Quantcast

Fox 40 float or coil

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I need a new fork for the Zerode. Fox 40 coil or Float? Does anyone have time on both? I want plush and no maintenance.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Dorado was my 3rd choice, but the 888 evo ti looks so good too. Damn, there are so many nice forks these days.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Float refers to the air spring. Fit refers to the damper.

In which case you only have one choice for 2014...a 40 Float with the Fit RC2 damper.

Air or coil? I'm debating that as well. Unfortunately, the 2014 coil only comes with rebound adjust. :banghead:

Or maybe one of these. :spam:

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Wait a few months and take the new Zocchi :brows:
If you want no maintenance go open bath: Marzocchi, BOS, Dorado(?)

All great forks.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Check the Dorado thread, reports of bushing wear and play in ~5 months.

I think if you insist on no maintenance the 40 is not the fork for you either, get an 888.

I don't think it's the best performing fork, but it will best deal with not being maintained/serviced.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I've been on a Boxxer Team for 3 years and love it. It was tuned by Go-ride and has been super plush ever since. I've never had a problem with it.

Maybe an EVO-ti would be a good fork for me. I hate maintenance.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
My Dorado has been nothing but exemplary. Just do not store it upside down or on a wall by the front wheel as this kills the seals. Says so in the owners manual but I had to learn the hard way still as I never read that prior. I have since stored it by the rear wheel and seals stay nice and moist and living a long life still.

I know, I hate it when threads suggest product you weren't asking about but I would stay away from Fox if maintenance is a concern. I am also interested in the xfusion offering when it is released, their Vengeance is a phenomenal fork.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Really? Mine's going on 2 years and is rock solid.
Yeah seems weird. Although the one I have now had less than 40 Hours total on it..... but we beat the snot out of the first few demo bikes we built and no issues for almost 3 years on one. WITH NO SERVICE.....don't do this if you can avoid it but the seals finally started weeping and she was sent in. Got it back in 7 days.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I don't think we can be shocked that someone had issues with fill-in-the-blank fork. They all have issues and the internet disproportionately highlights them. Truth is basically all the forks are good to great, you just have to pick what's most important to you.

FWIW, I really liked my 888 evo but was between spring rates (at least without doing some tuning of the shim stack or oil height magic). That said, it was trouble free, super plush and for the right person would be great. I wish marz had a little better customer support. I couldn't even buy the spring I wanted, had to borrow it from a friend to find out it was wrong. Hopefully with the new 380 there will be a real manual and small parts support.

In the end I scratched the 888 stanctions up so badly it wasn't worth fixing. Dorado en route. With the pricepoint sale and additional discount codes I could not have gotten a used fork for the same money. We'll see how it goes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't think we can be shocked that someone had issues with fill-in-the-blank fork. They all have issues and the internet disproportionately highlights them. Truth is basically all the forks are good to great, you just have to pick what's most important to you..
This. A million times over. But Ridemonkey doesn't seem to get that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I need a new fork for the Zerode. Fox 40 coil or Float? Does anyone have time on both? I want plush and no maintenance.
it's whatever fork you put an avalanche cart in.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Certainly. Udi seemed to be implying it was a regular occurrence, which was news to me.
If people are actually getting years out of them without servicing then I stand corrected - may have just been a one off / bad batch?

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Had boxxers (coil, air), dorado pro, 40s (08, 12) and now 888 evo v2 (12), here's my 'subjective' e-reviews :

note : my LSC + HSC front and back are always as minimal as possible (just to prevent brake dive) and rebound as fast as possible (without extra buck). For maintenance i change oil but never open cartridge / tune shim stack. Too lazy. Also I only ride half as fast as you guys..

boxxer
+ light, good price, got friend in SRAM service so spares are plenty
- never really smooth and plush, LSC choose between dive or arm pump.

dorado
+ smooth, nice bottom up progression out of the box (and super cool gun case)
- sometimes dives, even when LSC higher than my liking.
* loving the flex, no problem for me.

+ my 2008 seals was not good (changed twice), but the 2012 are miles better. Damping is more consistent as well.
- price, coil spring binding and always noisy (the insulator keep going down), 3 months use and already feels 'different'
* never own 2014 float only 'hotel park bounce test' with sikmik's RAD (hutchinson polygon) last febuary and it IS light and high quality.

