Quantcast

Fox 40 Fit4 LSC vs RC2 Damper differences

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys,

I got a 2017 fox 40 fit4 performance elite coil with my sender, I'm happy with the coil once again, I was wondering what difference there is in the damper? Can I upgrade it with few parts? Is it basically the same exact damper with only the HSC being adjusted internally?
Thanks

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No, it's a different damper entirely.
I'd just ride it if you're happy with it, it's decent enough.

The RC2 is an excellent damper but it's not just a few parts changed.
You'd have to buy the whole cart and it's expensive. I'd go for "ride now, upgrade later".

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
No, it's a different damper entirely.
I'd just ride it if you're happy with it, it's decent enough.

The RC2 is an excellent damper but it's not just a few parts changed.
You'd have to buy the whole cart and it's expensive. I'd go for "ride now, upgrade later".
Well yeah if I have to change everything I would probably wait until next year for a kashima + damper combo, I saw the price of the entire damper and damn!! Wouldn't be better a ohlins cartridge tho? Price is not too far

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Wouldn't be better a ohlins cartridge tho? Price is not too far
I'd go with no, I've heard not-great things about the valving choices in Ohlins fork dampers, and in my experience this is a pretty common theme with boutique parts in MTB - usually something is taken to some extreme (usually way too much or way too little damping in a particular shaft speed range, occasionally both - thanks BOS) and the whole thing sucks as a result.

The RC2 damper on the other hand is proven, and works brilliantly in my experience.
Many of the world's fastest riders use this damper, with only very minor valving changes.

I know some WC riders sponsored at lower levels who have ditched their free sponsor-provided suspension so they can run the 40RC2 (self-purchased) because apparently there's seconds in it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well yeah if I have to change everything I would probably wait until next year for a kashima + damper combo, I saw the price of the entire damper and damn!! Wouldn't be better a ohlins cartridge tho? Price is not too far
I'll just interject that kashima isn't worth changing your stanchions for (and I own a lot of the stuff).

The RC2 damper is terrific though. Maybe ride your current one until it needs a service and then just buy the upgraded damper cartridge then, instead of rebuilding the stock one?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'll just interject that kashima isn't worth changing your stanchions for (and I own a lot of the stuff).

The RC2 damper is terrific though. Maybe ride your current one until it needs a service and then just buy the upgraded damper cartridge then, instead of rebuilding the stock one?
Do you mean it's not worth for the money or you can't notice any difference? I understand it's used as a marketing tool but stanchions treatment is not Sci-Fi, lower friction is always welcome.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I'm with @HAB, it doesn't make much difference, and I too own plenty of the stuff.

Upgrade just the damper at some stage if you like, and save the surplus money for lift tickets or something.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do you mean it's not worth for the money or you can't notice any difference? I understand it's used as a marketing tool but stanchions treatment is not Sci-Fi, lower friction is always welcome.
I haven't A/B tested two otherwise identical forks (or shocks, or seatposts) back to back, but it definitely doesn't make a big difference. I'd be surprised if I could notice one.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
You could also send the FIT4 damper to Vorsprung, they will install their new compression piston and valving... or if you are competent or you have a reliable suspension shop nearby you can do the mod yourself and just order the piston and valving from them.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The nice thing about the RC2 cartridge is you can get Push to mess with it if you feel you need some custom work done. There's also the Avalanche cartridge for the Fox 40.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
interesting but looking at that small port piston looks like it's for 36-34, the 40 have a dramatically different piston.
Taken from the posted link:

Fractive Compatible Forks:
  • 32 Factory Series Fit4 forks, from 2016-18
  • 34 Factory Series Fit4 forks, from 2016-18
  • 36 Factory Series Fit4 forks, from 2016-18
  • 40 Performance Series Elite forks, from 2016-18

Any spring system in any of the above forks (Talas, Float or the 40 VAN) works fine as the spring system is in the left leg, this part is going in the right leg.

Knowing the quality of @Steve M and Vorsprung's work, I'd definitely consider this upgrade.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Kashima tubes are $300 for a pair, RC2 damper is $305. I'd say scrap getting the tubes and just get the damper.

Notice anything funny about the 40 below?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Kashima tubes are $300 for a pair, RC2 damper is $305. I'd say scrap getting the tubes and just get the damper.

Notice anything funny about the 40 below?

Damper i 400 euros here in EU.....but as said I'll probably wait for this RAD damper, I wouldn't be able to sell mine so I'll smash it a little bit.