Quantcast

Fox 40 VVC set up

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Hi! Anyone has experience setting these up?
My settings for 75 kg (with all gear):

75 psi 2.5tokens
8 lsc
6 hsc
7lsr
6hsr

Find them to work good but maybe they are a little underdamped vs previous versions?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yes.
Turn up the HSC its very very low even at max.
Better yet order a shim pack and put an extra face shim.

And I would also recommend trying less HSR.
Even all the way open. I've also gone from 4 to 3 shims on them with good results.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
I wil try, normally I like to run more lsc than hsc, I feel it eats better fast square edge hits. Do you run hsc fully closed? and how ldo you run lsc? are you running it with the airspring or coil?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I wil try, normally I like to run more lsc than hsc, I feel it eats better fast square edge hits. Do you run hsc fully closed? and how ldo you run lsc? are you running it with the airspring or coil?
Realistically that's not how it works. If you go so far as to have "tons" of LSC and "no" HSC you actually transfer a ton of energy with the stiff lsc before the suspension gets moving. Generally overly stiff LSC makes for a harsher ride like a lockout or platform.
People like to imagine firm but plush... no it's actually harsh but mush...

Now keep In mind that even with your hsc adjuster full on the hsc is a redicilously low fraction of the damping a grip 2 non vvc or rc2 can make.... as in not enough for fast riders

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Mine is:

-95psi (although I think I went up to 100 during the last couple bike park days)
-stock number of tokens (whatever that may be)
-HSR -2
-LSR -7
-HSC -5
-LSC -9

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
It comes with 2 tokens inside in stock form.

Apart from psi and hsr to compensate your settings seem similar to mine.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Mine are all from closed.

Honestly this is my first Fox 40, although not my first Fox fork. I found this one was probably the easiest to setup out of the box. Well, relatively easiest.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Realistically that's not how it works. If you go so far as to have "tons" of LSC and "no" HSC you actually transfer a ton of energy with the stiff lsc before the suspension gets moving. Generally overly stiff LSC makes for a harsher ride like a lockout or platform.
People like to imagine firm but plush... no it's actually harsh but mush...

Now keep In mind that even with your hsc adjuster full on the hsc is a redicilously low fraction of the damping a grip 2 non vvc or rc2 can make.... as in not enough for fast riders
Thanks for the answer, will try your sugestion, closing hsc a couple clicks more. MaybeI can lower air pressure to compensate, as im using more air pressure than suggested

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Interessting, previous dampers are similar in the open position but they generate a lot more when you start to close it. Its a bigger difference than I expected

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Wow!
Both GRIP2 dampers there look absolutely terrible.
Am I missing something?

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
Yup can confirm, my new bike came with a 38 Grip 2 Gen 2, and while I was impressed with the air spring and chassis being pretty darn stout/slippy, I could not get past the minimal amount of compression damping it had. It was noticeable especially when hitting rough stuff at speed. Swapped it out of for a mezzer and am much happier.

Also found myself running HSR really fast/open like englertracing mentioned.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have a Grip 2 VVC still new in the package that I was going to drop into my '22 36 chassis; although I'm thinking of just selling at this point. Trying to decide between grabbing a RC2 damper for it, or selling the 36 and grabbing a Mezzer. Was thinking of shelling out for a ERA but the price is up to $2100 now; I can't seem to talk myself into that. Ohlins is interesting but don't want the increased axle-to-crown.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It's really really not hard to put one moar shimz....
You need a chamferless socket and shaft clamp for the damper body.

To get the shims with the tiny 4mm ID you basically have to buy the shimstack which comes with a vvc plate and leafs.... its like 30$
As seen below with the part number

820-03-660-KIT.jpg

1 Moar Green Shimz
1 less red shimz

Bleeding is also super easy.
Overfill, cycle half way through the stroke a bunch of times, let it sit vertically for a while then fully compress it to purge.

Bing bang boom done.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
You can run a little less lsc for small bump compliance, but still have WAY MORE support.

