real problem that your fork weeps?
Call me crazy, maybe I've been too spoiled after all these years on Marzocchi forks with oil seals AND dust wiper seals to keep dirt out of the fork. To me, if lubrication oil is coming out of the lowers, dirt is also getting in; either as dirt or as oil-mixed mud. With how much this damn fork cost, I'd like to ensure that it functions well for as long as possible.

Yes, waxing the stantions makes a world of difference, you felt my fork didnt you? Also reference some of my stuff I have posted about tricks to keep forks working slickity smooth. Easy cheap way to get teflon is to seperate a bottle of teflon engine oil additive.
Thanks DirtyMike. I never tried out your fork, but I found out about those tricks from your informative posts. :thumb:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I'd like to ensure that it functions well for as long as possible.

Thanks DirtyMike. I never tried out your fork, but I found out about those tricks from your informative posts. :thumb:
You have a FOX 40 now, not a Zoke anymore, meaning it will require FAR more maintenance in order to perform at its best.The benefits are ( IMO ) a better/lighter suspension @ the front of your bike.

Kinda like a TANK vs a F-1 car...one would require more maintenance than the other.I service mine every 2-3 days at the park or once a month during the winter... Ive had 5 different 40's now ,they usually dont leak and if it starts leaking I would replace the seals right away...