Quantcast

Fox 40 Service

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Sorry for re-posting one of the most overdone topics ever, but I'm trying to replace the seals on my 40 and running into a bit of a problem. I can't get the nut off the bottom of the spring side...when I turn it, it also spins the shaft that it's on. I've tried it both with and without the spring/spacers/top cap installed. The nut is also a little beat up from use so that's probably not helping. Had no issues with the damper side. Any suggestions?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
1. Install spring/spacers/top cap.
2. Flip fork over, put steerer tube on ground.
3. Compress fork by putting a hand on the arch and pressing down.
4. ????
5. Profit.

And by that I mean do steps 1-3, and then just take the thing off. While you're still compressing the fork.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
One easy but slightly scary solution is to cut a slot in the shaft with a hack saw. Use a sharp saw, and be careful. You only need enough of a slot for a small screwdriver. Make sure you have a box wrench for the nut. Don't get lazy and use a crescent.

Another option if you have the means, would be an impact wrench. Though, in the wrong hands, could be just as bad as a hacksaw.

I know I had to cut the slot the first time I tore my fork down. Every other time, the nut spins right off. I think I've had that fork apart 20+ times.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
One easy but slightly scary solution is to cut a slot in the shaft with a hack saw. Use a sharp saw, and be careful. You only need enough of a slot for a small screwdriver. Make sure you have a box wrench for the nut. Don't get lazy and use a crescent.

Another option if you have the means, would be an impact wrench. Though, in the wrong hands, could be just as bad as a hacksaw.

I know I had to cut the slot the first time I tore my fork down. Every other time, the nut spins right off. I think I've had that fork apart 20+ times.
I would NOT go near the plunger shaft with an impact wrench...but since you are posting this thread...chances are you don't have access to one anyway...and thats a good thing...the hacksaw technique sounds interesting...but...if you've had the 40 for a long time and the end of the plunger shaft has been well hammered and the nut is also thrashed...you may need a new plunger shaft...try the hack saw thing...and if the threads are too screwed up to get the nut off, you will most likely just have to drill into the end of the saft to get the nut off and buy a new shaft from Fox for about $35.00 I had to do this last year after the 4th season on that fork...

I REALLY wish Fox would design some type of cap for that nut...NOT having something to protect that nut/shaft end on a DH fork is completely retarded...tech support at Fox told me "it hasn't really been an issue.."??? yeah right...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had to deal with this on my 36 before.

With the compression cart out and the fork in a stand, push down hard on the arch, extending the fork. The friction between the crush washer and the bottom of the lowers will get to be enough that you can get some traction with your box wrench.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Finally went the hacksaw route and got the thing off...is it possible to order the plunger shaft/nut from Fox or do I need to coerce a local shop into doing it?

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
The shaft nut and crush washer are all available from Fox...cheap...just call them...get a few spares while you're at it...the shaft ain't cheap...I think it's about $35 or $40...unlike the folks at SRAM or ROCKSHOX, Fox will deal directly with the public...be glad you don't have a Boxxer...