Quantcast

Fox 40rc2 help?

jmurph58

Chimp
Aug 15, 2008
I'm having trouble setting the correct sag for my 40rc2. I'v tried the purple spring(120-150lbs), blue spring 150-180lbs, and the green 180-210lbs. I am 185lbs. I get approximately the same sag measurement(26-31mm) every time. The correct range for 8" travel is 30-51mm. What am I missing????

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I would focus less of sag measurements and more on how each spring feels when actually riding.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I would focus less of sag measurements and more on how each spring feels when actually riding.
At 185 fox recommends the green spring it would start all my adjustments and inspections with the green one loaded. Theres no way that purple spring will yield anything but sub par performance at your weight.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
I'm 180 nekkid and I'm using the blue spring, 5 clicks of preload, LSC all the way in, 2 clicks of HSC and 3 clicks in of rebound. Not sure if that helps. Feels pretty darn good to me.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Thats a lot of LSC. Every fork I have ridden I try to have as few clicks of compression as possible.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Thats a lot of LSC. Every fork I have ridden I try to have as few clicks of compression as possible.
i run my lsc all the way in too.....hop on a moto and feel all the lo speed....it helps keep the chassis from moving all over and gives you a stable ride so your fork doesn't dive when you hit the brakes, and makes your rear end stay up top in the travel when hitting turns and berms....nice suspension will let your bike stay up in the travel without sacrificing compliance........

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Adjusters should be run in the middle 50% of their range otherwise the shimstacks aren't doing their job properly.

jmurph58

Chimp
Aug 15, 2008
are you standing up on your pedals or are you sit on the seat?
We did the mearsurments while sitting on the seat. I thought I should be standin as soon as I read your reply. My head angle is so slack maybe im not putting enough weight while sitting.

jmurph58

Chimp
Aug 15, 2008
We did the mearsurments while sitting on the seat. I thought I should be standin as soon as I read your reply. My head angle is so slack maybe im not putting enough weight while sitting.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
thats the problem....even if you stand and have a friend measure, you still may not have the proper sag even if the fork is soft or hard enough.....

the slacker the bike, the more it has a rearward bias, so you can get away with running a little softer spring.....i'm 175-180 and i run the stock spring with no preload....try running that, and unless you're bottoming all the time, or not using enough travel then that's the correct spring, so you can move on and start fine tuning other variables such as damping settings......

enjoy...

IC