Quantcast

Fox 40 preload knob issue

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The preload adjuster on my 2010 40 Rc2 keeps keeps self adjusting while riding. One run equals 2 or 3 turns of the adjuster. The adjuster is not loose. It seems to have just the right resistance when turning it, yet it keeps turning on its own. I don't run much preload anyways.........anout 7 or 8 clicks,but its a bit of a pain on a brand new fork.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Thats a new one... I would first pull the topcap and make sure that the spring is set correctly, there is a small lip that the spring presses into this could have something to do with it especially if you changed your spring at all.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
hmmmm. I had some spring rattle issues and after several attempts a got the spring set in the seat proper........felt it pop in. Then like magic the rattle was gone. So I know that is not the issue.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
funny you mention that...my 10 40's rattle, what is it and how do I get rid of it? seems to go when I turn up the preload but I dont want to run that much preload

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
funny you mention that...my 10 40's rattle, what is it and how do I get rid of it? seems to go when I turn up the preload but I dont want to run that much preload
The less preload you run the more the spring is gonna be dancing around in your stanchion. This happens to my forty also. It can also be that the shrink wrap on your spring that moved down making the spring hit the inside of the stanchion causing the rattle. To prevent it from moving down you are gonna have to add a few more clicks to your preload.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Like I said there is actuall a spring seat that the spring sits in. It takes some messing with but you can get it snapped in. I had changed my spring, and after had the rattle issues untill I seated the spring proper.

The self adjusting preload adjuster is confusing though.