Quantcast

Fox 40 vs. 36 Damping

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I have a '09 Fox 40 on my Session 88, and a Lyric Solo Air with Mission Control on my Remedy. The damping on my 40 is so much better than the Lyric that I am thinking about getting a Van 36, so my question is: Is the damper on the 36 the same as the 40? Can I expect a similar level of performance from the 36 in a smaller package? I don't want to spend money and have a heavier bike if there isn't going to be a big increase in performance.

Also, I was thinking of modifying the Mission Control damper by stiffening the shim stack for more LSC and getting rid of the MoCo feature to allow more oil flow on faster hits. Is it worth doing this or am I polishing a turd?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I posted this in the other thread where you asked, but since this is more on topic, I will repeat some. The new rebound assembly pushes MUCH more oil as well as having a much larger piston and rebound port area. I just installed this and have removed the floodgate assembly. So far, it feels much better...controled with more fluid LSC (without having to resort to the on/off feel of the gate..which was the only real way to get any LSC prior to the new rebound assembly).

You can also do a bit of playing with the comression shim stack, as well as the piston height on the shaft that sets the HSC spring preload. I have thought about even removing the HSC preload assembly, and shimming the piston accordingly.

Lastly, there is the DH compression assembly. I have not seen it in hand, so I dont know the exact differences, and based on pics, the 'old' MoCo with the gate, has changed a bit over the years as well, so the differences will vary depending on the exact unit in your fork. I would highly doubt anything more than piston port area (which already changed sometime in the past) and shim stack has changed....When they are more easy to find, I plan on adding this to the new rebound parts (essentilly bringing my late 07 up to 2010 specs.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Thanks!

The new Lyric dh damper sounds like it's a big improvement, I'll have to give it a try.