Quantcast

Fox ATV >>> Bike

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Am I the only one who looks at the ATV and Moto Shocks from Fox with envy?

The Fox Float X Evol looks really nice, lots of ajustments for an Air Shock... And what about the Podium RC3, the bottom out piston is genius. So why Fox doesn't bring all that technology to MTB?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I'd guess that its because those adjustments on a bike aren't all that necessary, and seeing as so many riders have no idea how to tune their suspension anyways, it would just make a huge mess.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Because they can. It's hilarious that I'm looking at buying some reasonably high end shocks for my Tundra from fox, and the pair of rears is less than a single RC4, by a good chuck. Just hilarious.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because they can. It's hilarious that I'm looking at buying some reasonably high end shocks for my Tundra from fox, and the pair of rears is less than a single RC4, by a good chuck. Just hilarious.
here, I'd like you to meet my friends, Supply and Demand.

octanejake

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Ma
supposedly the rc4 costs something arround $50 to manufacture and then they charge the sh_t out of it

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd guess that its because those adjustments on a bike aren't all that necessary, and seeing as so many riders have no idea how to tune their suspension anyways, it would just make a huge mess.
As opposed to genius ATV riders I suppose :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
From what I know most of the FOX MTB stuff is made overseas in Twn. Being in the manufacturing business for the last year I have learned one thing. Once you have you technologies built over seas your product is not protected to be copied. Let’s just say it’s the China and Twn way. I see why Fox builds all thier high end stuff built here in the US. That product doesn't have such a high demand as the MTB stuff. Hints why all the MTB stuff is built over seas so they can meet the demand. So I can see why its not as high tech as the Moto, ATV, Truck, and Car stuff. I had all Fox on my 03 CR250 and can say its night and day over the stock stuff.

Cecil

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
while i dont have a great deal of faith that this is accurate, how bout something to back it up?
It's probably pretty close actually. I would bet my life that its below $150, and almost certainly below $100. Under $50 might be pushing it The most expensive stuff is the marketing, WC teams ain't cheap.

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE

whats retail on a rc4 in the states? $585 or something like that? Start chopping off shop mark up, distributor mark up, and then what ever fox themselves is making.

i wouldnt be suprised if the cost on a shock is less the $100 mark as im sure % wise fox takes in the most mark up

octanejake

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Ma
while i dont have a great deal of faith that this is accurate, how bout something to back it up?
sorry man, i dont have any actual evidence to back my self up here, i was just told by some one who has worked with fox that the rc4 was one if the most marked up products costing $50 to make. and the 40s were $400 to produce.
these numbers are viable given how many different people get a cut of retail and also that they manufacture over seas, however i can't claim they are perfectly accurate

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm pretty sure that R&D, advertising costs, other marketing costs, TEAM SPONSORSHIPS, etc. etc. are not accounted for in that supposed $50 number.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Man, I bet only $6 worth of aluminum and steel goes into building that shock. I will offer Fox Shox a healthy margin on those raw material costs - $12 !

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
Man, I bet only $6 worth of aluminum and steel goes into building that shock. I will offer Fox Shox a healthy margin on those raw material costs - $12 !
more than that. Aluminum isnt that cheap these days. but its prolly no more than about 30. then once you pay for tooling and suck id say cost is only around 75. pretty cheap in large numbers

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/130918/

Some of the casting work and stanchions are produced in Taiwan. But the majority of the product is machined and assembled in Watsonville, Ca.

From what I know most of the FOX MTB stuff is made overseas in Twn. Being in the manufacturing business for the last year I have learned one thing. Once you have you technologies built over seas your product is not protected to be copied. Let’s just say it’s the China and Twn way. I see why Fox builds all thier high end stuff built here in the US. That product doesn't have such a high demand as the MTB stuff. Hints why all the MTB stuff is built over seas so they can meet the demand. So I can see why its not as high tech as the Moto, ATV, Truck, and Car stuff. I had all Fox on my 03 CR250 and can say its night and day over the stock stuff.

Cecil
HTML:
HTML:

Last edited:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
more than that. Aluminum isnt that cheap these days. but its prolly no more than about 30. then once you pay for tooling and suck id say cost is only around 75. pretty cheap in large numbers
You can figure about 1.50 to 2.00 per pound of aluminum

Cecil
Yeah, no. 80-90% of Fox manufacturing is done in the US, and one of the most expensive parts of the US to boot (CA coast, 20 miles south of Santa Cruz).

Do some research before making blanket misstatements.

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
Am I the only one who looks at the ATV and Moto Shocks from Fox with envy?

The Fox Float X Evol looks really nice, lots of ajustments for an Air Shock... And what about the Podium RC3, the bottom out piston is genius. So why Fox doesn't bring all that technology to MTB?
I think the air shocks are a terrible idea on a quad... the amount of cycles they'll go through on a high speed desert run or trails in my area (high speed) would most likely need a rebuild every couple rides. Same kind of luck I've been having with my Boxxer compared to the 40.

octanejake

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Ma
I'm pretty sure that R&D, advertising costs, other marketing costs, TEAM SPONSORSHIPS, etc. etc. are not accounted for in that supposed $50 number.
thats right, the $50 is constant for every shock. but the amount of money from each shock that goes towards the other stuff is dependant on how many they sell. so the more sold; the percent of each shock that pays for that stuff decreases