Quantcast

Fox and Cane Creek Mounting hardware Q

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is FOX mounting hardware compatible with modern cane creek shocks? ie, can I buy a new CCDB IL and swap it with my FLOAT X2 without issue, or do I need to buy new hardware?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The one time it didn't work for me was when I bought a CCDB for a Spesh frame that had one odd sized bushing so I had to angle grind it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've heard that it is, but we'd need some more details on the frame & shocks to make a final determination.

also, any reason you'd swap out an x2 for a DBIL? i normally only hear of people making the reverse swap.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's on my bigger meatier cheesier, which has normal shock stuff (Fox split bushings top and bottom).

CC makes an IL in my required size, and jenson has it for cheap. It looks like they made improvements to the shock to improve reliability, and then improved the air spring to make it more corset-like. It seems like a no-brainer if I want to short shock my bike. I'm sure the X2 is marginally better, but I'm guessing that there will be virtually no difference in on-trail feel. Plus, since my bike is not retarded, it doesn't use a massive shock extender which puts a ton of side load on it.

So, minimal loss in performance, lighter weight and cheaper. I'd consider keeping the X2 then converting the bike for DH use and parting with my DH bike, but I'd also rather just keep the DH bike to trash.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

The BMC runs a 7.875x2.25 shock. I'm thinking of picking up a euro-unit shock @ 190x45, or 7.5x1.75 in freedom factors. That shaves eye to eye by 0.375" and stroke by half an inch. Bike rides 25mm lower, and has ~34mm less travel. Bottoms out sooner which will carve off some end stroke regression. I did the math @ 8mm shy of end stroke and 25mm off the top.

Not a huge fan of big travel. I think 120 is just about ideal for a trail 29er. Having the X2 in the closet and travel spacers to bring the fork back up to 150/down to 130 will make it a pretty flexible ride. I could add heavy wheels for DHing, but we'll see.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
float x2. It's a great shock. My concern is purely with the amount of travel...not quality nor geometry. Just want a shorter bike overall. I could also deal, but this isn't really a forum for dealing

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's your current shock? You could shim it / use offset bushings to try a few options before spending money on a new shock.
Or even offset reducers if you are feeling adventurous.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
float x2. It's a great shock. My concern is purely with the amount of travel...not quality nor geometry. Just want a shorter bike overall. I could also deal, but this isn't really a forum for dealing
people used to add spacers along the main piston internally to limit the amount of stroke. not sure if that's feasible with your shock.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Set the air pressure to sag as if having shorter stroke and maybe add volume spacers. The air can is the same between 2.0 and 2.25 lenghts, you'll only see difference when bottoming out anyway.