Quantcast

Fox 40 spring worn out???

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
This is my 4th season on a used, 2006 Fox 40. I've kept it well maintained, but have never replaced the spring. It feels like it is getting worn out...??? Too soft??? Is this most likely what is wrong??? It is the stiffest of the 3 springs that came with it...but just seems like it is wearing out...the valve works fine....the fork doesn't bottom out...but feels too "squishy" and not as firm as it once was...is spring replacement most likely the cause???

TIA for any info...

marko

Chimp
Apr 5, 2010
i broke mine titanium too; now on a still spring but kinda miss that supersmooth feeling of a titanium spring, will probably get it back when i get the money.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Super Smooth feeling of a titanium spring? Yo, they dont feel any different to steel, infact, from what i understand steel technically "peforms" better. Placebo or what.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Are the Ti springs polished? They'd have a lot less friction against the inside of the stanchions that way. That's about the only way they'd be smoother since I know the regular 40 springs are painted.

marko

Chimp
Apr 5, 2010
titanium works defenetly smoother in the first part of the travel and is even more progressive. you have to try both, then u can only notice how they both perform.
I wasn't sure until my mate told me, that when he went back on titanium again, it worked more smoothly. maybe it has something to do with titanium being more progressive, so you can set it up to sag more, i dunno.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Progressiveness has to do with how the coil is wound. Chances are it was a lower springrate with a slightly progressive wind to it.

The first part of the travel on a fork very rarely has to do with the coil anyway, as long as the coil itself isn't dragging on the stanchions. That's all in the chassis smoothness.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
titanium works defenetly smoother in the first part of the travel and is even more progressive. you have to try both, then u can only notice how they both perform.
I wasn't sure until my mate told me, that when he went back on titanium again, it worked more smoothly. maybe it has something to do with titanium being more progressive, so you can set it up to sag more, i dunno.

haha what an earth