Possibly run less air if you have too much to overcompensate for not enough damping in stock form

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Just tried it today, I lowered 2 psi and added 2 clicks of hsc. Way much support than before, had to take a click of lsc. cant imagine you guys running hsc fully closed to be honest, im not pro but not a slouch on a bike either, and fully closed would be freaking harsh haha.

Right now,
10 lsc
4 hsc
73 psi
75 kg fully geared to ride dh.

Considering opening a click hs rebound, and lowering half a psi or another psi.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You can run a little less lsc for small bump compliance, but still have WAY MORE support.

Possibly run less air if you have too much to overcompensate for not enough damping in stock form
Ahh ok. I'll wait until next time I have to get the damper serviced and I'll do it myself and add that shim. I looked at the Fox service page and it looks super easy.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Wow!
Both GRIP2 dampers there look absolutely terrible.
Am I missing something?

70% of people were riding RC2 and GRIP2 Gen 1 dampers full open so Fox just decided to make the VVC super soft.

It kinda sucks for people who do like more than just placebo levels of compression but for the vast majority of people it works fine.

RS set the trend with the Charger 2.1 RC2, it generates fck all compression damping.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
My theory is that the massive improvements in airspring design over the last 4 years really removed the compression damping requirements for those 70% of all people (myself included maybe).

70% of people were riding RC2 and GRIP2 Gen 1 dampers full open so Fox just decided to make the VVC super soft.

It kinda sucks for people who do like more than just placebo levels of compression but for the vast majority of people it works fine.

RS set the trend with the Charger 2.1 RC2, it generates fck all compression damping.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
My theory is that the massive improvements in airspring design over the last 4 years really removed the compression damping requirements for those 70% of all people (myself included maybe).
That could be the case but not only for amateurs, I know two fox pro riders that were on fox until this year(one top 10 and big team and the other a privateer) and both were on stock f40 and ran hsc fully open and lsc more open than im riding right now, but they were full of tokens and a air pressure really high.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I think that's backwards.
Air spring improvements are two things
1 Reduction in stiction
Reducing stiction actually allows more LSC to be used without increasing harshness.
2 More linear
Overly progressive air springs Might have a rider turning the compression down to use more travel this would be particularly true of the must use many volume spacer bros. So decreasing progression may lead to not feeling the need to "turn off the damping"

Conversely linearizing the spring also fills the midstroke droop so the no spacer dudes might not need to rely on as much damping.
So overall I think point 2 is a wash as it depends on other things.

Now something that reduces damping requirements (especially lsc) for sure is longer wheelbases.

Slacker head angles also impart some harshness that may lead to people backing out damping in the name of comfort.

My observations are that a RC2 works well in a 36 and 40
A grip 2 v1 is a bit harsh
A grip 2 v2 is certainly too soft for any serious action even with 160lb riders

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
That could be the case but not only for amateurs, I know two fox pro riders that were on fox until this year(one top 10 and big team and the other a privateer) and both were on stock f40 and ran hsc fully open and lsc more open than im riding right now, but they were full of tokens and a air pressure really high.
Odd.
I had a chat with one of the KHS pro riders (the ones riding sessions) I asked "does a fast gentlemen such as yourself run stock valving" he told me the fork had absolutely nothing for him as soon as he would get over a casual pace it would just blow through the stroke. So he's got it valved a bit stiffer than stock. I asked him if fox does that for him. He said fluid focus takes care of the KHS team.

I wonder if your friends were riding grip 2 version 1?

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
The rode both versions grip1 and vvc and always had hsc fully or almost fully open, I guess it has to do with so many tokens and air pressure, I dont like that kind of setup but for them it worked.

He sold one of his forks to a mutual friend , we serviced it and visually everything was stock, I didnt take out the shim stack but as far as he knows it was fully stock and that same fork did some top tens that same year.

Back on topic, I opened today another click of hsr as you suggested and liked it better, I even added another click of lsc. right now:

73 psi
2.5 tokens
4 hsc
9 lsc
7 lsr
7 hsr

How much air pressure are you running ?