Quantcast

fox 40 rebuild/maitence ..to diy or send ot away???

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
I was told today that the fork should be rebuilt by fox and fox only .(they change bushings etc... vs just oil ) and I was also told that the legs need to be removed periodcally and the seasl wiped clean. What thuth is there to this?

I also read the diy thread and it seems simple enough minus 1 or 2 mishaps..
What shoulds I do?
(Minus sell it and get a boxxer lol)

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm interested to know what difference adding 10 wt oil into the open bath instead of 7 wt like they manual recommends will make. Along the same lines, the 2007 calls for 40ml of fluid and the 2009 calls for 50ml. Will adding 50ml into a 2007 make any difference?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I'm interested to know what difference adding 10 wt oil into the open bath instead of 7 wt like they manual recommends will make. Along the same lines, the 2007 calls for 40ml of fluid and the 2009 calls for 50ml. Will adding 50ml into a 2007 make any difference?
no noticeable difference.

p.s. it's a 'semi'-bath

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
unless your bushings are screwed and you have loads of play, there is no need to replace them. changing the lubrication oil is a dead easy. even taking the lowers off to clean them up is too. definitely take the lowers off to clean the seals, otherwise you putting in fresh oil that is going to be contaminated straight away.

search the dirt web site, they have a good video from mojo of them servicing a 40.

i have been putting 50ml in my 05 40s for ages, not a problem. you can put more if you want, but no real point.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
thanks for the links .. but when you say service do you mean seal inspection like in the 1st video?
or do you work on the fork beyond that ?
I take the fork completely apart, then clean everything and change the oil and the seals. The rebound damper is also really easy to service (when needed) if you follow the directions on the fox help site.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i'll leave the damper alone unless you have the proper clamps. the tubes are very thin and are easily damaged.