Quantcast

Fox 40rc2 (2008) sticky, jamming.... Something.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Hey all... Just picked up a new used bike with a 2008 Fox 40rc2. It is in need of some love.... I have no experience with this fork, but here are the symptoms:

-Leaking wiper seal on the right leg.
-Fork feels fairly smooth when standing over the bike, pulling the front brake and compressing the fork, however when you get on the bike, stand up on the pedals and try and compress it, it essentially gets stuck a couple inches into its travel. Not like its jammed, but it feels ultra sticky. Seems like it has to do with the force being applied to the fork at an angle is causing this, as it doesnt behave this way when you are using the handlebars to compress it, rather than the pedals. It also feels like the rebound and compression is dialed up to 11, even with both backed all the way off.

Can anyone advise as to what parts need replacing based on the info given? Also, are those parts able to be replaced on this fork without a slew of specialized tools? Thanks in advance!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
When was it last serviced?
My guess is the damper bladder is toast, which is probably not available any more.

Have your shop order you a seal kit and the new inverted rc2 damper which drops right in. Vast improvement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When was it last serviced?
My guess is the damper bladder is toast, which is probably not available any more.

Have your shop order you a seal kit and the new inverted rc2 damper which drops right in. Vast improvement.
second the service. probably want to upgrade to the SKF seals for the lower dust wipers as well.

FWIW avalanche also makes a damper cartridge for the 40. my 40 is the same year yours and i put the avy cart in, and i have been very pleased with it.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
second the service. probably want to upgrade to the SKF seals for the lower dust wipers as well.

FWIW avalanche also makes a damper cartridge for the 40. my 40 is the same year yours and i put the avy cart in, and i have been very pleased with it.
Thanks for the info guys.... No idea when it was last serviced, literally just go the bike yesterday. Just called up a shop, cartridge is around $400.... Thats a yikes ammount! Is it going to be really obvious when i pull the old one and dig into it that it is shot? Also are there bushings inside the fork that are prone to being worn? Want to make sure ive got everything sorted before dropping a ton of chash into it.

Also, i noticed this morning that the right leg actually sits about an 1/8" higher in the crown than the left, any chance that is causing problems?

Thanks again

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bushings are probably fine but just need cleaned like the rest of the fork.

the cartridge is certainly self serviceable, but not terribly difficult. the rebuild instructions are here:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/40/40RC2.htm

you'll need to find the service kit tho, that isn't coming up in a quick google search. but the newer one that does show up, the Fit service kit, will not work with what you have. i'd recommend contacting fox. that kit should be under $50.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
bushings are probably fine but just need cleaned like the rest of the fork.

the cartridge is certainly self serviceable, but not terribly difficult. the rebuild instructions are here:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/40/40RC2.htm

you'll need to find the service kit tho, that isn't coming up in a quick google search. but the newer one that does show up, the Fit service kit, will not work with what you have. i'd recommend contacting fox. that kit should be under $50.
Called up Fox, they apparently can get the service kit for the damper. The tech suggested that I send the fork in for service as the lower bushings may be worn and require special tools to replace. Cost was said to be $175 at the top end (if the damper is blown) Which seems reasonable for a full work-over... I'm perfectly capable if doing the work, but I'm tempted to ship it off to them... I'm sure they have a much better idea of what to look for. Anyone had experience with factory service? Fast turnaround, quality work? Worth the price of admission? I did order the low friction seals, so id likely send those off with the fork as well. Thanks again for the responses.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Called up Fox, they apparently can get the service kit for the damper. The tech suggested that I send the fork in for service as the lower bushings may be worn and require special tools to replace. Cost was said to be $175 at the top end (if the damper is blown) Which seems reasonable for a full work-over... I'm perfectly capable if doing the work, but I'm tempted to ship it off to them... I'm sure they have a much better idea of what to look for. Anyone had experience with factory service? Fast turnaround, quality work? Worth the price of admission? I did order the low friction seals, so id likely send those off with the fork as well. Thanks again for the responses.
Do it. They'll probably upgrade anything that's more than a few years old.

I've used Fox service twice, even though I'm a semi-capable wrench.
Once I ended up with significant upgrades all for very, very attractive price.
Another time I was offered a "crash replacement" and got a brand new fork for less than dealer cost.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Just got the fork back from Fox.... One week door to door, replaced all the lower bushings, seals etc, (with SKF seals I sent in with it) and overhauled the damper. They also found a crack on one of the dropouts, so I had them replace the lowers with a brand new set for a mere $150 (which is nice anyway because they were pretty badly scuffed and scratched)... All told $309 for a butter smooth fork all checked out and tuned up with a nice new finish. Not a bad deal if you ask me! Excellent customer service too.