+ my evo v2 is plush as natural 34B breast (smoother than dorado) from 1st ride til now (10 month use) without any service, good price, good dive support when braking (strange for fork this smooth)
- build quality and finishing can be better (stickers not straight, ti bolts not centered)

Anyway, all good forks.. the 888 (or the coming 380) is my recommendation.. its not super light (my v2 black stanchion with ti spring = 3120gr) but I cant detect that when riding... feels just light and friendly to my hands. Marzocchi is so good that I changed my 2012 float 36 in my AM bike into an low end 55CR... and buttery happy (for now).

I wish for cnc'ed BLACK stanchion though... not nickel or gold one... but black! C'mon marz... please make it!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wish marz had a little better customer support. I couldn't even buy the spring I wanted, had to borrow it from a friend to find out it was wrong.
ive had nothing but good CS from them. i just spoke to them yesterday and ordered two springs and got some tech help all within in 20mins

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ Good to hear. Like I said, I think it's a fantastic fork and I'm a long time Marz fan. May be a stupid/obvious question, but what number did you call and who did you speak to?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
cant believe no one has mentioned the 'killer pricing' on the 'old' 2013 coil 40s over on go-ride.

check it out if youre after a coil 40. id much rather have that with all the adjustments, then get a 2014 coil 40 (it would probably cost more too)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If people are actually getting years out of them without servicing then I stand corrected - may have just been a one off / bad batch?
It's been serviced, but it's been ridden a ton and is still on the original bushings.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
it's whatever fork you put an avalanche cart in.
I owned one and I was not very impressed with it.

Super limited range for the damping (pogo stick rebound and only a mildly effective LSC). When I went to put MOAR SHIMZ in it, it needed some ridiculous proprietary tool from avalanche to get the sealhead off, which shouldn't be necessary at all. In fact, it was harder for them to make it this way by doing a z-axis mill operation on a lathe. Since you have to do at least one x or z cut anyway to make wrench flats or normal spanner holes, it was definitely deliberate.

Also, their bottoming system relies on some VERY tight concentricity from the stanchion ID to the footnut hole in the cast lowers, which is a poor assumption to make. The result was some bad grinding and interference of the bottom out system, which couldn't be set correctly (even tightening everything up while bottomed out).

Additionally, I guarantee their bottoming sleeve that covers the base valve ports is choking flow at super high speeds.

And no knobs? C'mon...they don't even have to be pretty, but whipping out the perfectly sized flathead to get in the compression adjuster cavity is a pain.

I've been down the Avalanche road a few times now with various products, and never thought they were particularly well done. Usually a LOT of functional shortcomings, with the added delight of having to deal with Mr. "Masters Degree and 30 years experience of doing **** wrong" Seekins. Perhaps if he ever listened to feedback and suggestions his products wouldn't be 10 years behind.

Nice machining, but really poor engineering kills it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that's all? I've been clicking this thread every 10 minutes hoping for some fireworks and so far only other rubberneckers like me.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
As a fellow rubbernecker - look what you've done now, the post is on the previous page. Someone should at least quote it, maybe write "qft" to stir the pot a bit.

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Also lookin like mid September for the 40 float from fox, unless you have a shop with them already in stock. But if you're not in a hurry then it doesn't matter

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
well, if your not attached to the hip with your LBS, you can always get em online.

crazy to think that they've already moved their first batch in brick and mortar stores.. but it makes sense, they dropped before the 13 marz forks, x fusion fork, AND the DVO fork..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really like my 888 cr. sounds like they improved it further in 2014. Lighter, more control. This thing is awesome compared to the boxers I owned. No problems just letting off the brakes and letting it rip. adjustments do stuff too, which is a neat feature compared to the boxers I owned. I got a little time on an Avy boxer and it was plush and controlled but the boxer is just such a terrible chassis that the small bump is still inferior...then there's swapping all that oil all the time because the seals are garbage too...

Avalanche products never really appealed to me....

did anyone catch the MSRP of $2350 for the DVO. i say...goddamn! I need alittle time to wrap my brain around that price and justification. Not too say it can't be done, as I thought the same thing about shelling out $800 for ONE enve rim. But, i now have Enve wheels. i just need to give it time.