Quantcast

Fox 40 help

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Last weekend my fork started to make a random metal hitting metal noise as if something was loose. I checked the bike to make sure it wasnt the headset or anything else and its definately coming from the fork... That noise sounds mostly when you hit the wheel sideways on the ground or if you squeeze the front brake and push sort of forward/downward.
What could this noise be? The fork is working just fine. I was thinking maybe the spring is hitting the walls but then why does it not always sound? Also the left seal seems to be releasing more oil than it should be.
I don't have a big enough wrench to open it up and take a look.
Could the crush washers cause this?

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sometimes its easy to mis place a sound like you are describing. It sounds like a loose headset or loose brake caliper/adapter. I know you checked the headset, so maybe it might be the brake? Could also be the pads shifting inside the caliper? Or worst case, ovalized headtube or (back to the fork) worn bushings in the fork. Good luck and lets us know what fixes it.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Its coming from the fork I checked the bike everywhere.
well last summer the dude who I bought this fork from had it rebuild by fox in whistler. So I dont think it could be the bushings.
I guess I really have to take it appart to really see what could be causing it. I just dont have the tool... And since im i PR I dont have any bike shop friends that will do it for free like I did in NC......

The noise is kinda like a popping noise when you push down. Doesnt happen always. Also it seems so start afer you ride it for a while.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
bushings will only need replacing every couple years unless you ride in sand all the time. bushings hardly ever wear out.

dust wipers are the only seal you can see, they are the ones inbetween your lowers and stanchion tubes. these can wear pretty quickly if you have alot of mud or tube knicks that rip the wipers and cause leakage.

when you replace these you can fix your spring rattle in the left side of your fork. put the shrink wrap back in the middle of the spring and put a small zip tie on it and use heavy grease with a putty knife on the spring. no more rattle.

I would advise getting to far into the fork, otherwise it will be pretty expensive to have a shop or a service center put it back in working order. you can get help from the fox website.